Tire Balance

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Tire Balance

Several months ago I damaged one of my HPT RE-030 tires. I replaced all 4 with Michelin PS-2's. They are absolutely great tires but after having them rebalanced two times by the dealer, I still had a very slight vibration that started at 78MPH then increased with the speed of my car. The tire dealer told me the balance was perfect and the problem must be with my car.

Today, I took the car to a service department that had a Hunter Road Force balance machine. They said that all 4 tires were in perfect balance but something else was a little "off". They told me it was the roadforce thing that was causing the vibration. They broke down 3 of the 4 tires, rotated the tire on the rim then rebalanced those 3 tires. Now, all I can say is WOW....all the vibration is GONE! The car is perfectly smooth up to 100+MPH that I was able to hit today on the highway safely.

I'm not sure exactly what this "roadforce" is all about, but I'd suggest that anyone having even slight vibration issues with their TL's check into having their tires balanced with this awesome machine. There are only 3 RoadForce machines in my area, and although the tire dealer I purchased the tires from had a Hunter Machine, it wasn't the RoadForce model. There are probably many people who are blaming vibration issues on Acura when the problem is tire balance.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Hunter Road Force balances the tires while simulating them on the car, under weight, not just free spinning the wheel. They are not everywhere, but worth seeking out if you have finicky wheels / tires not responding to typical wheel balancing.

My former Isuzu had one of those "engineered-in" harmonic vibrations that drove you nuts in the 60-75 mph range (just where most of us drive at highways speeds). I must have had it rebalanced 6 times in as many months. The Hunter wheel balance was able to remove virtually all of the vibration after the tires were remounted on the rims per the Hunter's findings.

Whenever I have a smooth, vibration free ride, I worry that my next tire rotation or tire change will introduce another incurable vibration. If so, I won't keep taking it back to the same vendor, UNLESS they have a Hunter!

Glad the ride is smooth again. Now you can smile without your fillings falling out!
Old 08-15-2005, 09:34 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't have my wheels balanced by anything but a Hunter Roadforce balancing machine. But balance is only the second part of the equation...the first part is to have the tires "indexed" to the wheel as JetJock experienced. After those items have been done, any vibration will be caused by something other than the tire/wheel assembly.