Tire Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Help

I bought my car 05 TL with 56k on it and had Michelin Pilot MXM4 tires put on it a day later. I am at 85k now. Took my tires in for rotate balance and alignment along for my oil change (I do all of this every 5,000 miles) and I get a phone call back from Firestone saying I need new tires.

Apparently I am at 2-3/32's. They said recommended tire replacement comes at 4/32's. Now I have not gone to see the tires yet but I didn't think they were that low. I looked at my tread a few weeks back and it didn't seem bad. I believe my Michelin's are 40k tires but I may be wrong. But to lose 10k miles has me confused. I don't get up on the accelerator or drive it hard all that often....but I do at occasions not going to lie.

Has anyone had trouble with these tires? I haven't noticed any vibrations. I haven't had any heel toe cupping because I have kept them aligned, rotated, and balanced so regularly. I am going to pick up my car tomorrow morning. I will be swinging by BMW of Nashville where my friend works and he is going to take a look at them tomorrow morning. I will throw a penny in the tread when I pick it up to see for myself.

Firestone recommended Bridgestone Potenza 960 Poll Position Tires. Any opinions on these? If I need to replace them I am not wanting to drop a lot of coin and get the crappy life I have apparently gotten out of these Michelins. Any recomendations for tires? They will be on stock wheels. Yes I have searched and I haven't found some of the answers I am looking for.

Flask
Old 07-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Michelin OE tires leave a lot to be desired so they are out, and I've said this before, I wouldn't use Bridgestone's. If you're in a climate that is realatively warm throughout the year, take a look at the Yokohama S.4 in 245/45-17. They will flatspot when cold, no safety concern, just annoying for the first mile or two. Also look at the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in 245/45-17. If you want an inexpensive wide tire Yokohama W4s in this size also, but they are being discontinued.
I have the S4, great all around tire, except for the flatspotting when cold.
Just to give an overview on the tread width in 245, the W4s is 9.2", S4 8.7" and the Bridgestone 960's come in at a lackluster 8.2". The Michelin does not list the tread width, but it is comparable to the S.4.
Quite a few have used the Continental DWS, but have supplied many mixed reviews, some good, some very poor, time will tell.
No matter the choice, get 245/45-17 though.

Alignments at 5000 miles are a waste of time and money. If a lifetime deal, still a waste of time.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with all-season Toyo Versado LX, I only have 5000 miles on them but so far I love them. Plus you can rotate them, they are not directional. The Michelins I wanted were out of stock.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by myblack04tl
I went with all-season Toyo Versado LX, I only have 5000 miles on them but so far I love them. Plus you can rotate them, they are not directional. The Michelins I wanted were out of stock.
Nice avatar!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Where did you get the Michelins from? You might be do some proration credit that would help you out with a new set of tires....
Old 07-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out the Bridgestone Potenza RE 760 Sport tire. I believe that it has a 340 treadlife which is not bad for an Ultra High performance summer tire. I purchased them through Tire Rack & they are reasonably priced as well.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:27 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement tires - the saga...

I bought my 2005 TL 6SP SSM new in June 2005. It had the gosh-awful Bridgestone Turanza EL 42's - absolutely horrible. When they finally wore out (not soon enough!) I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, it was like a new vehicle! Performance, wet, snow these were wonderful. There were two huge drawbacks to the Pilot A/S's: noise and price. When they finally wore out I went down a tier in tires from Ultra High Performance All Season to Grand Touring All Season and ended up with the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum. About 2/3 the price of the Pilot A/S's without the noise. Yes, the Kumho's were slightly less grippy in the wet, but that was about the only downside versus the Pilot A/S's. The price savings was worth it. However, now that I'm at 116K miles and the Kumho's are just about gone (look at your treadwear indicators molded into the tread), I'm not a bottomless pit of cash and I can't pull the trigger on the Michelin's. Lucky for me Continental has stepped up big-time: Continental ExtremeContact DWS. If all the reviews are even 80% valid, these will be fantastic. There was a significant back-log of these from Continental, but my local tire dealer finally got their hands on a set of them for me and I'll be putting them on this Saturday. It appears that they'll have the performance (or better than) the Michelins at the price-point of the Kumho's. I don't race, I don't do the +1, I just enjoy the stock performance of the six-speed and need to drive year-round with one set of tires. For my money, keeping stock 235/45-17, and driving year-round the Conti's are the way to go. Good luck.