Tokico HPs

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Tokico HPs

Considering Tokico HPs as replacements for the stock dampers on my TL (with 101K+ miles). However, I'm a bit confused by something.

I've seen several posts about people using the Accord V6 version (HU3761, HU3762) on the TL and I understand that they are a bit cheaper ($30+ each) than the TL-specific version (HU3800, HU3801) but I wonder about this:

1) Will the Accord V6 version fit without any modifications to the shocks or the car?

2) How much difference is there in the valving between the Accord and TL versions?

Now, if the Accord shocks will fit on the TL, what about the Tokico HPs for the TSX (HU3781, HU3782)? They fit between the Accord and TL versions in price but are they valved for the TSX's lighter curb weight and would probably be too soft on the TL?

I want to tighten the car's handling (less pitch and roll in turns) and ride (less float) but I'm afraid that the Accord shocks will only provide a small improvement over the stock shocks. I want a noticeable improvement without going too crazy (i.e. no lowering springs or adjustable shocks).
Old 08-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I believe you can use the tokicos made for the accord on the TL. I personally would buy the ones made for the TL. They're designed for them and why not avoid the chance of a problem. I understand you want to save money but is it worth it? As far as improving the ride and handling, I put the HP's on my 1992 Maxima (stock springs) and it made the ride much smoother. I didn't notice a drastic improvement in handling. A rear swaybar like comptech or progress with the tokicos I think would give you better handling and keep the ride very close to stock
Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Racer

Oh I'm sorry I didn't know you had the comptech RSB.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Instructor

So what do you mean by "made the ride much smoother"? Was the ride softer than stock (soaking up the bumps) or firmer than stock (smoothing out any float)?

I would expect the ride, at least on the TL, to become firmer with the HPs since they are suposed to be more sport-oriented than the stock shocks. However, I'd like to get an idea how much firmer (with stock 5AT springs).

I think it would be difficult to compare the effects of HPs on a TL and a '92 Maxima because of the differences in the applications.

My goal is not to keep the ride close to stock. I would like the ride to be firmer but not abusive like I encountered with putting Eibachs and Konis (red) on my Accord years ago. I'm getting too old for that.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Racer

Ok I would say from my experience they are about 15-20% stiffer than the OE's. When someone wants to improve handling without sacrificing ride I was advised to do three things 1) stiffer (not harsh) shocks 2) thicker swaybars 3) wider tires/ larger wheels. When I said it made the ride smoother, what I meant is the firmer shocks controlled movement better and I felt that as smoother. I don't think you will find the ride harsh if you just upgrade the shocks. Have you gone to their website: www.tokicogasshocks.com. I think you will get some improvement in handling with the tokicos. But don't expect tremendous gains

Originally Posted by TSX-S2000
So what do you mean by "made the ride much smoother"? Was the ride softer than stock (soaking up the bumps) or firmer than stock (smoothing out any float)?

I would expect the ride, at least on the TL, to become firmer with the HPs since they are suposed to be more sport-oriented than the stock shocks. However, I'd like to get an idea how much firmer (with stock 5AT springs).

I think it would be difficult to compare the effects of HPs on a TL and a '92 Maxima because of the differences in the applications.

My goal is not to keep the ride close to stock. I would like the ride to be firmer but not abusive like I encountered with putting Eibachs and Konis (red) on my Accord years ago. I'm getting too old for that.

Last edited by lowgrowl; 08-20-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I used the HP blues from accord on my TL and they fit perfect, no modification is needed. I also lowered my car and the ride quality did not get worse all that much. ppl that I always drive around can't even tell but I can tell when I am cornering I know the cornering has improved by alot.
I got the accord ones based on the advise from the vendor on this forum. They were also ALOT cheaper, 260$ for accord compared to 430$ for TL.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by myron
I used the HP blues from accord on my TL and they fit perfect, no modification is needed. I also lowered my car and the ride quality did not get worse all that much. ppl that I always drive around can't even tell but I can tell when I am cornering I know the cornering has improved by alot.
I got the accord ones based on the advise from the vendor on this forum. They were also ALOT cheaper, 260$ for accord compared to 430$ for TL.
King Motorsports has the TL HPs (HU3800, HU3801) for $373 -- still enough of a difference to cover the installation labor though (and probably the difference in valving isn't enough to justify the extra cost). It's also easier to swing $260 past the Mrs.

And speaking of installation labor, I was guessing about 1-1.5 hours through a shop. Does that sound right?

It sounds like the Accord shocks are the way to go.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:49 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I know that Koni uses the same exact part number for the TSX, Accord, and TL...so I don't see how much of a difference the valving makes. IIRC it's the spring rates that make much of the difference.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Racer

www.shox.com has the shocks for the TL (not accord) for $369.32 shipped. If I decide to go for them I'm buying the ones made for the TL. Even though they say the accords will work, I like lowering the chances of headaches.

King Motorsports has the TL HPs (HU3800, HU3801) for $373 -- still enough of a difference to cover the installation labor though (and probably the difference in valving isn't enough to justify the extra cost). It's also easier to swing $260 past the Mrs.

And speaking of installation labor, I was guessing about 1-1.5 hours through a shop. Does that sound right?

Old 08-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts

I never heard anyone say that accord shocks failed or something because they were on a TL so that's why I went with a cheaper option.
as for the installation, I can't say how long it would take a shop to do it. i did it myself and it took me 3-4 hours. but I have never done anything like this before so I was going slow and very very carefully so I don't mess up.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by myron
I never heard anyone say that accord shocks failed or something because they were on a TL so that's why I went with a cheaper option.
as for the installation, I can't say how long it would take a shop to do it. i did it myself and it took me 3-4 hours. but I have never done anything like this before so I was going slow and very very carefully so I don't mess up.
I would most likely take the car to a shop for the installation because I don't have the time or the tools to do it myself.

Years ago I installed a set of Ranchos on my Jeep Grand Cherokee which required renting a spring compressor and the help of a friend. That took all day.

I installed the Comptech RSB on my TL myself and did it WITHOUT raising the car at all in my garage. It took me about an hour. That was an experience. I was glad I'm not claustrophobic.