Type-S Brake life? And replacement options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 06:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Type-S Brake life? And replacement options?

Just wondering what kind of life peopel are getting out of these Brembros, with the amount of dust they a spewing i have to beleive they will not last that long. I can usually get 25-30K miles out of most brakes, I drive ratehr mild, but I suspect the Type-S brakes will be gone long before that. Also I have not had any uck finding any non-brembo pads (Hawk, EBC) for the 07/08 Type-S. Anyoen find anything worth swapping out to?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:03 PM
2005 WDP TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I second this. I have 27k on my type s and am on my second set of pads. I hope to find a better set to swap to with less dust and squeaks
Old 10-04-2007, 04:16 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Why won't the Hawk/EBC/Axxis, etc work? Same brakes as the '06 MT, so same After Market pads, right?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Why won't the Hawk/EBC/Axxis, etc work? Same brakes as the '06 MT, so same After Market pads, right?
Wrong.

The TL-S uses DIFFERENT CALIPERS than the '04 - '06 MT TL cars

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/catdisplay.jsp

TL-S Front caliper assembly: 45022-SEP-A60

'04 - '06 MT front caliper assembly: 45022-SEP-A52

It should be noted that the caliper assemblies do NOT include the pads. Hence, the calipers themselves are different.

Log onto sites like the Tire Rack and you'll see no pads listed for the TL-S, even though you'll see several listed for the '04 - '06 MT TL cars.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by harddrivin1le
Wrong.

The TL-S uses DIFFERENT CALIPERS than the '04 - '06 MT TL cars

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/catdisplay.jsp

TL-S Front caliper assembly: 45022-SEP-A60

'04 - '06 MT front caliper assembly: 45022-SEP-A52

It should be noted that the caliper assemblies do NOT include the pads. Hence, the calipers themselves are different.

Log onto sites like the Tire Rack and you'll see no pads listed for the TL-S, even though you'll see several listed for the '04 - '06 MT TL cars.

Interesting. I did not know that.

So what are TL-S owners using as replacement pads? OEM exclusively? Are there NO TL-S owners running After Market "upgraded" pads?

2007 TL-S 5 AT Pads:

45022-SEP-A60 PAD SET, FR.

2006 TL 6 MT Pads:

45022-SEP-A53 SET, PAD FRONT
45022-SEP-A52 PAD SET, FR.

OTOH - I have read (but do not *know* and cannot confirm) that the last 2 digits in the part numbers indicate a change in supply (or similar) and NOT a change in specification. *If* that were true, then the '06 MT pads and the TL-S pads would be interchangable.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I hesitate to confirm that the parts are not interchangeable, despite the fact the numbers are different. A different number could mean little, or nothing, to us.

The last 3 digits of a Honda part number indicate country of origin or intent and supercession. Keep in mind that a 5AT TL-S may be using a different compound to cope with higher heat generated with an automatic car's lack of engine braking. Pads would still be interchangeable.

Someone needs to try it. If anyone wants to try a set of Hawk Ceramics for a 6MT on their TL-S I would be happy to take them back if they don't fit for a full refund.

Also, we do sell Racingbrake 2-piece rotors for the Brembo applications. These rotors are made of an advanced alloy and are heat treated to prevent wear. If you can't get life out of the pads, at least you can get the rotors to last 2-3 times longer.

Marcus
Old 10-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
I hesitate to confirm that the parts are not interchangeable, despite the fact the numbers are different. A different number could mean little, or nothing, to us.

The last 3 digits of a Honda part number indicate country of origin or intent and supercession. Keep in mind that a 5AT TL-S may be using a different compound to cope with higher heat generated with an automatic car's lack of engine braking. Pads would still be interchangeable.

Someone needs to try it. If anyone wants to try a set of Hawk Ceramics for a 6MT on their TL-S I would be happy to take them back if they don't fit for a full refund.

Also, we do sell Racingbrake 2-piece rotors for the Brembo applications. These rotors are made of an advanced alloy and are heat treated to prevent wear. If you can't get life out of the pads, at least you can get the rotors to last 2-3 times longer.

Marcus
Various aftermarket brake part sites (e.g. The Tire Rack) lists NO FRONT PADS for the TL-S cars, yet list several for the '04 - '06 cars.

That further supports the notion that the calipers themselves are different.

Check it out for yourself:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/index...=true&index=xx

The TL-S has been out for a full year now and The Tire Rack is generally very good at staying current with application listings.

I am having my TL-S pads replaced by the dealer under warranty on Monday and plan on requesting the '04 - '06 pads. (My front pads "groan" just prior to coming to a complete stop and/or when removing my foot from the brake just prior to starting off.) I'll see what they tell me.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Drifting

Also, I mistakenly posted the PNs for the PADS above.

Here are the PNs for the caliper assemblies:

'04 - '06 6 speed: R: 45018-SEP-A50; L: 45019-SEP-A50

TL-S: R: 45018-SEP-A60; L: 45019-SEP-A60
Old 10-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The slight variations in part #'s can also mean different suppliers of the pads. EBC has pads, Hawk does, ROTORA does. I highly doubt the caliper is any different. The pads that Brembo uses for the Acura TL can also be used on other OE Brembo setups too so it would be odd that it would change from Acura to Acura.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Excelerate
The slight variations in part #'s can also mean different suppliers of the pads. EBC has pads, Hawk does, ROTORA does. I highly doubt the caliper is any different. The pads that Brembo uses for the Acura TL can also be used on other OE Brembo setups too so it would be odd that it would change from Acura to Acura.

While this may be true, it is also true that neither Hawk nor Rotora list ANY pad for ANY 2007 TL on their website fitment guides. And EBC only lists pads for the base model.

The car's been out a year, you'd think they'd want us to know what products they offer for our cars.

(I *know* you let us know Josh, but not everybody who owns a TL or TL-S is here.)
Old 10-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Drifting

There is no such thing as a "slight variation" when it comes to part numbers.

A different part number means a different part - period.

And again, the TL-S FRONT CALIPERS are different parts (with different part numbers) than those used on the '04 - '06 6 speed TL cars.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
I second this. I have 27k on my type s and am on my second set of pads. I hope to find a better set to swap to with less dust and squeaks

How long did the first set last?
Old 10-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Former Sponsor

There is no such thing as a "slight variation" when it comes to part numbers.

A different part number means a different part - period.

And again, the TL-S FRONT CALIPERS are different parts (with different part numbers) than those used on the '04 - '06 6 speed TL cars.
A different part number means a different part number but it doesn't mean the part is entirely different. Honda does use different factories for different parts. It could just be another brand not different dimensions.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:34 PM
2005 WDP TL

Originally Posted by KeithL
How long did the first set last?
i went in for an oil change and they informed me that I was around 15% (IIRC) around 22-23k and I changed them shortly thereafter.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Drifting

A different part number means a different part number but it doesn't mean the part is entirely different. Honda does use different factories for different parts. It could just be another brand not different dimensions.

Your "logic" is based solely on speculation.

Here are the facts:

1) The Acura caliper assembly PNs are different.

2) The Acura pad PNs are different.

3) Major replacement brake parts retailers (e.g. The Tire Rack) and pad manufacturers (e.g. EBC) aren't listing ANY pads for the TL-S, even though they list several for the '04 - '06 6 speed cars.

The COMBINATION of those facts strongly suggests that the '04 - '06 pads won't fit TL-S calipers. At the very least, it presents enough doubt for me to avoid making the purchase.

I will buy replacement pads for this car once I see them listed for this car.

Anyone who is wise will do the same.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my TL-S since march and I have racked up just over 19K miles. I'm beginning to hear a slight squeeling when making slow rolling stops. I plan to take a look at the the pads and rotors tomorrow afternoon. I'll probably just replace with pads right from the dealer, I have no complaints with the ones that came stock. Anyone suggest a different alternative?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
miss the point of this thread vader?

LOGIC says tirerack and others all depend on someone else to provide them information, possibly in a far away country....

So what if a car has been out a year or 2, thats barely any sales numbers for them to be concerned with. And then other projects for very high dollar products may take priority over a TL, like a Viper, Vette, nextgen supercar etc would be more important dollar wise for their time.

The caliper part number change could mean something like a 2Mil change in a piston diameter, like the old Legends had 4 or 5 calipers between the coupe,wagon, year, each with a little different size pistons- that was all the differance in the 2 piston calipers

With Marcus- MrHeelToe making the offer of: anyone with the "new" calipers buy a set of the pads he ~thinks~ will work
If they don't work for any reason- FULL REFUND
what more could you want than to find out they work, and let all the other ziners know its ok to buy what you need/want from either of our brake vendors
Old 10-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
miss the point of this thread vader?

LOGIC says tirerack and others all depend on someone else to provide them information, possibly in a far away country....

So what if a car has been out a year or 2, thats barely any sales numbers for them to be concerned with. And then other projects for very high dollar products may take priority over a TL, like a Viper, Vette, nextgen supercar etc would be more important dollar wise for their time.

The caliper part number change could mean something like a 2Mil change in a piston diameter, like the old Legends had 4 or 5 calipers between the coupe,wagon, year, each with a little different size pistons- that was all the differance in the 2 piston calipers

With Marcus- MrHeelToe making the offer of: anyone with the "new" calipers buy a set of the pads he ~thinks~ will work
If they don't work for any reason- FULL REFUND
what more could you want than to find out they work, and let all the other ziners know its ok to buy what you need/want from either of our brake vendors
Does the "full refund" include shipping charges?

Is he going to refund me for the time I've wasted if they don't fit?

I am not going to be someone else's lab animal. I'll wait until I see parts listed for my year and model.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Here are the facts:

3) Major replacement brake parts retailers (e.g. The Tire Rack) and pad manufacturers (e.g. EBC) aren't listing ANY pads for the TL-S, even though they list several for the '04 - '06 6 speed cars.

The COMBINATION of those facts strongly suggests that the '04 - '06 pads won't fit TL-S calipers. At the very least, it presents enough doubt for me to avoid making the purchase.

But you don't have any evidence supporting your assertion either. Just because others don't claim fitment does not mean it doesn't fit. Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

The suggestion might be there, but you need to try to know for sure. I already offered to send some to try. If they don't fit, return them. Then we can end this.

Josh and I both seem to agree on this. I think we have played with a few different part numbers in the past.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Does the "full refund" include shipping charges?

Is he going to refund me for the time I've wasted if they don't fit?

I am not going to be someone else's lab animal. I'll wait until I see parts listed for my year and model.

You sure like to complain...don't you. That was a pretty good offer I made and you pissed on it. WTF kind of community is this? One where people contribute, or one where people get all self-rietious (sp?) and argumentative?

Anyone willing to contribute more that complaints is welcome to take me up on it.

Marcus
Old 10-06-2007, 03:15 AM
Team Owner

Anyone with enough time to sit and say their time is so valuable they wont spend 20 minutes swapping out Brembo pads to let others know for sure- probably doesnt own the tools or skills for the job

How about someone who IS willing to be test subject step up for the group
I bet Marcus would even help install them if you're near L.A. !

If I had a 6mt I would be there immediatly

Marcus needed other brakes tested and report back to him- I was all over that!!

the really funny part of HDs issue is the shipping cost-
from northern NJ to RI-
dont they just toss the packages underhand to reach destinations there?
Old 10-06-2007, 05:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had 60,000 on my '05's Brembo's, and were going strong when I traded for my '07.
Dusting is the big problem, but it doesn't necessarily equate to faster wear.
If you get CBP on a Type "S", the wheels hide the dusting somewhat, but it is an optical illusion
Old 10-06-2007, 05:53 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
You sure like to complain...don't you. That was a pretty good offer I made and you pissed on it. WTF kind of community is this? One where people contribute, or one where people get all self-rietious (sp?) and argumentative?

Anyone willing to contribute more that complaints is welcome to take me up on it.

Marcus
Why don't YOU put your money where your mouth is and send someone with a TL-S a set of pads under the condition that they will reimburse you for the shipping costs and HALF of YOUR (wholesale) cost if they fit?

My time is worth roughly $65 an hour and I'm not going to waste at least that long attempting to install pads that aren't guaranteed to fit. Similarly, I am unwilling to front the shipping costs (both delivery and return) if they don't fit.

Others must share my opinion, since no-one has yet accepted your "pretty good offer."

The TL-S has been out for more than 12 full months. In all likelihood, the various pad manufacturers would be including it in their parts listings if their existing '04 - '06 MT pads fit it.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:34 AM
2005 WDP TL

Why don't YOU put your money where your mouth is and send someone with a TL-S a set of pads under the condition that they will reimburse you for the shipping costs and HALF of YOUR (wholesale) cost if they fit?

My time is worth roughly $65 an hour and I'm not going to waste at least that long attempting to install pads that aren't guaranteed to fit. Similarly, I am unwilling to front the shipping costs (both delivery and return) if they don't fit.

Others must share my opinion, since no-one has yet accepted your "pretty good offer."

The TL-S has been out for more than 12 full months. In all likelihood, the various pad manufacturers would be including it in their parts listings if their existing '04 - '06 MT pads fit it.
Damn dude.....if your time is SO fucking valuable then you have wasted a least 120 dollars posting your bullshit pissyness on here. Don't install the brake pads.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
Damn dude.....if your time is SO fucking valuable then you have wasted a least 120 dollars posting your bullshit pissyness on here. Don't install the brake pads.
Here's an idea. Why don't YOU install them on YOUR TL-S using YOUR money and YOUR time.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:07 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
^
hardriven is the most confrontational guy I've ever met. Look up his posts. We all owe him something for his greatness.

Marcus and Josh are correct. The end numbers on the PN's usually indicate a color code, a manufacturer source code, or part supersession. Just because the PN don't match doesn't mean the part won't work. Look at all the TL-S parts that farm over, but have different PN's - Taillights, interior trim, swaybar, etc...

It's funny harddriven is arguing this because, I explained this exact concept with TPMS sensors. All the TPMS sensors for the TL are inter-compatible, even thought the Type S has a new PN and a smaller form factor... They still work in the 2006s... and vice versa.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=tpms

Tirerack could be slow to upload new data, or thier suppliers are being slow in "confirming" fitment on the Type-S - it's that simple.

Marcus, find a local guy. I've got $5 that says they're gonna work great
Old 10-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Here are the facts:

My logic as well as Marcus' is based on experience and knowledge of Honda parts, which I am sure when combined is far more extensive than yours.

It's funny how AEM didn't know their intake fit the 07 TL or the TL-S and yet AZ members did first. The part # wasn't listed to fit an 07 so how did it fit? The same part # somehow mysteriously fits the RL too. How is this possible? The part #'s don't reflect that.

It's funny that Acura shows 51605-SEP-A11 to be the part # for the front shock of a 04 TL M/T and 51605-SEP-A14 to be the part # for the front shock for a 07 TL-S and 51605-SEP-A05 to be the part # for a 07 TL and 51605-SEP-A04 to be the part # for a 06 TL A/T and yet they all fit the 04-07 TL. Slight variations in part #'s can just mean slight differences. In the case of the brake pads maybe they made it with 1mm more of material, or from a different factory or brand, or maybe they made it with a slightly higher temp range. An aftermarket brake pad would generally already have a higher temp range so it wouldn't even matter.

You know what else is funny. Here is a list of cars with Brembo packages from the factory and they all have the same part # for the pad.

Acura TL 04-07 M/T
Cadillac CTS-V 04-06
Ford Mustang GT 05
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO 2/98-06
Subaru WRX STi 03-06
Volvo S60 04-06, V70 R AWD 04-06

So my logic is based on facts and experience, and years of working with part #'s. And these "strongly suggest" that the pad for the 04-06 TL w/ Brembo calipers will work on the 07 TL-S. Am I saying it will definitely? No. But it seems it will.

You can do whatever you want. No one asked you to put them on your car. In fact, you didn't even create this thread so I really don't understand why you're getting so bent out of shape about this.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

Great discoveries of mankind are made by those willing to work outside the known values.

With the number of post by members needing these pads- and not one will spend a c-note with a refund guarantee on the parts behind it!
Whats wrong with you people. Brakes are simple to change and our vendors dont happen to own every car made by acura. If you live near one of them-
be a stand-up guy and learn for the group and advise.

No test pilots in the group??- I find that very hard to believe with so many low flying speed mods done to the cars

And for the ~gonna wait' ers~--
keep on waiting- dont worry- be happy
those brembo sized rotors are cheap to replace when the pad starts eating them~
Josh or Marcus will be happy to hook you up with the replacement$ rotors to match the pads they both had and you needed a month ago
Old 10-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Drifting

My logic as well as Marcus' is based on experience and knowledge of Honda parts, which I am sure when combined is far more extensive than yours...

So my logic is based on facts and experience, and years of working with part #'s. And these "strongly suggest" that the pad for the 04-06 TL w/ Brembo calipers will work on the 07 TL-S. Am I saying it will definitely? No. But it seems it will..
Then you won't mind sending me a pair of pads at YOUR EXPENSE.

I will reimburse you for half of YOUR (wholesale) cost if they fit. Otherwise I will mail them back to you - as long as you include a box with pre-paid postage to cover that cost.

You're likely unwilling to do that, since you don't want to assume the risk.

Yet, you expect your customers to assume even MORE risk (since their costs are higher than yours and they have to cover the labor).
Old 10-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Team Owner

I believe the type of person who can evaluate and report factually also does their own work on the car
Since I wont allow anyone near my car, that makes me the tech in charge of doing it right

HD- you are not the one for this test!!
no matter how bad you want to save 50 bucks on brake pads for your 40g car, this needs a person who cares, not a shop, to examine- compare- install- test
The pads either match backing plates and allowable thickness or they dont-
that's not even a full brake job- pull one set of pads- from brembos! too easy!!
Old 10-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Team Owner

testing products and giving feedback to the forum gains you rep points and good karma
Old 10-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Drifting

testing products and giving feedback to the forum gains you rep points and good karma
Then go buy a brand new TL Type S and try installing the '04 - '06 MT pads on it. Then post pics of the install to prove they work.

I will then use my own money to buy a set for myself.

For the record, I plan on installing my OWN front pads. So your argument below is baseless and false:

HD- you are not the one for this test!!
no matter how bad you want to save 50 bucks on brake pads for your 40g car, this needs a person who cares, not a shop, to examine- compare- install- test..
Old 10-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your time is worth $65 per hour, how much money have you been wasting by arguing with a bunch of people in this forum?
Old 10-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kennedy
^
hardriven is the most confrontational guy I've ever met. Look up his posts. We all owe him something for his greatness.
Tell us all about how spring pre-load alters the spring CONSTANT again...

You were WRONG. Period.

It's sometimes necessary to be "confrontational" in order to expose ignorance and/or malice (e.g. trying to sell people parts that aren't proven to fit a certain application).
Old 10-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Then you won't mind sending me a pair of pads at YOUR EXPENSE.

I will reimburse you for half of YOUR (wholesale) cost if they fit. Otherwise I will mail them back to you - as long as you include a box with pre-paid postage to cover that cost.

You're likely unwilling to do that, since you don't want to assume the risk.

Yet, you expect your customers to assume even MORE risk (since their costs are higher than yours and they have to cover the labor).
I think you're confused. No where in this thread did I tell anyone to buy the pads from me or tell anyone to install them for me. I only offered my insight into the situation. Look at my posts.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Team Owner

then why are you bitching about labor expense?
Like pushing 2 pins and pulling 2 pads is a major hassle- they are race designed quick change brakes- have you even LOOKED in there at all???
5 minutes, I could have the wheel off and the pads out- its that easy, I know because I have done it on race cars and 05 TL 6MT

Maybe I should buy a car....you're the one who needs brakes not me-
keep driving on worn out brakes and you will be the one buying a new car

I trust Marcus and get me the good stuff. He worked Honda parts for several years and as a tech there too, knows his parts numbers and how trhey work
Other examples of parts not listed yet- the TEIN SS for 04-06 TL and TSX, -same as 07-08 models, but the books and websites not listed yet.

Add to that your very negative attitude HD- you ~expect them not to work~ so a prepaid return box should be included AND you want them for half price IF they work??
Why is that a good thng for the vendor- waste money on a return postage thats never going to get used

and nothing against Josh - I got my killer headligfhts from him

Now, where is that Ignore Member feature???
Old 10-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Drifting

then why are you bitching about labor expense?
Like pushing 2 pins and pulling 2 pads is a major hassle- they are race designed quick change brakes- have you even LOOKED in there at all???
5 minutes, I could have the wheel off and the pads out- its that easy, I know because I have done it on race cars and 05 TL 6MT
5 minutes?

I have the Acura procedure AND an entire set of DIY photos.

Applying the disc quiet/molykote to the backing plates alone will take more than 5 minutes.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Team Owner

Josh - I think he was directing that at Marcus
"e.g. trying to sell people parts that aren't proven to fit a certain application"

Neither vendor is advertising these for sale- 1 is asking for a member to try them with a no risk refund- thats how companies find out what fits.
Look at Outlaw Engineering or Tein websites- they ask for cars to be loaned to them for prototype testing and developement. They may take your car and beat it at the track- you signed a waiver!- and at the end, they may decide to give you the parts-
or decide to shelve the idea and remove their parts, put yours back on and say thank you
have a nice day

Would someone in LA please call Marcus and do the test fit please
Old 10-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Drifting

I think you're confused. No where in this thread did I tell anyone to buy the pads from me or tell anyone to install them for me. I only offered my insight into the situation. Look at my posts.
You are an "official vendor" attempting to sell parts that may or may NOT fit a specific application.

I see no integrity in such an approach - even if you're only providing "insight."

Mail me a set of pads. I will attempt to install them. I will reimburse you for HALF of your total cost (whole parts plus shipping) if they fit.

The '04 - '06 MT front pads might well fit the '07 - '08 TL Type S. But I'm not willing to front MY money and MY time/effort to serve as someone else's lab animal.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Josh - I think he was directing that at Marcus
"e.g. trying to sell people parts that aren't proven to fit a certain application"
He quoted my previous post and then added that blurb so he directed at me also.

Quick Reply: Type-S Brake life? And replacement options?