Tire sidewall question here

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire sidewall question here

Hey guys id like to know if a low profile high performance tire has a stronger sidewall than a low profile touring tire?

I wanna know which tire can protect my wheels better from potholes

thank you
Old 01-13-2007, 08:23 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

You probably laready realize this but the accurate answer is... It depends.... Specifically, it depends on the manufacture and even the model number. The General UHP's are solid performance tires but I have heard (from others on here) that their sidewall is softer than other tires. Does that mean that they are a soft as XYZ's "touring" tire? Hmmm, maybe but in order to determine that, I would need to know what brand of touring tire you are comparing this too. Even then, there are no studies that comapre sidewall firmness (that I am aware of) so your really back at square one. In "general", the sidewal on MOST performance tires will be stiffer than the sidewall on MOST touring tires. Your question is not "quantifiable" so the real answer is... who really knows...nobody.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:09 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
I dunno either...

Originally Posted by italian_spak
Hey guys id like to know if a low profile high performance tire has a stronger sidewall than a low profile touring tire?
The ultra-high performance tires have stiffer sidewalls so that there is less flex in turns, which maximizes the tire contact patches. However, "stiffer" sidewalls do not equate to "stronger" sidewalls. Although I've never experienced it, I have read of situations where the stiffer sidewalls of a ultra-hi-po tire resulted in bending of the wheel rim itself from pothole impact because more force was transmitted to the wheel through the tire.

If potholes are a primary concern, go with the touring tires so that impact forces are distributed through the tire rather than transmitted to the wheels and suspension. You'll probably also get a softer ride and less tire noise in a touring tire, with less dry traction at the limit, than the ultra-hi-po tires.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:24 AM
Racer

thank you
Just go with a set of any Falken tires. They offer rim protection and have a hell-of-a sidewall composition. As a previous owner of the ST-115's and many more, I can say the proof is in the pudding!
Old 01-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Pro

re

what do falken tires have that they guarantee rim protection? extra padding in the sidewall to prevent rims from denting on potholes contacts?
Old 01-14-2007, 09:24 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

what do falken tires have that they guarantee rim protection? extra padding in the sidewall to prevent rims from denting on potholes contacts?
You mis-understood. They don't GUARANTEE rim protection. What nhouse was saying is that the Falken sidewalls are pretty stiff. The "Rim protection" is nothing more than an extra strip of rubber where the rim meets the tire (similar to the stock tires)