AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Tires, Wheels & Suspension (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/)
-   -   TPMS System Error - How to get rid of? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/tpms-system-error-how-get-rid-965496/)

Tidy Whitey 12-20-2017 09:00 PM

TPMS System Error - How to get rid of?

So I recently bought an '06 TL that is missing the TPMS on all 4 tires, the previous owner removed them, so now every single time I hop in the car and go anywhere, within a minute or two a TPMS error message comes up, and I have to hit the reset button, and then the TPMS light just lingers for the rest of the drive. Does anyone know a way that I can permanently avoid seeing this message without having to buy all new sensors? I really don't have the money for them.

Thanks!

Turbonut 12-21-2017 06:20 AM

Usually there is no way to stop the alarm when the car is started, need to install the sensors.
Probably be able to purchase and have them installed <$100.

justnspace 12-21-2017 06:49 AM

buy the sensors.

donaldoo 12-22-2017 10:12 PM

Sensor are cheaper now from the dealer $25 each

thoiboi 12-22-2017 10:46 PM

Electrical tape to cover it?

llllBULLSEYE 12-23-2017 11:15 AM

There is no way to get rid of this message. It has annoyed me for 3 years
last week I got around to finally installing all 4 sensors since I got new wheels.
Picked them up on Amazon programed
for $32 each shipped (Schrader 28981 TPMS sensor)
or you can pick them up from the dealer for about the same.
They will probably charge $40-60 to install them all at a tire shop depending where you go.

Tidy Whitey 12-26-2017 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by llllBULLSEYE (Post 16153429)
last week I got around to finally installing all 4 sensors since I got new wheels.
They will probably charge $40-60 to install them all at a tire shop depending where you go.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but were the sensors preprogrammed? (The Schrader ones on amazon), I’m looking to just buy them but not sure how to get them programmed, and would like to avoid paying $$$ for somebody to do it for me. How did you do it?

llllBULLSEYE 12-26-2017 02:29 PM

Yeah they come preprogrammed.
Just install them and drive a mile or 2
for the system to pick them up.

NBP04TL4ME 12-26-2017 03:28 PM

^^^ :nod:

New TPMS sensors should synch up within a couple of miles.

MyGuti 12-28-2017 01:27 PM

are these the same brand that the vehicle originally comes with?

Originally Posted by llllBULLSEYE (Post 16153429)

Tidy Whitey 01-12-2018 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by llllBULLSEYE (Post 16154140)
Yeah they come preprogrammed.
Just install them and drive a mile or 2
for the system to pick them up.

Thanks for the help. I also have aftermarket wheels, do you think there is a possibility that these won't fit? Or are TPMS sensors basically universal fit?

llllBULLSEYE 01-13-2018 10:42 AM

They will fit mounting is universal

maska 02-19-2018 03:03 PM

hi guys,
I been struggling with this issue more than a month.My car got in accident and TPMS initiator got broken, so I purchased OEM used one and installed.
Now, when i turn ignition on, i see 3 tires shows correct pressure, but on the side where i replaced the initiator (not TPMS sensor) shows 58 psi (max) then when i start drive about 10 min after, it shows TPMS error, on all wheels. I know the problem with initiator. I purchase the new one from dealer, same problem. Dealer asking me 200$ to troubleshoot and programming using Honda diagnostic tool.
I did research and found that Bartec manufacture has tool to program trough ODB2 port. But it is about 2k$.
I have service manual also but, that troubleshooting page is missing.
Can anyone help me with information or tools to program it?
Last option to go to dealer, but i dont want to do so, it is very ridiculous price.I have experience programming SRS module, so I am OK if someone can tell me what or where take a look.
I appreciate your help.

maska 02-19-2018 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by maska (Post 16187947)
hi guys,
I been struggling with this issue more than a month.My car got in accident and TPMS initiator got broken, so I purchased OEM used one and installed.
Now, when i turn ignition on, i see 3 tires shows correct pressure, but on the side where i replaced the initiator (not TPMS sensor) shows 58 psi (max) then when i start drive about 10 min after, it shows TPMS error, on all wheels. I know the problem with initiator. I purchase the new one from dealer, same problem. Dealer asking me 200$ to troubleshoot and programming using Honda diagnostic tool.
I did research and found that Bartec manufacture has tool to program trough ODB2 port. But it is about 2k$
I have service manual also but, that troubleshooting page is missing.
Can anyone help me with information or tools to program it?
Last option to go to dealer, but i dont want to do so, it is very ridiculous price.I have experience programming SRS module, so I am OK if someone can tell me what or where take a look.
I appreciate your help.

I also went Americas tire store, where they have the tool, I agree to pay the fee, but the tech. was not knowledgeable enough to do so..

Chad05TL 03-12-2018 11:30 PM

I do not think the TPMS has to be reset like the SRS system. I installed TPMS on my 2005, with a 08 TypeS speedometer. And the TPMS system worked fine from the time I installed it. but getting the SRS light to turn off on the speedo required a different SRS and a different passenger side OPDS (? forgot the name) so yes, I had to reset it with a Honda Tool that I bought online. That said, the TPMS did not require any "resetting".
This is all you can do. The dealer can only implement "module replacement". I highly doubt they are going to reprogram anything.
#1, check the wiring on the side where you have the problem. There are 3 wires. If any are touching or grounding out, it will cause a problem.
#2. verify you have the correct local initiator. I suspect you do have the correct initiator since you replaced the other one and neither one works.
#3 verify the batteries are good in the tire sensor unit. (again not likely the problem since you replaced the entire unit, hopefully with a new one because batteries do die sometimes.)
#4 get a new TPMS brain. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Acura-...tYfQuH&vxp=mtr
The brain is mounted behind the rear seat.
The only connections the brain has to the network is FCAN (high and low) and power. If neither of these were working, then I do not think you would receive even the 3 good readings from the other pressure sending units.
My guess would be a bad wire, or a bad circuit in the "brain". You can trace the wire. try jiggling the wire or moving it to see if it is able to get an accurate reading.

nhizzat 03-25-2018 09:10 PM

New to the Acura/Honda world, does anyone have these Schrader TPMS sensors installed on aftermarket wheels? I ask because I know there are 2 different 5spoke wheels for the TL, one with the TPMS cutout and one without. First time dealing with TPMS and aftermarket wheels.

VisualEchos 03-30-2018 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by llllBULLSEYE (Post 16164601)
They will fit mounting is universal

Hmmm, I sent a set back a few years ago because they wouldn't fit my Miro's. I wonder if they were a different set.

Hmmm...