User Review: TEIN Basic versus TEIN SS Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Racingbrake should have some slotted UP rotors available for the MT TL....interested?
I'm more interested in the cross drilled rotors but what's the price of the slotted?
Old 12-14-2006, 08:10 PM
peemp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats royco, car is lookin good, and probably handling like a dream.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by royco
I'm more interested in the cross drilled rotors but what's the price of the slotted?

There are arguements for an against drilled rotors....and more against from what I gather. The Racingbrake UP rotors are able to achieve the performance goals of the drilled rotors without the risk of increased wear or cracking. We are still working out slotted pricing. I am actually trying to see if they will make a 6HT 2-piece rotor for you guys!

http://www.racingbrake.com/main/two_...p?display=back

Marcus
Old 12-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
There are arguements for an against drilled rotors....and more against from what I gather. The Racingbrake UP rotors are able to achieve the performance goals of the drilled rotors without the risk of increased wear or cracking. We are still working out slotted pricing. I am actually trying to see if they will make a 6HT 2-piece rotor for you guys!

http://www.racingbrake.com/main/two_...p?display=back

Marcus
Yep, I've heard a lot of them. Please let me know when you get some rotors for us 6MTers.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
tein basic, straight out of the box what is the factory drop height on a 02 TLS

thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu
tein basic, straight out of the box what is the factory drop height on a 02 TLS

thanks

Well, you need to adjust them out of the box...they have a recommended setting in the instructions. If you go off that it is about 2" down in front and 1.7" in the back. Generally, Teins settings will yeild a 1-finger gap.

Marcus
Old 01-03-2007, 11:27 PM
got boost?

I just ordered some Tien Basic coil-overs on Boxing day..can't wait to get mine in..
basics still look good...
i just want my car canned..lol..i love the low look..i'm not soo into performance anymore...
plus..TL's aren't really a performance "go-fast" car..they are a "for looks car" lol
Old 04-23-2007, 11:58 AM
peemp

Originally Posted by hamsup
I just ordered some Tien Basic coil-overs on Boxing day..can't wait to get mine in..
basics still look good...
i just want my car canned..lol..i love the low look..i'm not soo into performance anymore...
plus..TL's aren't really a performance "go-fast" car..they are a "for looks car" lol
So how did that turn out?
Old 08-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Garage Park / Ikon

hey to the owners who bought the Tein SS setups.. did you guys buy the extra pillowball mounts on top?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
you can use the OEM part of your current set up. I got these http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Honda-Gen...L-pr-4815.html
Old 08-17-2007, 08:34 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Mykizism
hey to the owners who bought the Tein SS setups.. did you guys buy the extra pillowball mounts on top?
Bad news... They're a track oriented kinda thing.
1) They wear quickly
2) They indroduce excess vibration
3) They introduce extra firmness

Ideallt, go with stock tops and Type-S upper bushings.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:49 AM
Garage Park / Ikon

Originally Posted by THTL
you can use the OEM part of your current set up. I got these http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Honda-Gen...L-pr-4815.html

sweet man thanks, thats what i was looking for
Old 08-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Why not just reuse your stock upper mounts? Why buy new ones? Your stock ones are fine unless they are torn or damaged. TEIN doesn't have the SS-P's available for the 3rd gen nor optional mounts to buy separate.

In fact, I spoke to TEIN yesterday about the SS-P's for the 3rd gen and although the design has been done for years they never got enough interest to put it into production so it likely won't be made.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
how difficult is it to swap the oem upper mounts to the teins?
Old 08-19-2007, 06:46 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
how difficult is it to swap the oem upper mounts to the teins?
are u asking if u install the teins yourself? it's not difficult if u have the right tools including a spring compressor to get the old oem mounts off.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:16 AM
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by octl
My Car: '06 Acura TL

Experience:

-Rode the stock suspension for 500 street miles
-Installed TEIN Basic and rode for another 500 street miles
-Installed TEIN SS last night and have done just about 50 miles of testing in various street conditions since.
-Been riding lowered cars since the 80's.
-Most recently: had Eibach ProKit springs on E36 BMW M3, and Neuspeed Springs on VW GTI IV
-Know a little bit about suspension and settings (mountain bike and super bike racing)
-Cars I've owned in the past: all of them, it seems, lol.

Where I ride: SoCal/OC

OBJECTIVE:

--- Well when I got the TL one of the first things I wanted to do was lower it so that I could improve both the looks as well as the performance. They were of equal importance to me.

--- I did not want to go with just lowering springs because I knew how it was from my cars before, and it would be far to bumpy for my needs (I'm not young anymore and my kids are always riding in the car, everyday). Bottom line, while I could tolerate the typical bumpy ride from a lowered car, I did not want a bumpy ride for my passengers. So what was I to do?

--- The reviews from the net are confusing, since suspension is VERY subjective and really depends on each individual. I figured my best alternatives were to choose from either the TEIN Basic or TEIN SS, because I have heard many positive things about TEIN for its quality, and also, very important was the price as well.

TEIN Basic:

The TEIN Basics were the first coilover set I had ever tried. Everything I had before was just springs. I found the ride EXCELLENT in comparison to any lowered car I have had in the past. The handling of the car was transformed, and the TL was on RAILS in comparison to stock.

I could not believe I could have my car lowered this much and still have a relatively smooth ride, that is hardly noticable in MOST road conditions out here in SoCal.

The Basics take small bumps very well, actually not very well, but excellent. You can drive through most speed bumps even and hardly tell the difference from stock - it's that good.

My conclusion is that being a person that is accustomed to lowered cars, I found the Basics a very good buy, and worth the extra money (versus just going with Lowering Springs) since I am confident the shocks will hold-up well, they are matching, and also the added bonus of being able to adjust height.

My problem with the Basics:

It's simple, I frequently have passengers, everyday. And my passengers are my kids. The Basics are stiff enough so that when there are medium to large size road surface changes, particularly a SERIES of surface changes one-after-another, you will DEFINITELY feel the stiffness.

While I don't particularly mind this as I am accustomed to it, I don't want my passengers to be bouncing there in the back seat whenever we do ocassionally run into these "unfavorable" conditions (note that the rear passengers are sitting right on top of the rear wheel, so they will feel it more than the driver). Also I am not young anymore, and I would definitely appreciate a smoother ride - but I still want my car lowered!

And so, I made the decision to spend a few hundred bucks nessary to switch to the SS in the attempt (or hopes) to have a range of damping adjustment to smoothen-out the ride, something not possibile on the Basics.

TEIN SS:

My TEIN SS was installed last night, and I have since put about 50 miles and tested on various conditions I am very familiar with. When I was on the Basics, I made sure to take note of how they were reacting to certain conditions.

First: What setting should I start with on the SS? Well, I "guessed" or "assumed" that the Basics were set right around the middle of the 16-click range of the SS.

Since I am familiar with suspension or "click" adjustments due to my backgroud in downhill Mountain Bike racing, as well as SuperBike racing, I guessed that what I would start with on the SS to achieve my goal was the following settings:

If 0 is STIFFEST and 16 clicks is SOFTEST:

I set it to 11 FRONT (5 clicks away from SOFTEST)

and 13 REAR (3 clicks away from SOFTEST)

I noticed the change in my ride in less than 1 minute, even just pulling away from Mr. Heeltoe's driveway. From that point I had a good feeling we got it right, and just what I wanted... but still I had to test it in my "areas."

I took the car out and tested it last night, and got up early this morning to beat the traffic as well.

The difference, to me, is night and day, and THIS is what I wanted out of my lowered car. It is perfect, and takes to the bumps, what can I say, just perfect, for MY needs. The car is much smoother now, ever closer to stock... but not quite!

Like the porridge and the 3 bears, the SS at the settings above is "just right" for me, and my precious kids in the back.

The handling has suffered a bit since it is softer and rolls a bit more on the curves compared to the Basics, however, still MUCH better and tighter than stock. I believe I can or "may" tighten it up for the curves by installing a sway bar, so I can still enjoy my "fun time" when I am driving alone.

Bottom line:

TEIN Basics are excellent and highly recommended if you are on a budget, accustomed to a lowered car and do not have frequent passengers in the BACK of the car. It's really very good that way.

TEIN SS is worth the extra money if you are PICKY about suspension (like me) and can really notice suspension changes, have frequent rear-seat passengers, or if you really want a nice range of adjustability for various needs (street, track or what not).

Hope this helps, and thought I'd share some info since Acurazine has been a great source of info for me too.

Last note: Mr. Heeltoe is the man - and I highly recommend him for no less than excellent price and beyond-excellent service.
all i can say is wow..this is one heck of an analysis. Good stuff man!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,012 Likes on 14,516 Posts
Yeah seriously...coming from an RSX type s on full coilovers and the perfect drop, good information to keep in mind when deciding whether or not to drop the money on lowering my 04 TL I just got. It already has an Aspec drop but the front isn't low enough for my liking! Decisions decisions!