Tire issues / long story

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 07:11 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire issues / long story

I have 2004 TL 6MT and drive approx 100 miles each day as my commute to work. I love the TL and had no problems until the other day. There is not an acura dealer where I work so I have the local Honda dealer service the car. The do a very good job and I have no issues with the dealer. I took it in the other day for the second service at 11,500 miles and had the oil change and tires rotated. I picked up the car after hours on on the commute home noticed the car pulled to the left.

The next AM I immediately called the dealer and advised him of the pull. That day I was driving to Chicago for a meeting (from Milwaukee) I was going to bring in the following day. On the way back from Chicago on I294 at approx 70mph I hit a huge pothole (could not avoid due to traffic and was the width of the whole lane). It hit hard but I did not feel any damage.

Next day I took the car back to Honda and they advised that one of the wheels had a flatspot on the rim and that the tire had a sidewall bulge. They also said that all 4 tires would need replacing soon. I agrued how this could be with only 11500 miles.

With this info I called the Acura dealer whom I purchased the car from. In speaking with the dealer he advised me that there were several issues with the OEM tires and that Acura would replace them one time. Seeing this as good news I asked if I could drop off the car. I brought it in and spoke to a tech who entered the workorder. I also showed him the tire bulge and he advised that it was OK since they were replacing all the tires anyway. I was very happy with this and was impressed with the treatment.

Today I was called by the Service Manager who was very harsh, asking who I spoke with when I dropped the car off and who approved the replacment. I advised my previous discussions. He then advised me that there was no Acura recall and I had sufficient tire tread left on the tires, 5/32 (from orginal of 10/32) He also advised that I would have to pay for the replacment damaged tire and wheel (I did not dispute the wheel). He said he also knew of no tire issues with the TL. I agrued the fact that his saleperson brought up the subject with me, i had no idea.

So now unless I can get other resolution I am out 225 for the new tire plus the cost of the wheel, then I guess I will have to replace the remaining tires in a couple months based on my mileage.

Has anyone recieved new tires from Acura? Any suggestions. I am new to the site so I was unaware of the issues. I live in WI and drove all winter. I have no snow issues or handling issues.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:46 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Yes, I've gotten new tires from them before.

Bring this worksheet to their attention. There's no way they can deny this. From thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75525

Old 04-01-2005, 09:07 AM
Instructor

I got mine replaced 2 times. I came in complaining about the flat spotting. I was the first one at my dealership to complain, so they swapped them out for a non-reformulated set under the idea that these were just bad tires. I have to applaud that I didn't have to argue or complain. They even swapped out a wheel that was bent -- the service rep told me that it was highly unlikely that I bent the rim unless I drove through a MAJOR pothole. I sort of assumed that they had these from someone who purchased an A-Spec, so it didn't cost them much to dod this. Either way, good service at this point.

Flat spotting didn't go away and I just started despising the Turanzas. Got a screw in my tire that couldn't be fixed (too close to the sidewall) at the same ime they were checking on my flatspotting. I said there was no way I was going to pay $200+ for a tire I couldn't stand, then pay again for 4 new ones when these wore out. They realized that they hadn't put the reformulated tires on last time and agreed to put on the new Turanzas. Not a chance that was going to happen. I wasn't as lucky as some others that got credit for their tires, but I was given 4 new reformulated ones that I traded at a local tire store as credit towards my Toyo Proxy 4s.

I know $$ can be an issue, but if you are at a point of replacing, do ANYTHING but the Turanzas.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:09 PM
10th Gear

Smile Tire Damage

I had a similar issue with miscommunication @ my Acura dealer in Madison. I was misinformed. I was told that their was nothing more they could do. I asked for a number i could call, and they gave me Acura's customer service number. I spoke with a customer service agent and had it all worked out in a couple of days. I just stressed to them how much money I spend at my dealership on oil changes,tires, and maintenance. I also mentioned that this would be remembered when it was tiime for a new car, and if they wanted to keep a customer, they would make it right. They made it right, and my next purchase this spring will be another TL.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Hope the OE poster got this tire problem straightened out in the last 2 1/2 years.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Hope the OE poster got this tire problem straightened out in the last 2 1/2 years.
HA LOL