Time for new tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for new tires

I'm sure there have been other discussions on this matter, I looked and did not find a match.

It's getting time for new sneakers on my '08. First time....I don't put a lot of miles on. I asked my dealer what Acura recommends. His answer was very interesting. Michellin Primacy MXM4 94w; but he can't get them (not hat I can't find them cheaper in the open market). But I'm he type that will take his info, start with those and then try to compare other options.

So, I welcome recommendations. I also would invite comments on the "w" part.

The w is the speed rating. The w tire is a bit more expensive and warranted for less miles. The h type is rated for 130 mph. I certainly do not approach hat. It is less expensive and warranted for more miles. However, I have heard some say that it is more than just the speed rating; it is the construction of the tire, suggestion of course being the w is better constructed.

Anyone using h?

By the way, I live in Florida, so weather, except for rain, is nt an issue.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
I have Primacy MXM4 94H on my '05. There "are" differences in the tires, but doubtful they will be that noticeable to most casual drivers. I went for the H over the W for warranty and availability reasons.

For the most part as long as the size and load ratings are correct, you should be good to go.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by ebick
...So, I welcome recommendations. I also would invite comments on the "w" part.

The w is the speed rating. The w tire is a bit more expensive and warranted for less miles.
As Jackass says, just make sure the size and load ratings are correct.

I'm in Los Angeles and recommend the Bridgestone Potenza RE970 Pole Positions for all-season tires. They are not cheap, but are a little less expensive than the Primacys, with better grip and probably comparable wear.
Many members like the Continental DWS, which reputedly has a softer sidewall while I prefer a stiffer tire sidewall.

Others swear by "summer tires," like Michelin Pilot Sports, which you can use with no problems in FL.

Look at Tirerack.com to compare various tires (the Primacy is a Grand Touring tire; the Potenza is an Ultra-High Performance all-season); it often tests several tires within the same class to give an idea of strengths and weaknesses of each tire.