Tire under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire under warranty?

Hello to all. Posting for a friend.

My old tl (his tl), is a little over 15 months old, with I think about 16,000 miles.
He has the stock michelin tires on it(navi model tl)
His front passenger side tire, we noticed has a cut in it, that is serious and the tire needs to be replaced. It is sort of a cut or slice of the tread,(lateral) which is dangling and exposed the unprotected tire. I hope I am describing right.
If he brings this into acura, will this tire be covered under any sort of warranty. I know the manufacturer handles the warranty on the tires, but is this done thru accura?
Would this be considered a defect in the tire, or something else?
Just wondering what he could expect . He doesnt own a computer, thus he asked me to post for him.

Regards to all.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts
Acura will refer you to a Michelin dealer. The dealer will tell you that it is not covered under any kind of warranty. Sorry for this bad news, but the original equipment tire warranty does not cover road hazards or cuts, only defects in material or workmanship.

He could go to a Michelin dealer and maybe they could help him out or give him a deal on a replacement tire. He should not be driving on a tire with a cut in it so get this done as soon as possible, and drive very carefully and slowly until it is replaced. If it is as bad as you describe it, he should put the spare on, or remove the tire at home and take it to the tire dealer.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:30 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by flatfoot
Hello to all. Posting for a friend.

My old tl (his tl), is a little over 15 months old, with I think about 16,000 miles.
He has the stock michelin tires on it(navi model tl)
His front passenger side tire, we noticed has a cut in it, that is serious and the tire needs to be replaced. It is sort of a cut or slice of the tread,(lateral) which is dangling and exposed the unprotected tire. I hope I am describing right.
If he brings this into acura, will this tire be covered under any sort of warranty. I know the manufacturer handles the warranty on the tires, but is this done thru accura?
Would this be considered a defect in the tire, or something else?
Just wondering what he could expect . He doesnt own a computer, thus he asked me to post for him.

Regards to all.

No they won't, thats why the tire company gives its own warranty, and Michelin are usually jerks about everything so I doubt they will help you out, they have to really be convinced it was a defect or something. Start there tho and see what they say.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraboy7
No they won't, thats why the tire company gives its own warranty, and Michelin are usually jerks about everything so I doubt they will help you out, they have to really be convinced it was a defect or something. Start there tho and see what they say.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Advanced

tire warranty

I learned my lesson from my 03 Accord. I had a flat and the screw was on the sidewall and it wasn't repairable. It took a chunk out of my wallet for about $180.00 for one Michelin tire.

When I bought my 05 TL, I went to Discount Tire and bought a warranty for all four tires for about $190.00. I now have free road hazard, balance and rotation for the life of the tires.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:06 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Why do you call them jerks? If you wreak your TL the dealer will not fix it free. No road hazard warranty = you pay for new tire. Soft rubber high performance tires wear fast, etc, misalignments also not their fault. All tire companies are like that.

Originally Posted by Acuraboy7
Old 09-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MR1
Why do you call them jerks? If you wreak your TL the dealer will not fix it free. No road hazard warranty = you pay for new tire. Soft rubber high performance tires wear fast, etc, misalignments also not their fault. All tire companies are like that.

I agree. It is worth the little extra money to get the roadside warranty should anything happen to your tires. Otherwise, you will have to pay out of pocket, and those tires aren't cheap!