Tire/Wheel Weights Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 11:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire/Wheel Weights Help

Hello everyone! Quick question... when like 2 years ago I hit a pothole and the lil wheel weight on my tire fell off, I never realized it in the driving of the car, but I got it replaced. I noticed that the same wheel weight is missing again. It's on the front passenger side of the car. Without looking at the tire and physically seeing it missing, I would have NEVER known the weight was missing. What is the weight supposed to do? Should I get it replaced immediately or can I wait two more months till I have my next service? Can missing a wheel weight damage anything? Thanks.

Noam
Old 03-18-2003, 12:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats to balance the wheels. It will lead to improper wearing of your tires and maybe some slightly worst handling, but I wouldn't think it will dmg anything unless the wearing caused the tires to pop or something. When they rotate the wheels, sometimes the wheel with the weight is moved to the rear and the wheel from the rear moved to the front (sometimes the wheel doesn't require any weights on it) so thats why you might notice it being gone (cuz the tire with the weight has been moved). Its very unlikely that the weight will fall/break off unless you got cheap weights (ask for gram weights). It can wait a couple of months if you want to, unless you're doing a lot of driving. If it did break off, you need to rebalance your tires.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:08 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having the weight on the front or rear of the car has nothing to do with this (unless your talking about the front or rear of the rim). The weight was put there after the tire was mounted. Having a tire/wheel combo that does not need any weights is extremely rare if not nill. Yes, if not immediately, there will be problems if the tire/wheel is not re-balanced. I wouldn't even take the car in to the shop. Just take off the offending wheel, take it to a tire shop and get it rebalanced. Should cost around $10-$15.