Volk GT-S or Work Varianza T1S

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright bringing this thread back on topic...

I have an 04 AT SSM and I would go with the Works. Good luck on figuring everything out and finding the best deal. Hit us up with some pics once if you get them!
Old 07-23-2007, 05:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
10-4 good buddy! Thanks for your opinion.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go with the Works. I have the same exact car as you and I am thinking about getting them at some point down the road.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Can you get the WORKS with a center cap that says WORK instead of Varianza?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Safety Car

I don't know, but I will call. I would also prefer "Work" center cap over "Varianza"

Good Idea.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Safety Car

Smile

Originally Posted by jno3434
Go with the Works. I have the same exact car as you and I am thinking about getting them at some point down the road.
Real GOOD chance I will order around Jan. 08.

Time to make 300 phone calls
Old 07-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I don't know, but I will call. I would also prefer "Work" center cap over "Varianza"

Good Idea.

I was curious because the Varianza is one of the wheels I am looking at getting. I have been having major troubles deciding on what to get. I have narrowed it down to The Racing Hart RS-721, The Maya MRS and the Work Varianza. (maybe in black chrome). I just feel the need to part with my old wheels and get something different. Black Market, here I come!
Old 07-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Safety Car

Thumbs up Nice choices

Originally Posted by twigglius
I was curious because the Varianza is one of the wheels I am looking at getting. I have been having major troubles deciding on what to get. I have narrowed it down to The Racing Hart RS-721, The Maya MRS and the Work Varianza. (maybe in black chrome). I just feel the need to part with my old wheels and get something different. Black Market, here I come!
I was also looking at the Hart RS-721 and 521, nice wheels, I don't know what

the Maya MRS looks like. But the Varianza with the machined spokes(MSP) look

great. I was first looking at the silver painted spokes but the machined are much

nicer looking. What color is your car? I guess the black chrome would look nice

on a darker car. Mine is ASM silver and want a bright center.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Moved to the LOU

My car is Antharcite... I called Work today and spoke with one of the guys for about 20 minutes. Since they make every wheel per order he said we can order whatever we want. If you want a fat lip and an offset that wont rub they will just make the wheel with a different center face. He also said you could do a staggered look by using a different center face on front and rear. Lot's of great information. Here is the Maya MRS.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Safety Car

Very nice wheel. Never seen it before. Could you PM me with the number you called about

the Work Varianza wheel. When I ordered them(then cancelled 2 months ago) I was told

a specific disc and offset with a fixed lip size. I was told that the Varianza in 19x8.5" to

fit my 07 TL-S (Brembo's) would be an R-Disc with a +40mm offset and would have a 1.5"

lip. I would like to find out if I can get a bigger lip. The only worry I have is the spokes will

be bent much more. I don't mind a 1.5" lip, but I wish I could see the difference. I was told

8-12 weeks to get them. 3 months to be safe. I will probably order Jan 08.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:32 AM
Moved to the LOU

Maya has a lot of nice wheels. check out www.dazzmotorsports.com for more on their wheels. Sending you a PM now.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Safety Car

YAH I like the MRS but looking for a silver center not chrome or grey. The MRS is available

only in 20" with the silver center. The Maya RT5 looks nice also. I like the Hart RS 721 quite

bit also. I was looking at the RH J5 Pro and a few others but they are being discontinued

soon. I bet the Maya wheels are expensive HUH. I am really leaning towards the Varianza

still. That white IS 350 on the LA Photo thread looks great. I will give them a call and PM

you after I do. I would like to get a 2" lip vs. the 1.5" lip I was told would fit my car. As long

as the spokes aren't TOO bent. I was really considering the Legend II in 19" but need to

see them on a TL in a light color. The advantage of the Legend II is there designed for

Acura, they are said to be strong, the weigh about 25# and work with regular TPMS

sensors. The Volk GT-S is still a contender, but NEED to see them in chrome silver,

not mercury silver, I want a brighter silver, and NOT RMC, NO Chrome for me.........

Forgot to ADD the Legend II costs only $350 vs. $550+...
Old 07-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
JD, I'm sure what the guy at Work told you for the Varianzas to clear the Brembos is correct...but that's just for the front...what twiggy's saying is that you can get the rear wheels with a lower offset and maybe even a different face to create a staggered look...you'll have more lip, but the wheels are both X8.5. The only catch to this is when you rotate the tires, you have to remove the tires from the wheels and remount them as opposed to just swapping the wheels.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by chill_dog
JD, I'm sure what the guy at Work told you for the Varianzas to clear the Brembos is correct...but that's just for the front...what twiggy's saying is that you can get the rear wheels with a lower offset and maybe even a different face to create a staggered look...you'll have more lip, but the wheels are both X8.5. The only catch to this is when you rotate the tires, you have to remove the tires from the wheels and remount them as opposed to just swapping the wheels.

You are correct.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Just wait, guys. I should get my Work T1S by end of next month. I will post pictures, so you guys know how it looks on a TL-S.

As for clearing Brembo, offset is really not a big factor for custom wheels. Disk type is the most important. If you have Brembo, you should get R disk from work. They are design to clear the biggest brake. Their spoke is curve. The offset won't affect the clearence because the center doesn't move. All it moves is the outer rim.
The T1S is not my first set of Work Wheel. I used to have Meister S1 on my last car with BBK and my friend is Work Wheels dealer in Hawaii. That's why I am pretty familiar with rims. My T1S setup is going to be 19x8.5 32offset R-disk with about 2" lips and 19x9.5 42offset O-disk with about 3.25" lips. My car is a 07 TL type-s with Brembo. I know the setup I picked is going to clear my Brembo. Just wait and you guys can see how much clearence it get.

By the way, this is my last car with Work Meister S1. 19x8.5 R-disk 2" lips and 19x9.5 O-disk 4" lips. Turbo Matrix XRS:

Old 07-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Moved to the LOU

what color is your car and what finish did you order?
Old 07-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Instructor

what color is your car and what finish did you order?
WDP. I was going to order Matt black because I always liike black rims with polish lips. However, my girlfriend doesn't like it because she said it makes the car look like driven by a kid. She said I needed to grow up. So, I order Polish silver.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Safety Car

Thumbs up Awesome I can't wait.

Originally Posted by terry919
Just wait, guys. I should get my Work T1S by end of next month. I will post pictures, so you guys know how it looks on a TL-S.

As for clearing Brembo, offset is really not a big factor for custom wheels. Disk type is the most important. If you have Brembo, you should get R disk from work. They are design to clear the biggest brake. Their spoke is curve. The offset won't affect the clearence because the center doesn't move. All it moves is the outer rim.
The T1S is not my first set of Work Wheel. I used to have Meister S1 on my last car with BBK and my friend is Work Wheels dealer in Hawaii. That's why I am pretty familiar with rims. My T1S setup is going to be 19x8.5 32offset R-disk with about 2" lips and 19x9.5 42offset O-disk with about 3.25" lips. My car is a 07 TL type-s with Brembo. I know the setup I picked is going to clear my Brembo. Just wait and you guys can see how much clearence it get.

By the way, this is my last car with Work Meister S1. 19x8.5 R-disk 2" lips and 19x9.5 O-disk 4" lips. Turbo Matrix XRS:

I might just do the staggered look with the same width wheel. I don't care if I

can't rotate the tires/wheels. I will just change all 4 when they get worn. I only drive

about 6-8,000 miles a year on them. My stock tires/wheels will be on about

7 months out of the year anyway...
Old 07-25-2007, 04:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
JD, the Works will look amazing on your Type S!
Old 07-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Instructor

I might just do the staggered look with the same width wheel. I don't care if I

can't rotate the tires/wheels. I will just change all 4 when they get worn. I only drive

about 6-8,000 miles a year on them. My stock tires/wheels will be on about

7 months out of the year anyway...
If you are going to do staggered look with the same width wheel, why not get wider rims on the back. You will get even more lips. Also, the front tires are going to wear out so much faster than the rear, so don't worry about rotation.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Moved to the LOU

WDP. I was going to order Matt black because I always liike black rims with polish lips. However, my girlfriend doesn't like it because she said it makes the car look like driven by a kid. She said I needed to grow up. So, I order Polish silver.
No Black Chrome? I spoke with a guy at Work and he said it's not even Chrome... It's a shiny paint that looks like Black Chrome. I was looking at Silver Polish as well. I think lightning silver is too dull.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Safety Car

Maybe ?

If you are going to do staggered look with the same width wheel, why not get wider rims on the back. You will get even more lips. Also, the front tires are going to wear out so much faster than the rear, so don't worry about rotation.
I am just worried of the car handling strange. I read(or heard) wider tires on the

rear of FWD cars makes it handle bad.??? I really don't know.

But I am really considering a 8.5" front wheel w/245 and 9.5" rear wheel and

275 tire. I want to see what comes soon.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Safety Car

The finish I first wanted was like silver paint(LS) what I think looks great is the (MSP)

which the spokes are machined brushed aluminum look. They look great. I searched

online for several days and found many pictures of cars with the MSP finish. It gives

a very shiney look like chrome without being chrome. I HATE ALL CHROME.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:00 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I am just worried of the car handling strange. I read(or heard) wider tires on the

rear of FWD cars makes it handle bad.??? I really don't know.

But I am really considering a 8.5" front wheel w/245 and 9.5" rear wheel and

275 tire. I want to see what comes soon.
Putting wider tires on the back than front, on a FWD car is retarded. You will also make the car understeer like crazy.... If you want to improve handling, you'd put wider tires on front than on back. That's precisely what GM did with the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP. It has 255 tires on front, 225 tires on back, and bilstein shocks all around.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:06 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
No Black Chrome? I spoke with a guy at Work and he said it's not even Chrome... It's a shiny paint that looks like Black Chrome. I was looking at Silver Polish as well. I think lightning silver is too dull.
I have work wheels on my G35. Work calls the finish "Burning Black"... It is not chrome. Black chrome is just a misleading name. From what I remember how the wheel shop explained it to me, is that most every company's "black chrome" is done the same way. Black undercoat with shiny top coat to give it that look.

From what I hear from other sources... The paint process to do this is actually illegal in the US because of EPA emissions regulations, so all the rims that utilize this process are made outside the US. Which is why a lot of wheel shops have problems matching the color when doing repair jobs.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Safety Car

Unhappy This is what I thought.

Originally Posted by avs007
Putting wider tires on the back than front, on a FWD car is retarded. You will also make the car understeer like crazy.... If you want to improve handling, you'd put wider tires on front than on back. That's precisely what GM did with the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP. It has 255 tires on front, 225 tires on back, and bilstein shocks all around.
YAH I have to think it would make the car understeer, makes sense.

Maybe get a diff offset with the same width (8.5") in the rear so it has a lip

about 1" more. I have time, and will see other Work Varianza applications.

I am hoping more people buy them to get an idea what they will look like

on a TL in real pictures. It would look great but I don't want the car to handle

worse. Handling is MORE important then FANCY looking wheels. But both is

awesome.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Moved to the LOU

The finish I first wanted was like silver paint(LS) what I think looks great is the (MSP)

which the spokes are machined brushed aluminum look. They look great. I searched

online for several days and found many pictures of cars with the MSP finish. It gives

a very shiney look like chrome without being chrome. I HATE ALL CHROME.

I agree... MSP looks dope. It's more vibrant than the LS color.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Instructor

Wider rims doesn't mean you have to run wider tires. I am going to run 245 all around with 9.5" rear rim. On my martix, I ran 235 on 9.5" and it looks great.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:48 AM
Safety Car

YAH, I just checked the wheel width using a 245 tire. @ Tirerack the range is 8"-9.5",

so you could use a 8.5" wheel in front and a 9.5" wheel in the back using the same

245/35/19" tires all around. It should be fine, just the weight might be a little different.

TOO bad wider tires in the rear isn't a good idea, it looks SO GREAT!
Old 08-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Seriously, there is nothing wrong with running wider tires in the rear on a FWD car. Will your car understeer more? Of course. Is it going to be dangerous? No. In fact, it may be safer for most people who don't know how to instinctively control an oversteering car.

There are a ton of people who go staggered on a RWD car which also massively increase understeer, but no one seems to think it's unsafe in those situations. For example, a Lexus GS350 that comes stock with 245-40-18s or 225-50-17s at all 4 corners. Many Lexus owners upgrade to 245 F and 275 R. This would increase understeer about the same as running the same size tires on a TL.

As for the safety aspect, when most inexperienced drivers start feeling their cars oversteer, their natural inclination is to hit the brakes which actually exacerbates the oversteer. Wider tires in the rear, regardless of whether the car is FWD or RWD, makes the car less likely to oversteer and safer for most drivers. It's probably not very safe for people to run low profile tires like 235-35-19 or 235-30-20s due to the increased likelihood of blowouts, but people do it all the time and no one seems to freak out about this.

The downside to running wider rear tires? As others have mentioned, the big one is not being able to rotate your tires. Other downsides are people who will think you're a moron for running wider rear tires on a FWD car. But, in reality, who cares what they think as long as you like the way it drives and looks.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Safety Car

I think you pointed out exactly what is true. Sounds to make sense. Who actually puts

their TL to its maximum anyways. I have a hard time using the HP with all the cops.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Moved to the LOU

I think you pointed out exactly what is true. Sounds to make sense. Who actually puts

their TL to its maximum anyways. I have a hard time using the HP with all the cops.

DUDE... Did you just sell your car?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:04 AM
Safety Car

Yes I Did

DUDE... Did you just sell your car?
Great car Can't wait for better, if thats possible
Old 08-04-2007, 11:14 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
All those posts... all those questions, all that time...
Old 08-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Safety Car

Question WOW, you are a real piece of work.

I learned alot here and appreciate all of it. I know what I need to know

when the next gen TL comes out. So EXPECT me to get a fully loaded one

when they come out. You have helped alot with your knowledge, but are

quite RUDE. Hopefully you think before you post rude comments next time...
Old 08-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lmfao.....hahahahhahaha
Old 08-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I learned alot here and appreciate all of it. I know what I need to know

when the next gen TL comes out. So EXPECT me to get a fully loaded one

when they come out. You have helped alot with your knowledge, but are

quite RUDE. Hopefully you think before you post rude comments next time...
What did you expect? I mean his title even says "The F*cking Donkey".

But as much as you hate to admit it, Kennedy is right...you spent a lot of time, effort, and money on that car only to get rid of it in six months. Given that, why don't you take a few seconds and answer the 20 or so people who have asked why you got rid of it and what you got in place of it (in various threads where you mention that you sold it).
Old 08-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Safety Car

Post I have done a favor for many TL-S owners

But as much as you hate to admit it, Kennedy is right...you spent a lot of time, effort, and money on that car only to get rid of it in six months. Given that, why don't you take a few seconds and answer the 20 or so people who have asked why you got rid of it and what you got in place of it (in various threads where you mention that you sold it).
All the questions including the thread on picking 1 of 11 wheels for the 07

TL-S will help MANY people with that car. They have a great list of wheels

that fit that car. And all the suspension posts also makes it easy for them.

They now KNOW they don't need to worry about a camber kit with Eibach

Pro springs. We ALL learn from each other through this. I am SURE all

the questions I have asked WILL help MANY newbies. Its MY PERSONAL

business what I DO with what I BUY. When the time comes, I will have

much more knowledge for my next EXPENSIVE car. Have a nice evening

I haven't seen any questions about what I bought? I will be glade to answer

any questions. MANY people have PM'd me about MANY things and I have

helped them VERY MUCH. I haven't been on here as much. BUT I ANSWER

ALL personal messages in detail.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:23 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
That title was handed to me by Trancemission himself, i've earned that... and sometime the mods pimpslap me for being too much of one.

... and I have probably spent a TL-S's value in labor hours answering JD's questions over and over... JD, don't talk to us about "investment" here, or helping folks ... and certainly don't tell my boss how much time I waste answering the questions of guys like you.

MY POST are very helpful, explanatory, with supporting resources, yet JD deliberately cast them aside in most cases to listen to "the salesman on the phone had to say..." that's always been my beef.

Good luck JD squandering away another fortune...

Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread and the OP REALLY crack me up

Quick Reply: Volk GT-S or Work Varianza T1S