Those who have shipped 19" wheels/tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Those who have shipped 19" wheels/tires

Hey guys,

Im looking to sell my wheel and tire package and have never sold or bought rims from other members before. For those who have shipped or been shipped rims in the past. do you know roughly how much im looking at for shipping cost and whats/where the best place to do so....UPS, Fedex or even USPS?

im guess i would have to get straps and a strap gun aswell right?

here are the rims:
19" 8.5 235/35/19
19" 9.5 265/30/19

shipping within the country.....Milwaukee, Wi to Kansas

thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
If you ship with fedex and ship all 4 boxes at the same time it will be a little cheaper. Go to a rim shop and ask for old boxes they may have lying around.
Price for shipping will be around 120.00 for the total shipment that way. Unless you can get a business to ship them and also ship to a business address. That will be a little cheaper.

If you package 2 together and strap them like you are saying then the weight per item goes up but you only have 2 items. Your price is still going to be close.

I would avoid USPS all together as the price will be outrageous.

You can compare with UPS and Fedex but I have always found Fedex to be the cheaper and better carrier.

If shipping with tires, I usually pull the valve out and deflate tires completely then just tape thick cardboard over the rim face and rear and leave tire exposed.

I have had very successful results and I have shipped probably 5 sets of rims both ways and a few random rims here and there over the years.

Your best bet though is to get boxes that rims were originally shipped in and pad the corners and faces.

Good luck!

edit: noticed you said rim/tires. You could go the route of protecting the rim and leaving tire exposed. Use good tape. Not duct tape, clear tape works well. Make sure to put shipping label on cardboard and tape over it. I would also leave a shipping to address inside the rim on a piece of paper in case the cardboard comes off. That way they still have the to address.

They will NOT fit in a box that rims without tires came in. So you will have to go the make your own box route. You could mass crate them but then you wil exceed weight limits and have to crate them somehow. That will put you into a freight company most likely and cost upwards to the 300.00 price range. Individually wrapped and shipped together in same order of 4 boxes would be the way to go. Get a fedex account or borrow one.
Going through a shipping store will cost you about 15.00 more per box as they don't combine orders usually.

Shipping to a business address is still your best route as well to save a few coins.

Last edited by sauceja; 11-18-2012 at 01:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sauceja:
imports4me (11-18-2012), The Machine (11-19-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceja
If you ship with fedex and ship all 4 boxes at the same time it will be a little cheaper. Go to a rim shop and ask for old boxes they may have lying around.
Price for shipping will be around 120.00 for the total shipment that way. Unless you can get a business to ship them and also ship to a business address. That will be a little cheaper.

If you package 2 together and strap them like you are saying then the weight per item goes up but you only have 2 items. Your price is still going to be close.

I would avoid USPS all together as the price will be outrageous.

You can compare with UPS and Fedex but I have always found Fedex to be the cheaper and better carrier.

If shipping with tires, I usually pull the valve out and deflate tires completely then just tape thick cardboard over the rim face and rear and leave tire exposed.

I have had very successful results and I have shipped probably 5 sets of rims both ways and a few random rims here and there over the years.

Your best bet though is to get boxes that rims were originally shipped in and pad the corners and faces.

Good luck!

edit: noticed you said rim/tires. You could go the route of protecting the rim and leaving tire exposed. Use good tape. Not duct tape, clear tape works well. Make sure to put shipping label on cardboard and tape over it. I would also leave a shipping to address inside the rim on a piece of paper in case the cardboard comes off. That way they still have the to address.

They will NOT fit in a box that rims without tires came in. So you will have to go the make your own box route. You could mass crate them but then you wil exceed weight limits and have to crate them somehow. That will put you into a freight company most likely and cost upwards to the 300.00 price range. Individually wrapped and shipped together in same order of 4 boxes would be the way to go. Get a fedex account or borrow one.
Going through a shipping store will cost you about 15.00 more per box as they don't combine orders usually.

Shipping to a business address is still your best route as well to save a few coins.

Thank you....very helpful...thanks for taking the time typing...
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 AM
Drifting

Received 664 Likes on 539 Posts
Yea, Sauceja seems to be right on. I put padding down over the face of the rim (cardboard, bubble wrap, foam, and even some old floor mats that were lying around), cardboard on the back, and taped the hell out of them.

Here is what my Type S rims looked like before they shipped out. Didn't have any issues doing it this way, its probably safer than shipping rims alone to be honest.

The following 2 users liked this post by KJ TL-S:
sauceja (11-23-2012), The Machine (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
Wow, very good info Jeff and KJ!!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:03 AM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Oh wow, please update the price to ship them like that!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
Chip got a fedex account tonight and I think the qoute was around 23.00 each.

But yeah, KJ's pics are pretty much what mine look like when I ship that way. Just tape the faces first so you don't have any tape on the front. You want it on the back just in case it messes with the finish.

You should be able to ship a set for 100.00 to 150.00 depending on if shipping to residential or business and how far away.

San Diego CA to New York NY is going to be a little spendy.

Good luck!!
The following users liked this post:
The Machine (11-24-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
Jeff is correct, I signed up for a FedEx account and did a quick quote with a shipping weight of 50lbs. Price was $23 per rim/tire, but my shipping destination is from NJ to SC, so it's not super far so shipping is probably a little lower than from CA to NY.