TL-S suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL-S suspension question

can anyone explain the differences of the a-spec suspension and tl-s suspension. is the tl-s tighter or softer than the a-spec or about the same.

the reason i ask is that i feel that my new to me 07 tl-s is a bit soft, especially the front. granted i'm coming from a s2000, but i thought the tl-s would be stiffer than it is. its definitely softer than my wifes 09 tsx. and it doesn't feel any stiffer or more controlled than my old stock 07 tl base was. if the a-spec is stiffer i may have the suspension changed out. if they are about the same then i'll have the dealer check it for issues when i have it serviced in a couple of weeks. by the way the tl-s i just bought only has 36000 miles on it.

thanks.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
aspec is lower and stiffer

(softest)base 07+ < base 04-06 < type-s < aspec(most firm)
Old 07-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never been in a car with Aspec suspension, but I think the ride on my Type S is pretty stiff ...I'm looking to go to Tein H Techs which I heard are softer than the Type S springs
Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
my type s is stiff too
Old 07-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

thanks for the replies guys. sounds like i might have a problem with worn shocks on the front. it seems to float over the larger bumps. we'll see what the dealer says at service in a few weeks. if they replace them that'll be great. if not i might go with an a-apec suspension or put some bilstein sports on and stock springs. i have had a car with those before and really liked them.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bandit tl
thanks for the replies guys. sounds like i might have a problem with worn shocks on the front. it seems to float over the larger bumps. we'll see what the dealer says at service in a few weeks. if they replace them that'll be great. if not i might go with an a-apec suspension or put some bilstein sports on and stock springs. i have had a car with those before and really liked them.
Type-S rides pretty firm stock. Perhaps try increasing tire pressure a few pounds to like 38 front/36 rear. I know with my stock 235.45/17 Michellin MXM4 Grand Touring tires, the ride is pretty soft compared to Goodyear Eagle GT A/S 245/40/18. I am on A-Spec and the ride is definitely on the firm side especially after adding the TL-S front sway bar in which you already have.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:30 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
my pretty stiff too
Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Intermediate

thanks binh. i may try the higher tire pressures. the car had new kumhos on it when it bought it and after researching them on the tire rack website i found that some complained that the sidewalls felt soft.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Racer

thanks binh. i may try the higher tire pressures. the car had new kumhos on it when it bought it and after researching them on the tire rack website i found that some complained that the sidewalls felt soft.
What's your tire pressure set at now? Check you MID display using your steering wheel controls if you haven't already done so.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Intermediate

i set using a quality tire gauge at 37 front, 34 rear. it firmed things up a bit, but not where i think it should be. it still feels a little floaty. i'm having the dealer check it next week when i get it serviced. meanwhile, if they dont find anything i'm checking into and researching the a-spec kit and konis, maybe even the h&r coilovers.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Really all of this is subjective. Coming from an s2000 it may truly be too soft for you. Someone else coming from a luxury car it may feel firm.

My impression of the TL-S was it felt about the same as my '06 base and stiffer than the '07 base over bumps. You don't notice the slightly stiffer springs, shocks, and larger swaybars until you start pushing the limits. IMO that's a win-win. It outcorners the base model while feeling about the same over bumps.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Team Owner

Also, I'm not sure you would want to stiffen it just to make it feel firmer. I mean, if it doesn't have the amount of control and dynamics you want, go for it. But stiffer doesn't always = better performance. The balance has a lot to do with it.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Intermediate

i agree with you. i think coming from the s2000 has spoiled me in the handling dept. it was a fantastic cornering car yet at the same time it was plenty comfortable over bumps, much more compliant than i think people realize.

trust me, i know that stiffer doesn't necessarily make better. by stiffer i mean i don't want to make my tl-s bone jarring hard, and i'm not trying to out corner any m3's or 911's, or have the ultimate track car set up. this is after all my daily driver and thats not in this car's personality. i would just like more control, less body movement and a little more grip. i had an 07 tl base and thought that was soft as well. i would like this one to be one or two notches above where it is now.

by the way, thats a sweet GN! i love those cars.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Racer

i agree with you. i think coming from the s2000 has spoiled me in the handling dept. it was a fantastic cornering car yet at the same time it was plenty comfortable over bumps, much more compliant than i think people realize.

trust me, i know that stiffer doesn't necessarily make better. by stiffer i mean i don't want to make my tl-s bone jarring hard, and i'm not trying to out corner any m3's or 911's, or have the ultimate track car set up. this is after all my daily driver and thats not in this car's personality. i would just like more control, less body movement and a little more grip. i had an 07 tl base and thought that was soft as well. i would like this one to be one or two notches above where it is now.

Adding a $140 Progress rear sway bar with 30 minutes work would reduce body roll and shift the balance towards neutral as opposed to understeer. Ride comfort would not be sacrificed either. If you want more, you can continue on the journey of adding more suspension parts.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:11 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://store.excelerateperformance.c...0/i-35062.aspx How are these springs? only 172 that seems to be a reasonable price
Old 07-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Team Owner

Thanks about the GN. I love it but sometimes hate it too.

You might be surprised what the TL will do on the track. I outran two co-workers' Porsche Cayman and Sti and I had a hp disadvantage.

With my stock base suspension it was almost funny how much it rolled into corners with sticky tires but it still gripped very well. I'm used to cars with primative suspensions (tons of positive camber up front and a live axle out back) and when it leaned I kept expecting it to give up but it just kept on gripping. What's so nice on the TL is the geometry and suspension is great from the factory so you're just a set of springs, shocks, and swaybars away from a great handling car. I don't think a lot of people realize how good we have it. I have over $3,000 in suspension in my GN with the vast majority going to fixing the terrible geometry with all new control arms, mounting points, spindles, etc and the rest keeping the rear end planted on launch. None of that has to be touched in the TL.

If you like it "daily driver" firm you may be happy with a-spec but it may be a little too soft for you. It's kind of hard to guess on aftermarket since spring rates are not commonly available but with the help of one of the vendors on here, we're getting more and more numbers.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Intermediate

well, i think a well set up car (which you obviously have) and driver that knows what he is doing will make up a horsepower disadvantage over capable car and non trained or novice driver any day.

you have definitly talked me into that progress bar. i loved being able to rotate the S2000 with the throttle and would like a little bit of that back in the tl-s. i have read a lot about the h&r coilovers and that seems like it would be a good addition and get the car where i want it with the rear sway bar. and who knows, after that i may just track it once in a while.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Racer

well, i think a well set up car (which you obviously have) and driver that knows what he is doing will make up a horsepower disadvantage over capable car and non trained or novice driver any day.

you have definitly talked me into that progress bar. i loved being able to rotate the S2000 with the throttle and would like a little bit of that back in the tl-s. i have read a lot about the h&r coilovers and that seems like it would be a good addition and get the car where i want it with the rear sway bar. and who knows, after that i may just track it once in a while.
If you're leaning away from A-Spec suspension and want to get an adjustable coilover system, perhaps you should wait for Marcus's HT Spec suspension that will be coming out soon tuned specifically for 3G TL/TL-S. Marcus has been working with F2 and Eibach to build 2 suspensions - one height adjustable only sporty street and one full adjustable version for the track enthusiast. I think both Type 1 and Type 2 will have similar spring rates but Type 2 adds damper adjustments in addition to height adjustment.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=771156&page=3
Old 07-30-2010, 03:31 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are your guys' input on an aspec shock with type s springs? is it worth it?
Old 07-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eibach has coilover set for 1600.. it's for 3g TL but it does not specify the TL-S. are the suspensions all same for all 3G TL's?