tires cupping

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tires cupping

I bought 4 new tires (mastercraft) touring tire and after 8,000 miles the inside of the tires are wearing out. I took it back to the tire service center and they put the cupping on the outside of the tire. Then after only 500 more miles the noise was so intense that I could not here myself think and the insides were wore again. I once again went back to the service center and they told me that my alignment had to be off and they gave me a pro rate on the tires toward a new set of 4 tires. I choose the contiental dws tires. The service tech came back to me and explained that the front alignment is all within specs but the rear camber is off. The left rear is -2.0 and the right rear is -1.9 and they told me that this is what is causing the tires to wear on the inside. They also informed me that they cant make any adjustments to the rear factory parts and that I would need to purchase a after market adjustment rear arm to get the rear in alignment. Can anyone tell me that this is correct? Are these parts covered under the acura warrenty? Any info I would appreciate. If you need more info please let me know.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by redcamaro72
I bought 4 new tires (mastercraft) touring tire and after 8,000 miles the inside of the tires are wearing out. I took it back to the tire service center and they put the cupping on the outside of the tire. Then after only 500 more miles the noise was so intense that I could not here myself think and the insides were wore again. I once again went back to the service center and they told me that my alignment had to be off and they gave me a pro rate on the tires toward a new set of 4 tires. I choose the contiental dws tires. The service tech came back to me and explained that the front alignment is all within specs but the rear camber is off. The left rear is -2.0 and the right rear is -1.9 and they told me that this is what is causing the tires to wear on the inside. They also informed me that they cant make any adjustments to the rear factory parts and that I would need to purchase a after market adjustment rear arm to get the rear in alignment. Can anyone tell me that this is correct? Are these parts covered under the acura warrenty? Any info I would appreciate. If you need more info please let me know.
That's true, rear camber is not adjustable on the factory suspension.

The spec for rear camber is -0.5 to -1.5 degrees. What was the rear toe? Do you have a print out of the alignment sheet? If so, it would help if you could post it.

It's fairly typical for the rear camber on TLs to be right at the negative limit (-1.5 degrees) or more (as yours is). From what I've seen so far, this makes the rear tires wear on the inside if the toe is even slightly out of spec.

Are you the original owner? Has the car ever been in an accident or hit a pothole, etc? I assume your suspension is totally stock?

Assuming your suspension is totally stock and the car has never had any damage, my guess is that the rear toe is also out of spec and correcting the rear toe will solve your issue.

I've found that on my TL, it needs to be aligned at least once a year (if not twice) because the rear toe will not stay in spec for very long. I'd recommend you go to Firestone and purchase their lifetime alignment deal (look for a coupon on their website) and get in a habit of twice a year alignment checks.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:35 AM
Intermediate

The car is stock except for the air intake. The car has not had any damage. It has 41,000 miles on it now and I have never had a alignment done before now. I have another set of rims and tires (winter tread) and they are wearing perfectly.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Intermediate

Old 10-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Intermediate

image of alignment sheet

Old 10-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Race Director

OK, how come no info for left rear toe? And the right rear toe is out of spec. Why didn't they bring it into spec?

My bet is that if both rear toes are brought back into spec, you won't have any problems (again, this assumes there is no damaged/worn suspension components).

And did they give you a spec sheet for the front? Don't see any numbers for the front on your post...

Last edited by nfnsquared; 10-24-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
OK, how come no info for left rear toe? And the right rear toe is out of spec. Why didn't they bring it into spec?

My bet is that if both rear toes are brought back into spec, you won't have any problems (again, this assumes there is no damaged/worn suspension components).

And did they give you a spec sheet for the front? Don't see any numbers for the front on your post...
for some reason when I scanned the sheet the numbers only show up when they are in the red and not the green.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Race Director

can you do a color scan? or just post all the numbers?

Your suspension/frame should be fully inspected to be sure there are no worn/damaged parts that could be causing the out of spec camber. Assuming no damage/worn parts, then bring the toe back into spec and see what happens. There are at least a couple of people on this forum that have out of spec camber (-2 and -1.9) that don't have issues (assuming everything else is in spec). Assuming your suspension/frame checks good, I don't have an answer why the camber is out of spec. But from what I've seen, if you can get the all other alignment figures back into spec (and kept in spec with regular alignment checks), you'll probably be fine.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 10-24-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
From what I've seen so far, this makes the rear tires wear on the inside if the toe is even slightly out of spec.
I'm still trying to figure out what happens to the toe if you add weight to the trunk this changing the camber angle. I know it can change the toe but does it toe it in or out more?
Old 10-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Intermediate

I had to maunally add the numbers in.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I'm still trying to figure out what happens to the toe if you add weight to the trunk this changing the camber angle. I know it can change the toe but does it toe it in or out more?
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the bump stop TSB said that increased rear seat/trunk weight would result in increased toe-in....