VMR V810 Wheels, Brembo Friendly!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 01:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
VMR V810 Wheels, Brembo Friendly!

We all know the brembos are a tough item to work with as there is no standard offset that will work...it really comes down to the wheel design itself! I've always loved the VMR wheel sets and have always wanted to throw some of their wheels on my type s. When it came time to purchase a new set of wheels in 2016, I wanted VMR but they weren't confirmed to be brembo friendly or not yet, so I pulled the trigger on the TSW Nurburgrings. I loved them but I still kept my eye on the VMRs. A few weeks later I was happy (and unhappy) to hear that some of their wheels and specs actually cleared the type s brembos during test fit ups (thanks @LiquidXTS for going in and doing some test fits!)

ever since I had heard that some of their wheels were brembo friendly, I had a gut feeling that I would eventually run some VMRs on my TL.

fast forward 2.5 years to late 2018, and my tires were getting worn down enough that it was time to buy a new set of tires. I thought what better what time to change my wheels up than when I have to mount new tires anyway! so I hit up Tracy at VMR, who is an AWESOME guy. I've talked with Tracy on and off probably 5 years and he's always been so helpful and really defines "great customer service."

In the past I was interested in the V710 wheels, but Tracy also told me to look at the V810 wheels (these are the wheels that he used to run on his TSX before he sold it). The more and more I looked at those wheels, the more I liked them! I also liked that they were flow formed even in 18" specs so that meant weight savings. I was only interested in 18" since I feel they fit the TL better and I didn't want to spend the extra cash on 19" tires.

Finally pulled the trigger and coordinated with Tracy for local pickup (their office is about 1.5 hours from me). I went with the V810 in 18x8.5 +35, which clears brembos and isn't too aggressive to provide headaches. I got them in hyper silver because I think it provides a classy look to go along with my OEM+ theme. The lug pattern and hub bore is machined to our exact specifications so no need for any hubcentric rings! The final weight of each wheel was just under 23 pounds if I remember correctly.

I initially wanted to get as beefy tires as I could so I ordered 245/40 tires. Unfortunately with my ride height and specs, I rubbed pulling out of the parking lot after installation. Super disappointed but I was able to get the tire shop to completely replace the tires with 235/40, so it worked out in the end. The 235s are a perfect size for the 18x8.5 +35, I was just trying to get greedy with tire width haha

I'm currently running a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires in 235/40/18 on the VMR wheels and I absolutely love the combo! I painted my project mu lugs from teal to silver to match the wheel and also painted some reman brembos to bright yellow (VHT paint). Hit up Tracy for any VMR wheels (call or email them and ask for Tracy), I've already had a few people I know buy their wheels after seeing mine.

Thanks for checking out the thread!

Last edited by sockr1; 04-01-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:32 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Pure Sexy! Luv them!
Old 04-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
We all know the brembos are a tough item to work with as there is no standard offset that will work...it really comes down to the wheel design itself!
Sort of, what it all comes down to is "Back Spacing". Even if the offset is correct, if the back spacing is incorrect, the wheel will not clear the calipers; conversely, even if the offset is incorrect but the back spacing is enough, the wheel may look odd in the arch but still clear the calipers.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those look great!

Funny thing,, I tried those exact wheels a couple years back and they didn't clear the brembos and had to sen them back. Go figure! Even posted it on a thread here.. So now,, might have to revisit this.. They look fantastic !
Old 04-27-2019, 09:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelhead 6.2
Those look great!

Funny thing,, I tried those exact wheels a couple years back and they didn't clear the brembos and had to sen them back. Go figure! Even posted it on a thread here.. So now,, might have to revisit this.. They look fantastic !
My bad! It was a different wheel company. The ones I looked at were Miro wheels +35 that did not clear.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Those look great!

thanks i'm loving the wheels! if you're interested hit up tracy, he's seriously a good guy and doesn't pressure or anything if you have a ton of questions.

My bad! It was a different wheel company. The ones I looked at were Miro wheels +35 that did not clear.
ah got it, that makes sense! the brembos are so tricky to get good clearing wheels since our brembos are a little different spec-wise than other car brembos.