Tire Support

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire Support

Okay I need anyone and everyones good AND bad feedback on these tires. Please. I have nevergone from factory tires and I'm a little worried.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position

Does anyone have or had them? How are/were they? All advice please
Old 05-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
GO to TireRack and find that tire. They have MEGA reviews. The Potenza Pole Position RE 050A is the ###1 rated tire! I also talked to a tech, and he said its awesome #1. I imagine the RE 960AS is also a great tire. My next tires for summer wheels WILL BE Potenza RE 050A !
Old 05-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Seems to be universally well-liked.

Originally Posted by KatyTL
I have never gone from factory tires and I'm a little worried.
Does anyone have or had them? How are/were they?
Actually, a bunch of the members here love the Potenza RE960s, as mentioned in a thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/what-hell-going-158070/) on tires. I forgot to mention them in my reply there, although my other two vehicles have Potenzas. They would probably be my first choice, rather than the Toyos Proxes. The Potenza RE960s are mentioned favorably in several other tire threads here as well and have no negative mentions (vs. the PZeros and Toyos, which have some complaints about noise after 15K miles). The RE960s are all-seasons while the RE050s are summer tires.
You can usually get better tires for your car than the original factory equipment. Factory equipment is often a compromise choice, with cost and durability being large factors, while you can select aftermarket tires based on your particular needs (ultimate grip v. noise v. ride v. wear, etc.) without having to worry about which tires will be most cost effective in batches of 200,000. The factory Michelins for the Navi cars are OK, but aren't the grippiest or longest wearing although they are fairly quiet, for example. The Bridgestone Pole Positions, Pirelli PZeros, Goodyear F1s, Toyos Proxes and several other major "W" rated tires are in the same class as the stock Michelin MXMs (and way better than the non-Navi Turanza EL-42s), and may actually have superior ultimate traction but higher wear than the Michelins. G/L!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
The Bridgestone Pole Positions, Pirelli PZeros, Goodyear F1s, Toyos Proxes and several other major "W" rated tires are in the same class as the stock Michelin MXMs
Actually, that's false. The Bridgestone RE960AS and Pirelli PZero Nero M+S are both classified as "Ultra High Performance All Season". The stock Michelin Pilot MXM, are classified as "Grand Touring All Season"... Totally different class of tires.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
Actually, that's false. The Bridgestone RE960AS and Pirelli PZero Nero M+S are both classified as "Ultra High Performance All Season". The stock Michelin Pilot MXM, are classified as "Grand Touring All Season"... Totally different class of tires.
OK, they are different "classes" (i.e. types) of tire for different priorities (Pilot MXM = quieter ride v. higher priority to wet & dry traction for the UHP all-seasons), but all have the same speed/temp rating and are good tire alternatives for the stock TL.
The MXMs are more expensive than most of the UHP tires at Costco, too.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:54 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by KatyTL
Okay I need anyone and everyones good AND bad feedback on these tires. Please. I have nevergone from factory tires and I'm a little worried.

Does anyone have or had them? How are/were they? All advice please
I absolutely love these tires. Quiet, responsive, I swear they make my car ride better.

btw, regarding your pm, your mailbox is full so...

I did get the universal cargo thing. I do like it - carries all my cleaning supplies lol. it fits fine with the navi and even the trunk liner in there. The only problem is when i stack things on top of it, it kinda falls apart - cant support heavy weights on top. Works great for holding groceries though
Old 10-21-2007, 03:27 PM
12 TL Tech, 10 MDX Elite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My friend is using the Bridgestone RE960AS on his Mercedes, he just love it, quiet, good traction..., and i have a set of 19" wheels on order for my 07 TL , and i will get the BS 960 tires too for sure!!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:18 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

^ sums it up nicely
Old 10-22-2007, 11:54 AM
04 Abyss Nav, 07 KBP TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My thoughts on the 960s

I bought the Potenza 960AS PP from Tire Rack for my '07 TL-S when my car had 500 miles (because I changed to 19 inch wheels). I used to own an '05 TL, and my wife has an '04 TL. I've been through the OEM Turanza EL42 on the wife's '04. On my '05, when the OEM Michelins went, I bought OEM sized Potenza 960s. They were a great tire, with response and traction that were superior to the Michelins. There's a few things that I've noticed about tires in general:

1. Usually, new tires will seem a lot quieter that the ones you replaced. That's probably because the old ones had little tread left.
2. The Michelin MXMV are a great touring tire, but the 960 (at the OEM size) is superior for steering effort (lighter), noise and a little sharper handling.
3. While the 17" Potenzas I had bought for my '05 were quiet, that's not the case for the 960s I have on my TL-S, attributable in large part to the fact that they are 235/35/19 - almost no sidewall to absorb road noise. So, the characteristics of a tire change significantly with size and aspect ratio - even among the same make and model of tire, as I've experienced first hand. That's something to keep in mind as you read through reviews on TireRack. Note the tire size, and the type of car the reviewer is using the tire on.

Overall, if you're replacing your OEM tire with the Potenzas in OEM size, the 960AS PP is a great choice that you won't regret.