Toyo Proxes 4 Winter Performance...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyo Proxes 4 Winter Performance...

Hey all...

I just had someone PM me with a good question about my new Toyos and their performance in the winter. In short, they were good, but definitely not great. These last few storms in Chicago have been absolutely brutal, so I figured now was as good as any to see how they do.

I will say they've been better than the EL42s that I had previously. I think the thing that hurt my traction compared to others that have said they upgraded is that I, indeed, did make the bump up in size to protect my beaten up rims. (I do a lot of work in the Blue Island, Harvey, Hammond, Gary, IN areas....not such good road surfaces you know!)

Anyway they're 245/45/17s -- a little more rubber but a much smoother ride. (Not nearly as bone rattling as the ELs). Snow / Rain traction generally is better with a thinner tire, so....my hypothesis works in my head.

I'd love to hear how someone with the 235s has done so far, or if anyone else has found a miracle tire that tops all others.

Love my Proxes4, but things are still a bit slickery in the worst of storms...
Old 12-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
Moved to Tires, Wheels & Suspension
Old 12-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mindworm
Hey all...

I just had someone PM me with a good question about my new Toyos and their performance in the winter. In short, they were good, but definitely not great. These last few storms in Chicago have been absolutely brutal, so I figured now was as good as any to see how they do.

I will say they've been better than the EL42s that I had previously. I think the thing that hurt my traction compared to others that have said they upgraded is that I, indeed, did make the bump up in size to protect my beaten up rims. (I do a lot of work in the Blue Island, Harvey, Hammond, Gary, IN areas....not such good road surfaces you know!)

Anyway they're 245/45/17s -- a little more rubber but a much smoother ride. (Not nearly as bone rattling as the ELs). Snow / Rain traction generally is better with a thinner tire, so....my hypothesis works in my head.

I'd love to hear how someone with the 235s has done so far, or if anyone else has found a miracle tire that tops all others.

Thanks for posting! I posted a week or two ago asking about the Proxes 4's in snow and didn't get any feedback.

Since then, my TL with 245-45/17 Proxes 4's went through two minor snows. I will concur with you and say that they are okay, but not great. The good thing is I can use the CRV when the snow gets bad. Or I can break down and spend the dollars on a set of snows for the extra set of stock rims I have sitting in the garage.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Are they still a step up from the stock EL's as far as snow is concerned?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mindworm
Hey all...

Mindworm, thanks for the quick response to my PM.

Figuring whatever tires I purchased, I would be leaving them on my OEM wheels November - April with my speedsters(also wrapped in toyo proxes 4) going on the other 6 months. I also figured that the proxes 4 in any snow condition HAS to be better than what I went through last thursday with the EL42's. I have never felt so out of control driving a car as I did last thursday with the EL42's on. For reference, I was going around 25mph and could barely keep it on the road(I-294) with an average amount of snow/slush on the road. I ended up staying at my sister's house on my way home from O'hare as I didn't feel the TL would make it to mine.

So I went ahead and ordered them in 235/45/17 from www.edgeracing.com for $108 a tire. I should have them on by the end of this week or early next. I will post a review when I encounter another day of driving in the white stuff.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To clarify, the 245's are STILL better than the ELs, without question. They're just not suction cups in brutal weather. The 235s......hmmmmm.

Less width, less rubber in general to cut through the slushy muck -- theoretically, they should be nails.

Can't wait to hear about 'em, Blue....
Old 12-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Team Anthracite Member

will the 235 toyo proxes offer any more rim protection than the 235 EL's?

Or is the 245 the only way to get this protection?