Tire pressure...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
Look into the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. They are cheaper than the OEM tire... Tirerack, has the OEM Pilot HX MXM4 at $258/tire in the stock size, but the Extreme Contact DWS at $119/tire for the stock size.

The DWS are also orders of magnitude better than the OE tire in every category. I just got the DWS installed on my 19" rims, and couldn't be none the happier. They seem to be even better than the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions I ran before.... (And the DWS is an Ultra High Performance All/Season tire)

Well, the only problem with them is, they are always out of stock on tirerack and my local tire shops and I'm not really looking or want an UHP tire. I want a smooth ride and ultra quiet noise level tire and am looking more at Grand Touring. I have Serenity's on there now and want to replace them with another Grand Touring. Problem is, the only one left for a good price kumhos, though the load rating is higher than OEM specs, but if you read my other post, something is wrong with my front-end with alignment issues and I have to get that fixed by Acura before I put any new set of tires on the car or they will suffert the same fate as my current Serenity's!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by smarty666
Well, the only problem with them is, they are always out of stock on tirerack and my local tire shops and I'm not really looking or want an UHP tire. I want a smooth ride and ultra quiet noise level tire and am looking more at Grand Touring. I have Serenity's on there now and want to replace them with another Grand Touring. Problem is, the only one left for a good price kumhos, though the load rating is higher than OEM specs, but if you read my other post, something is wrong with my front-end with alignment issues and I have to get that fixed by Acura before I put any new set of tires on the car or they will suffert the same fate as my current Serenity's!
How do you like the Serenitys? I've always wanted to give them a try but it's hard to give up the performance of the NT05s I'm running.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
The DWS are actually very quiet tires. If you look at the reviews on Tire-rack, people are saying the same thing... They are definately quieter than the stock tires that came with the TL, and those stock tires were Grand Touring tires as well... Plus the stock tires were damn scary to drive in the rain with....

As far as being out of stock, I just got mine installed like 2 weeks ago, so they should be in stock by now, as I remember America's Tire Company telling me they were getting new stock at the end of this month.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
... I don't even know why you would bring bias ply tires up except to quote an out of context paragraph to win an argument.
Huh? I brought that up because the reference to "different construction" in that paragraph clearly refers to radial vs bias ply, not a/s vs summer. The manual is saying use radial vice bias ply. It's not saying that you have to use a/s over summer tires. Remember, our TLs come with an option for summer tires when you buy new?

You believe that a different size than OEM is dangerous.
Please tell me where I've said this.

You believe that a higher load rating is dangerous.
Where did I say that? Did you miss this quote of mine in post#24:
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
I'm find it very hard to believe that going with a higher load rating or speed rating could be a safety concern.
You believe that a different type ie summer vs all season is dangerous.
Huh? Where did I say this? Did you also miss this quote of mine in post #28:
Didn't see anywhere in the OE criteria that said replacement tire has to be A/S. ...
You believe that a different speed rating is dangerous.
Where did I say that? Did you miss this quote of mine in post#24:
I'm find it very hard to believe that going with a higher load rating or speed rating could be a safety concern.

You believe that inflating higher than the palcard on the door jamb is dangerous.
Huh? Where did I say this? Did you also miss this quote of mine in post #35:
Well, I don't see how a 1 or 2 pound increase could be dangerous....(as long as it doesn't exceed the max cold psi, and it doesn't). I definitely wouldn't go under the OEM recommended....
Get a life and while you're at it, try to brush up on your reading comprehension skills....
Old 05-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Race Director

The DWS are actually very quiet tires. If you look at the reviews on Tire-rack, people are saying the same thing... They are definately quieter than the stock tires that came with the TL, and those stock tires were Grand Touring tires as well... Plus the stock tires were damn scary to drive in the rain with....

As far as being out of stock, I just got mine installed like 2 weeks ago, so they should be in stock by now, as I remember America's Tire Company telling me they were getting new stock at the end of this month.
Yeah, I'm waiting on them to be in stock. They are not due to be in stock until 6/18...As I've said before, don't see how a higher load rating can be a problem (94 vs 93). Don't know why it's taking so long for Continental to restock them. I wonder if Continental is spending time trying to address the soft sidewall critiques they've been getting? If they do stiffen up the sidewall, that will make the performance drivers happier, but the ride probably will suffer a bit. I hope they're not changing anything....
Old 05-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Team Owner

Huh? I brought that up because the reference to "different construction" in that paragraph clearly refers to radial vs bias ply, not a/s vs summer. The manual is saying use radial vice bias ply. It's not saying that you have to use a/s over summer tires. Remember, our TLs come with an option for summer tires when you buy new?

Please tell me where I've said this.
You only gave a portion of the paragraph at first so that it would be taken out of context and support your argument.

You said all of this in the other thread, some in this thread, don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. You have a lot to learn now quit shitting in this thread and start another if you want to argue.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
As I've said before, don't see how a higher load rating can be a problem (94 vs 93).
It's not... Just don't buy a tire with a lower rating in any category than stock, and you should be fine from a safety perspective.

Don't know why it's taking so long for Continental to restock them. I wonder if Continental is spending time trying to address the soft sidewall critiques they've been getting?
Call a different shop... When I got mine, the first America's Tire company told me they were on back order, and was getting a new shipment at the end of this month... I called a different America's Tire Company, and they said they had stock in California, and could have them in 3 days... So I called back the other place and told them, and they got the tires from the same place, and got my tires installed that weekend.

I also doubt Continental is going to modify the tire design.. .They are taking so long because the tires were supposedly on national back order. But when I was calling around, stock seemed to be trickling in, as the warehouse in California and Georgia both got shipments of stock a few weeks ago, when I was looking for the tires...

By the way, do you run dedicated winters? Just curious, becuase my G coupe came with Pilot Sport Summer Tires... Those tires grip like ice cubes when it gets below 50 degrees, especially if the pavement is damp... That's why I swapped those out for Pilot Sport All/Season, becuase I kept fishtailing at damn near every traffic signal when making a turn with that car when it was below 50 and damp.... A forum member allegedly talked to tire rack, and they said that summer tires should only be used when ambient daytime temps are > 60 degrees and ambient night temps are > 50 degrees.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Race Director

You only gave a portion of the paragraph at first so that it would be taken out of context and support your argument.
Huh? The important part of that paragraph was "use the same size and construction". When turbonut alluded that construction meant you had to stick with a/s vice summer, I pointed out that construction means radial vs bias play, not a/s vs summer and that summer tires are still acceptable per OEM specs.

said all of this in the other thread, some in this thread, don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. You have a lot to learn now quit shitting in this thread and start another if you want to argue.
You're so full of sh!t...If I said any of what you quoted, then prove it. Come on, go pull up the quotes where I've said any of those things you're accusing me of. Come on, show everyone how good you are. Show them where I've said any of that.

Come on, I'm waiting...

But you won't because you can't...Sure you'll come on here and spew accusations and then slink away...

Come on big fella, back up your words with proof of my comments...

Wait, I'll make it easier for you. Here's the link to the other thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/psi-issue-776614/

Go there and pull up where I've said anything you accused me of saying.

Oh, what's that? No proof?...Oops, guess you're wrong again!!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Team Owner

Huh? The important part of that paragraph was "use the same size and construction". When turbonut alluded that construction meant you had to stick with a/s vice summer, I pointed out that construction means radial vs bias play, not a/s vs summer and that summer tires are still acceptable per OEM specs.

You're so full of sh!t...If I said any of what you quoted, then prove it. Come on, go pull up the quotes where I've said any of those things you're accusing me of. Come on, show everyone how good you are. Show them where I've said any of that.

Come on, I'm waiting...

But you won't because you can't...Sure you'll come on here and spew accusations and then slink away...

Come on big fella, back up your words with proof of my comments...

Wait, I'll make it easier for you. Here's the link to the other thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776614

Go there and pull up where I've said anything you accused me of saying.

Oh, what's that? No proof?...Oops, guess you're wrong again!!
Calm down little guy. It's there for everyone to read, no need to play this game. It's too bad your slow learning curve has to be displayed on the internet for everyone to see. I'm glad you're finally understanding the the higher load rating may not be dangerous but you have a long way to go with the size thing.... maybe we found the cause of the problem lol.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Race Director

...Call a different shop...
I'm not in a big hurry. My local Sears currently has some quality techs (ex-military) that I trust and they'll match tirerack's (or anyone's price) after shipping. Of course, they can only get their supply from their main warehouse, which in turn, relies on Continental warehouse.

By the way, do you run dedicated winters? Just curious, becuase my G coupe came with Pilot Sport Summer Tires... Those tires grip like ice cubes when it gets below 50 degrees, especially if the pavement is damp... That's why I swapped those out for Pilot Sport All/Season, becuase I kept fishtailing at damn near every traffic signal when making a turn with that car when it was below 50 and damp.... A forum member allegedly talked to tire rack, and they said that summer tires should only be used when ambient daytime temps are > 60 degrees and ambient night temps are > 50 degrees.
Only this winter did I use dedicated snow tires. Made a huge difference in snow. The rest of the time, it's been a/s tires year round. Yes, it's true that summer tires perform better on hotter surfaces. Personally, I wouldn't have any issues using summer tires year round as long as the ambient temperatures stayed above freezing (and no snow/ice). That doesn't happen here in ND! The summer tire compounds get very hard at or below freezing and lose traction. Tirerack was probably implying that you could only expect the full performance from summer tires at the higher temperatures...
Old 05-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I wish someone could just answer my freakin simple question of if it is okay to keep the tires at 34 or 35 PSI all the way around and not do staggered inflation's? I want to have a smooth ride as much as possible!
I found your other question more interesting, and nobody had answered it. You asked this:

I am assuming that 35F, 32R your quoting is for the Type-S? Because I have the Base TL and the sticker on the door jamb says 33F, 32R cold. I typically keep the tires at 34F, 33R cold.
I answered that question:

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
You probably have a 5AT. I have a 2004 6MT (there was no Type-S in 2004) and the sticker calls for 35 front/32 rear when the tyres are cold.
Apparently having someone answer a question you asked must have offended you, based on your reply (quoted above at the start of this comment). I thought your "freakin [sic] simple question" was so simple that it wasn't interesting enough to address and so I replied to the one I found more interesting. If you don't want a question answered, don't ask it!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Race Director

Calm down little guy. It's there for everyone to read....
Well then, it should be so easy for you to prove yourself. Go on, show everyone where I said anything you've accused me of.

Hehe, just like I said, you can't back up your accusations....Come on, it's not too late, you can still do it..

Oh, damn, that's right, you can't....But I already told you that in my previous post and you just confirmed it for everyone. Thank you!

Last edited by nfnsquared; 05-25-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Team Owner

Well then, it should be so easy for you to prove yourself. Go on, show everyone where I said anything you've accused me of.

Hehe, just like I said, you can't back up your accusations....Come on, it's not too late, you can still do it..

Oh, damn, that's right, you can't....But I already told you that in my previous post and you just confirmed it for everyone. Thank you!
I don't care to get another thread locked. If it were worth arguing about, or if you could carry a technical discussion I would put more effort into it. Everything is in the link so if someone actually cares to hear about it they can read and see that I'm right. If they don't care, they aren't forced to read more of your BS in this thread. The best thing you could do for yourself is to quit posting and learn something... And I'm not talking about articles that you pick and choose on the internet. Get out there and actually try something in real life instead of repeating bad information. I run 2 sizes wider, higher load rating, higher pressure, much, much stickier ultra performance tire on the TL and bias ply wrinkle walls on the GN and never have I had a tire issue yet you insist because you read stuff written by lawyers that you're right. Amusing.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Race Director

I don't care to get another thread locked. If it were worth arguing about, or if you could carry a technical discussion I would put more effort into it. Everything is in the link so if someone actually cares to hear about it they can read and see that I'm right. If they don't care, they aren't forced to read more of your BS in this thread. The best thing you could do for yourself is to quit posting and learn something... And I'm not talking about articles that you pick and choose on the internet. Get out there and actually try something in real life instead of repeating bad information. I run 2 sizes wider, higher load rating, higher pressure, much, much stickier ultra performance tire on the TL and bias ply wrinkle walls on the GN and never have I had a tire issue yet you insist because you read stuff written by lawyers that you're right. Amusing.
Still running your mouth I see. You're good at that. Once again, you still haven't backed up your accusations. Nice job trying to misdirect and cover up the fact that you cant back up your accusations.

What's the matter BIG MAN, can't find anything to back your accusations?

Oh come on, please, pretty please? Just show everyone where I said those things. It'd be so simple, if only you could. But you havn't and you won't, because you can't.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Once aging that is your interprutation, so I'll ask about putting 2 A/S tires and 2 Summer tires on the car. As you consider them both the same, it should present no problems with handling characteristics? Right?

Before you answer you had better look into the situation, and you'll find it's a no go.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
I found your other question more interesting, and nobody had answered it. You asked this:

I answered that question:

Apparently having someone answer a question you asked must have offended you, based on your reply (quoted above at the start of this comment). I thought your "freakin [sic] simple question" was so simple that it wasn't interesting enough to address and so I replied to the one I found more interesting. If you don't want a question answered, don't ask it!
No you didn't answer the question. Instead of answering whether its okay to keep the tire pressure the same all around, you quoted me the recommended pressures or a car I don't have, it had a different transmission, a different year, which had different mag wheels, etc all of which makes a difference since the recommended you quoted me is different from the recommended on my 08's door sill!

So no, you didn't answer the question. Stop being as smart ass with your remarks as well. I have every right to ask the question you! Get off your high horse! If you had answered the question, instead of quoting me useless information on your 2004 TL, which doesn't help me at all since my recommended pressure is different, you have to get all pissy about it! I didn't ask what is recommended tire pressure, I asked if it is okay to put the same air pressure in all four tires and not stagger it like it shows! That was the question, which you didn't answer!

Last edited by smarty666; 05-25-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Once aging that is your interprutation, so I'll ask about putting 2 A/S tires and 2 Summer tires on the car. As you consider them both the same, it should present no problems with handling characteristics? Right?

Before you answer you had better look into the situation, and you'll find it's a no go.
OK, here's where I think our confusion lies: The difference between the definitions of "construction" and "type".

The manual (not me, just reproducing what is said in the manual) clearly defines "Summer" and "A/S" as different "TYPES" of tire (pg 220):

"Tire Types

All Models Except 6-Speed with
Summer Tires

Your vehicle is equipped with high
(marked All Season or M + S on the
sidewalls). These tires provide
excellent handling and braking
performance in most driving
situations.

6-Speed with Summer Tires
Your vehicle is equipped with high
These tires have a high-traction
compound and tread pattern to
provide superior acceleration,
cornering, and stopping under
most driving conditions.

I think you're saying that summer and a/s are of different construction (I assume you are saying your definition of "construction" includes tire compounds)...and I'm not saying you're wrong....just a different definition than what I think the manual uses for "construction".

I was trying to say that in the paragraph where the manual references construction, it is referring that the construction be radial, not bias ply. The type of radial could either be A/S or Summer (or winter or snow).

Last edited by nfnsquared; 05-25-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Race Director

No you didn't answer the question. Instead of answering whether its okay to keep the tire pressure the same all around....
Smarty,

There was another thread about tire pressure where someone said that the reason for the different PSI between front and rear had to do with the handling characteristics of front wheel drive (and it may have been only referring to 6MT, can't remember). I don't remember if that statement was validated with a reference or not. If that's true, then you may notice a difference in handling if you use the same pressure all around. I doubt that it would be dangerous but can't say for sure.

You have an unfortunate situation with your steering/front end. Personally, I don't think adjusting tire pressure will help your situation. I hope you can get Acura to step up and fix your steering/front end. Have you filed a case with ACS yet?

Last edited by nfnsquared; 05-25-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Team Owner

Still running your mouth I see. You're good at that. Once again, you still haven't backed up your accusations. Nice job trying to misdirect and cover up the fact that you cant back up your accusations.

What's the matter BIG MAN, can't find anything to back your accusations?

Oh come on, please, pretty please? Just show everyone where I said those things. It'd be so simple, if only you could. But you havn't and you won't, because you can't.
It's all right there in the link, you said everything I mentioned. All anyone has to do is read it. I could care less to go back and quote you and have an actual conversation. You know nothing about cars besides what you read on the internet and repeat. If this weren't an internet forum I would've laughed you off or pounded you a long time ago. Unfortunately for me, internet forums are a place where nobodies like you with diarrhea of the mouth can spout off nonsense for months on end.

It's you who can't back up a single thing you're said. You ignore every post I make about tire size, type, load rating, etc. and post worthless quotes taken out of context. You know better than to have a technical argument with me because you will get your ass handed to you. I can back up everything I say because I've run every type of tire in real life under street and racing conditions. I feel like a retard arguing with someone of your intelligence and experience level. Until you get out from behind the computer and try things for real in real life, you have absolutely no credibility.

You want to start a thread and call me out, go for it, I would love to hand you your ass. You've gotten enough threads closed due to your ignorance, so until then
Old 05-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Team Owner

No you didn't answer the question. Instead of answering whether its okay to keep the tire pressure the same all around, you quoted me the recommended pressures or a car I don't have, it had a different transmission, a different year, which had different mag wheels, etc all of which makes a difference since the recommended you quoted me is different from the recommended on my 08's door sill!

So no, you didn't answer the question. Stop being as smart ass with your remarks as well. I have every right to ask the question you! Get off your high horse! If you had answered the question, instead of quoting me useless information on your 2004 TL, which doesn't help me at all since my recommended pressure is different, you have to get all pissy about it! I didn't ask what is recommended tire pressure, I asked if it is okay to put the same air pressure in all four tires and not stagger it like it shows! That was the question, which you didn't answer!
I'll try and contribute something instead of talking to the retards.

Yes, it's perfectly fine to run the same psi all the way around. The fronts tend to create more heat due to more weight and pressure will rise a little more from cold to hot. By the time they reach full temp, they should be very close to even all the way around if you go with the manufacturers specs on the OEM tires.

You've got a good +- 5psi safety cushion, probably more, before you run into any issues with wear, comfort, or heat. Don't put too much thought into it unless you're going to the track.

I set mine up to be about even once fully hot. This means running a little less in the fronts when cold. My car will get around the track the quickest this way.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
is how I feel that you two have now shit up another thread.

Either:

(1) Learn to ignore each other and not respond to each other or

(2) Have a civil conversation without the condescending tone, name calling and confrontational style post.

This is now a warning. Next time a mod has to deal with either of your BS, your gone.