Tien Basis Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Tien Basis Questions

Hey ive been looking around for coilover kits and im stuck between Function type 1 and the new Tein coilover design for the Tein Basic now called Tein Basis...Ive been in my friends TL and he has Tien SS but his damper kit is all the way stiff.. Honestly its good enough for me and since Tein basis dont have a damper kit im guessing it might just feel the same as my friends TL.. I just want an affordable coilover system that would let me slam my car but yet still be quite comfortable.. Anyone with Function type 1 or Tein Basis slammed can describe how their car rides...Thank you
Old 08-28-2011, 05:16 PM
[Mod Censored Title]

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'slammed'...

I just recently installed the Tein Street Basis and I'm lowered around 2". My tires are just slightly tucked under the fenders. Personally, I don't consider it slammed by any means, but I'll say that I think it rides very well. I've been in TL's with coils installed that have the dampening adjustability feature, and I can honestly say the ride quality is very similar to mine (with their given setup & settings).

I should also mention that I used new Type-S rubber bushings when I installed my coils. Can't say for certain just how much that is affecting my ride quality, but figured it was worth mentioning.

Also, just FYI...you can go ~.4" lower with the Street Basis as compared to the Basics and the Super Street

Last edited by john_wrap; 08-28-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes im most likely going 2in or slightly less all around yea not really slammed but its really close to being considered slammed.. Thanks alot John info really helped alot i spent hours looking for this information but no one couldnt just quite hit the spot..Im getting Teins Basis Thursday.. Anywhere i can find them for a good price other than heeltoe and ebay??
Old 08-29-2011, 10:59 AM
[Mod Censored Title]

Originally Posted by 06TLpearlywht
Yes im most likely going 2in or slightly less all around yea not really slammed but its really close to being considered slammed.. Thanks alot John info really helped alot i spent hours looking for this information but no one couldnt just quite hit the spot..Im getting Teins Basis Thursday.. Anywhere i can find them for a good price other than heeltoe and ebay??
Glad I could help. Yeah, if you're just going to be around a 2" drop height then you'll be very happy with the ride in these. Again, keep in mind that I did get new Type-S bushings in my installation.

If these coils are back in stock HeelToe can do them for something like $650 shipped and is definitely the way to go. Be sure to use the promo code 'acurazinerocks' for an additional discount.

I got mine from Excelerate because at the time they were on national back order and he actually had them in stock at his location. I believe HeelToe does not stock the product and just orders it directly from Tein on a 'per order' basis.

Good luck with the install and post pics when done!

P.S. If you have any further questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I researched the shit out of these and did the install (with some help), so I'll likely be able to aid you with any further inquiries you might have.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:36 PM
[Mod Censored Title]

06TLpearlywht: you have your PM option turned off in your settings...tried to send you a message but the FAIL train arrived
Old 05-13-2012, 11:46 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by john_wrap
Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'slammed'...

I just recently installed the Tein Street Basis and I'm lowered around 2". My tires are just slightly tucked under the fenders. Personally, I don't consider it slammed by any means, but I'll say that I think it rides very well. I've been in TL's with coils installed that have the dampening adjustability feature, and I can honestly say the ride quality is very similar to mine (with their given setup & settings).

I should also mention that I used new Type-S rubber bushings when I installed my coils. Can't say for certain just how much that is affecting my ride quality, but figured it was worth mentioning.

Also, just FYI...you can go ~.4" lower with the Street Basis as compared to the Basics and the Super Street
I just installed the Tein Street Basis today and am very pleased, but I followed the directions to the "T". Which means that I measured and set the 1" that the instruction said to do for the threading. Just wondering what you set yours at to get the 2" drop and just barely tucking tire.