Tire Pressure Monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tire Pressure Monitoring

Thinking of getting some new 20" shoes in the spring on my '06. Curious... the tire pressure monitoring system, if I replace the rims the monitor will no longer work correct? If not, does the GPS display say "Error" or something?

-Jeff
Old 11-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeff, I had these on my C5 Corvette and if you do your homework, you may find that you can remount the sensors on your new wheels. On the Corvette it was simply a matter of restrapping it to the new wheel. I'll bet that the Tire Rack or some wheel company will know this answer for sure. I also have a new 06 TL and would be curious about this subject. I wish that I could tell you that the stem holds the sensor assembly in place etc. but I'm unsure. QR
Old 11-29-2005, 01:02 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ashtray00
Thinking of getting some new 20" shoes in the spring on my '06. Curious... the tire pressure monitoring system, if I replace the rims the monitor will no longer work correct? If not, does the GPS display say "Error" or something?

-Jeff
Hard to say what will happen. Maybe best to ask the dealer?

As far as installing then with strap as is suggested by QuickRick, the sensors are not designed to be mounted with straps. They are combined with the valve assembly and looks like the hole on the aftermarket wheels will need to be enlarged to mount them.

Also, the other unknow is can the built in TPMS be programmed for different tire pressures as in you case with 20 inch wheels?

Sorry, I have more questions then answers at this time.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Advanced

need answer quick! Thanks!

To the people that changed their wheels on 06 TL's, did the TMS not function anymore or is there a work around it?

Thank you!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:53 AM
9th Gear

Exclamation

I recently went through this, big-time. I traded in my '04 for a new '06 and wanted to keep my custom wheels and new Michelin tires, so I ask the dealer.... if we swap them, will the TPMS still work. Dealer responded "no problem".

After taking delivery of the '06, on the way home, I got a warning light on the dash indicating a TPMS failure. Called the dealer. Turns out, the technician said they "would not work on my wheels". Need less to say, I was furious with the dealer because I was mis-lead.

To make a long story short, I found a tire store in the area (Discount Tires) who had an "adapter bracket" they use for mounting the sensors on after market wheels. I picked up the sensors from the dealer, took them over to the tire store, and lo and behold, the sensors mounted OK without even using the adapter brackets.

Obviously, the dealer technician didn't even try to make them work. (He is no longer working there).

So, bottom line, in my particular case, the sensors mounted and work OK in my custom wheels. However your case may be different. All I can say is try them and see.

Good luck,

JB-Austin
Old 12-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up

I am keeping the stock rims for winter. Traded my summer slicks for winters with the dealer before I picked them up. I am tossing new shoes in the spring. I really don't want to keep switching back and forth because that's insane!

Anyone know how a second set of monitors will be?

Also... how do they actually mount to the rim? How are they powered? Anyone have a pic of what a tire pressure monitor gage looks like attached to a rim??

-Jeff
Old 12-02-2005, 09:36 AM
9th Gear

The tire preassure monitor sensors are part of the "special" valve stems which mount inside each wheel. They have special O-ring rubber seals to prevent air leakage.

I am sure you could buy an extra set from your dealer. I understand they are about $50 bucks each. Ouch!

Good luck,

JB