Toyo Proxes 4 OR Kumho Ecsta ASX

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyo Proxes 4 OR Kumho Ecsta ASX

I have an 04 Acura TL (Automatic) with 38, 500 miles on it. I had the OEM tires on it for so far! I don't think many others were able to get so many miles out of them. I am a pretty aggressive drive, but one reason could be that about 1/3rd of these are long distance highway miles. I didn't really have many problems with it (except for minor flatspotting). Last time I was at the dealer for oil change, he recommended that I change the tires within 4K to 5K miles. And also, lately I have been experiencing some aquaplanning and increased vibration & bumpiness, so I think I should change them as soon as I can.

After doing some research and going through the various posts on this site, I have narrowed my choices down to either the Toyo Proxes 4 or the Kumho Ecsta ASX. I would prefer to buy them from a local tire shop for better customer service and the free rotation and balance stuff. Both these tires are priced similarly in local shops (only about $10-15 difference). Below is my summary on the two and I need help from you guys to select the one I should go with.
Kumho Ecsta ASX:
Pros:
1. Available at Sears. So, when I relocate in the near future, I will still have access to their service (for free rotation, balance, road hazard, etc.).
2. 30K Miles Warranty! So little extra peace of mind.
Cons:
1. Not as many reviews as Toyo Proxes 4. Toyos seem to have more number of reviews than Kumhos. This may not be necessarily a bad thing & could only be that they are newer tires. And, except for only a couple of bad reviews, most of the reviews have been good. So, am not sure if I should really be concerned about this fact.

Toyo Proxes 4:
Pros:
1. Lots of positive reviews!
Cons:
1. Not available at any national chain with local stores (like Sears, Pep Boys, Firestone, etc.). So, when I relocate in the near future, I will have to pay extra for rotation, balance, road hazard, etc.
2. I am not familiar with the one local shop that has quoted me a decent price for these, so am not comfortable with doing business with them.
3. No warranty like Kumho (except for the 500 mile satisfaction guarantee)
I need input from you guys on the following:
  • So, are the Toyo Proxes 4s that much better than Kumhos that they are worth the extra initial cost and then the extra recurring cost for rotation, balance, etc.?
  • Is one of these better as far as flatspotting goes. I think they both seem to have it to some extent (from what I have read on the various forums).
  • Is one better in terms of road grip and stability (while fast cornering, changing lanes, wet roads, etc.)?
  • And which ones are quieter?

There may be other better choices, but PLEASE DO NOT RECOMMEND me another brand/tire as I have spent enough time on this already

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Another Charlottean! Cool!!

I can't speak to the Kumho's, but I can speak to the Toyo's...I have them on my car now (245/35/19)...AWESOME tire!! The ride with these on stock 17's would be phenomenal. The ride with 19's is the same as the 17's with EL42's (which if the 17's were still on the car, I probably would be getting the same mileage out of them as you...had them for 8k+ miles and barely any wear).

Also, you can get them at Discount Tire, which is a national chain...it's not on their website, but they can get them, just go in and ask or call...and they'll match internet pricing from anywhere (just bring proof). The one in Pineville (South Blvd. just north of 485) is great...very helpful, friendly, knowledgeable, etc...and the tech's know what they're doing. I highly recommend them.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I have ASX on my car right now and I like them a lot. 225/40/18 for 87 bucks apiece. Can't beat that.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had Kumho Ecsta ASX for a short time before and I liked them for the price. The tires are pretty quiet and have OK traction, dry or wet. The tires, however, made the steering feel a little dull. They also lose grip pretty early and sometimes without warning.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Cruisin'

Recent tire review

Car and Driver did a review of performance tires last month. The Goodyear F1's came out on top there. I'd gotten them 10 months ago and would agree with the C&D review. The link is:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10252
Old 02-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dave1315
Car and Driver did a review of performance tires last month. The Goodyear F1's came out on top there. I'd gotten them 10 months ago and would agree with the C&D review. The link is:

Dave1315,

Thanks for the info. Although I appreciate such valuable input (from you & others who may know of other better tires), I really would like to keep this thread limited to comparision between the Toyo Proxes 4 and the Kumho Ecsta ASX. Otherwise I will never be able to decide on a tire and will be doing online research forever
Old 02-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave1315

Wow, great review. I've been lookin for new tires myself and this artical is just what I needed to pick an all around good tire thanks.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

I have Toyo Proxes on my OEM wheels and I love them. Granted, I only have 3000 miles, so I can't give you any real long term perspective on them. But, so far they've been great. They're not very noisy and handle pretty well.

I wouldn't consider myself an aggressive driver. But, I'm pretty confident in them considering my driving style. I've definitely taken some fast turns in them and done some moderate cornering.

They look great too. I love the tread pattern and the way they look when shined up.

I'm happy with my choice thus far.