Tein S. Tech Install Review TL-SSssss

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Tein S. Tech Install Review TL-SSssss

This weekend I found time to put the car on jack stands and with the (sports suspension) guide from the 3g tl garage, install these on the car, with STOCK SHOCKS.

Installation: Firstly this is a "basic" install that will save you hundreds of dollars, as there is literally 2 bolts and 3 little nuts that hold your strut assembly on the car. However doing it the first time, as with any work on a car... it never failssssss, there is always problems you run into with lining thigns back up, and figuring out why things wont go back in. With that being said the first time you do this, you may or most likely will encounter such issues, but there are simple to work through, and after the install is all said and done, I can look back and do it in about half the time.

Install time: Said to be about 4 hours, it took me more like 12 hours because of issues I ran into, ( not knowign the top hat had to be alligned with specific marks on the strut to line up properly on the fork) however once I figured it out is so simple, paying someone for this install would be insanity.

Longest part of the install: is turning the spring compressor by hand with a wrench, my advice do what I ended up doing, buy a full socket set, and use a ratchet, cuts the install time for each corner IN HALF.

Biggest pain in the arse: part of the install is removing the entire.. and I mean the ENTIRE rear interior for access to the rear strut assembly. Dont be scared, its not hard, just timeeeeee consuming.

All in all, after the jam ups, issues, but once solved, knowing what I know now this is a basic install and ANYONE on here can do it.

Impressions of springs: they give IMO a perfect drop about an 1.5 all the way around, enough for 1 finger over the tire in the front and 1.5 finger in the rear gap. Perfection.
Rides exactly like stock, with maybe a 10% more, virtually undetectable amount of sporty feeling. Takes bumps the same, and not bouncy like a high school kid who cut his springs, they ride so nice I believe if you painted them black the dealer would not even be able to tell, other then seeign the ride height.
Taking corners now the roll/pitch of the car is dramatically reduced by about 80% from stock, all while maintaining the very rich, nice comfort ride a TL is known for. I can take my daily commute ramps about 15 -20 mph faster with 0 roll/pitch effortlessly. Note: I also have Dunlop star specs on the car so that may have helped some as well.

I found the springs new on amazon for 180+shipping and I am now literally kicking myself for doing this 3 years later after owning the car. All the time I have missed out on on such a great upgrade in performance, looks, while mainting ride quality.... better late then never.

Pics to follow..... I know this is worthless without them

Last edited by OntheJob; 01-18-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Pics for an Idea of the drop and your enjoyment.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
Looks nice! And even hha congrats on ur new springs
Old 01-18-2011, 01:28 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
lookin' good.

they will settle a bit more after you drive on them.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:22 PM

Received 9,506 Likes on 6,175 Posts
Congrats! I installed my S-Techs myself and it was about a 13 hour process because of little shit I ran into.

Car looks dope
Old 01-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Congrats! I installed my S-Techs myself and it was about a 13 hour process because of little shit I ran into.

Car looks dope
Thanks, and yes it was the same little stuff that took me just as long, I am glad the car is not pitched or slammed one way or the other, squating and clean, ride is amazing. Def turns more heads now.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
lookin' good.

they will settle a bit more after you drive on them.
yes I have noticed the rears have settle about .5 inches in the last 48 hours of install... which is to be expected with any spring,

The TL as even with the stock suspension, with just SPRINGS seems to sit just a tad lower in the rear, but over all its way better then stock, I felt like I was driving a monter truck stock ha!
Old 01-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I have the same springs and i love them. only thing is it looks like the back settled more then the front... oh well. Took me about 4-5 hrs but i had an impact to use on the compressor!
Old 01-18-2011, 03:38 PM
2011 CR-Z EX 6spd Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great! I just installed TL Type-S struts and upper strut bushings along with Eibach Pro-Kit springs. I now feel lucky that it only took me 7 hrs! I was used to installing springs/struts at only ~45mins-60mins per corner on past cars I've owned
Old 01-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Good job-sorry it took so long.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Take that beauty out of the garage tomorrow and take some nice pics in the sun with a lower POV. Like your last picture but with the the whole side from front and back. It's hard to gage how dope it really looks from those angles Im stongly considering this mod after your testimony
Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
yeah mine took about 16 hours spread over 4 days because i wasnt following the proper procedure and didnt have the right tools.

i ended up buying a $200 electric impact gun from Home Depot and then returning it for a full refund after i was done with my install. the lady didnt even look at how dinged up or dirty it was haha.

if i were to do the install again, i could have all 4 corners done in 2 or 3 hours.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Very happy with my S-Techs as well. Fortunately, when all settled over time (18 months now), the front sits just a tad lower than the rear, creating a stance that I was looking for when I shopped for springs. Ride is very close to stock. Make note that I replaced my stock shocks with Tokico Blues.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Advanced

It looks soo perdy. Congrats!!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by Deep n TX
Take that beauty out of the garage tomorrow and take some nice pics in the sun with a lower POV. Like your last picture but with the the whole side from front and back. It's hard to gage how dope it really looks from those angles Im stongly considering this mod after your testimony
Ill try to update with fresh pics after a wash tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^^^Indeed
The following users liked this post:
QwkTL (03-08-2012)
Old 01-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Intermediate

Did you install a rear camber kit?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by Csmit176
Did you install a rear camber kit?
No camber kits were installed, I dont think the drop and from what I have read/researched on these springs will require one.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OntheJob
No camber kits were installed, I dont think the drop and from what I have read/researched on these springs will require one.
Your drop looks similar to mine. Did you get alignment done after? Usually whenever you raise or lower a car you'd want to get that done. My camber is a bit off on my drop but not terrible enough for me to run out and buy camber kits. I plan to eventually just to be safe if I want to drop it further (mines dropped on tein SS, I'm aware springs aren't adjustable ).

Just some food for thought: I'm sure your camber is close to mine but you might want to get an alignment so you can tell for sure.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Thread killer//

awesome drop! exactly what i want with mine.

i've been looking at the tein s techs ever since i've had my car. i have over 67,xxx miles now, i wonder if i should just get replacement shocks as well whenever i get the springs? but if i do that i might as well get the full damper set up?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by Bleak
Your drop looks similar to mine. Did you get alignment done after? Usually whenever you raise or lower a car you'd want to get that done. My camber is a bit off on my drop but not terrible enough for me to run out and buy camber kits. I plan to eventually just to be safe if I want to drop it further (mines dropped on tein SS, I'm aware springs aren't adjustable ).

Just some food for thought: I'm sure your camber is close to mine but you might want to get an alignment so you can tell for sure.
I am going to get it aligned I am just giving it a week of true drive/settle time before I do.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by saersxlr8

i've been looking at the tein s techs ever since i've had my car. i have over 67,xxx miles now, i wonder if i should just get replacement shocks as well whenever i get the springs? but if i do that i might as well get the full damper set up?
The full set up is going to cost you big time, I have 48k on my car and felt I had no need for shocks as I am sure you dont either.

shocks arent cheap for decent quality either, but why replace the stock shock if its not bad yet? Just my .02... Ill get replacements once they go, for now theres no need to spend me money, again cause its a TL and not a race karRRR
Old 01-21-2011, 01:52 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am going to get it aligned I am just giving it a week of true drive/settle time before I do.
Cool man. I bet you won't really need camber kits, just as long as the toe isn't too bad.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by Bleak
Cool man. I bet you won't really need camber kits, just as long as the toe isn't too bad.
agreed
Old 01-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts

Does your car feel "floaty" during higher speed lange changes? I'm at 68k and I've been noticing it recently. At close to 70k, it's a smart move to change shocks when doing springs. Won't cost you any more time or labor. It'll really suck if you just do the springs now and end up needing to replace the shocks in six months to a year. Tokico's blue shock is a good budget choice, and at around $400 won't break the bank. Excelerate's running a special now on the adjustable (damping, not height) Tokico reds with your choice of springs for $675 shipped.

I'm doing my shocks and springs in another month or two, but with all the 12-16 hr horror stories I'll gladly cough up the 300 I got quoted for the install.

Car looks good op.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:33 PM
10th Gear

How does the car feel in terms of handling? Looks great!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:40 PM
10th Gear

NM I skipped that last part.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Does your car feel "floaty" during higher speed lange changes? I'm at 68k and I've been noticing it recently. At close to 70k, it's a smart move to change shocks when doing springs. Won't cost you any more time or labor. It'll really suck if you just do the springs now and end up needing to replace the shocks in six months to a year. Tokico's blue shock is a good budget choice, and at around $400 won't break the bank. Excelerate's running a special now on the adjustable (damping, not height) Tokico reds with your choice of springs for $675 shipped.

I'm doing my shocks and springs in another month or two, but with all the 12-16 hr horror stories I'll gladly cough up the 300 I got quoted for the install.

Car looks good op.
No it does not feel floaty, it feels planted to the ground and stable.

Shocks are expensive and your "not break the bank" statement is subjective, I had the money for them, I just dont see the sense in replacing stock shocks that still have good milage on them. Now that I know how to install its not that hard. The first time for sure is a tuffy, but after you figure it out its a breeze.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Thread killer//

Car looks good op.

thats the exact reason why i was asking for opinions. i hate to have to get the springs installed get it aligned then 6 months later have to get shocks and pay for install again. i know if the car is brand new or with less miles i wouldn't change my stock shocks. But this thing is gettin up there. Not sure if i've ever owned a car with this many miles i get scared and trade it in (along with losing time/money/love that i put into the car). but this one i wanna keep for awhile. i'll look into that deal, seems like a pretty decent price.
thanks for the info.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Suzuka Master

thats the exact reason why i was asking for opinions. i hate to have to get the springs installed get it aligned then 6 months later have to get shocks and pay for install again. i know if the car is brand new or with less miles i wouldn't change my stock shocks. But this thing is gettin up there. Not sure if i've ever owned a car with this many miles i get scared and trade it in (along with losing time/money/love that i put into the car). but this one i wanna keep for awhile. i'll look into that deal, seems like a pretty decent price.
thanks for the info.
I wouldn't worry about 67k on a Honda product! It's barely broken in. My oldest sister bought a new Accord in 1987 and kept it until 2001. 220k miles and the original clutch went until 190k.

But yeah, if your car was at 48k like On the job's, you'd be fine, but at almost 20k more, your shocks are getting to the point where lowering springs will only wear them even more quickly. My car just started feeling a little "less connected" to the road this past fall, and I'm guessing it's the shocks. The way I see it, an extra 400 now is a wise investment, especially if you're paying to have it done. Get some quotes. Shouldn't be more than 300-450 for labor, depending on where you're located. Another 75 or so for alignment, but hold off a few weeks on that and give the springs time to settle.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:10 AM
Thread killer//

I wouldn't worry about 67k on a Honda product! It's barely broken in. My oldest sister bought a new Accord in 1987 and kept it until 2001. 220k miles and the original clutch went until 190k.

But yeah, if your car was at 48k like On the job's, you'd be fine, but at almost 20k more, your shocks are getting to the point where lowering springs will only wear them even more quickly. My car just started feeling a little "less connected" to the road this past fall, and I'm guessing it's the shocks. The way I see it, an extra 400 now is a wise investment, especially if you're paying to have it done. Get some quotes. Shouldn't be more than 300-450 for labor, depending on where you're located. Another 75 or so for alignment, but hold off a few weeks on that and give the springs time to settle.
i actually talked to my guy last week and asked him how much he'd install springs for me he said 120 total. i figure if i showed up with shocks he would be easier for him, he wouldn't have to take my old springs off/put new ones on, spring compresser, etc... plus around 80 for alignment thats 200 bucks for labor. makes me want to do this now lol... i will eventually. and when i do it will be stech with tokico blues. it'll be good for my daily driver.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the same springs but I thought they were way to soft. I loved the drop! If i could get the same drop with a better spring rate I would (without going coilovers). I just didnt like the sag in the rear when one person let alone 2 or 3 people sat in the back. It rode like a caddy In my opinion though. Very smooth. I guess im just not use to the weight of a sedan and how its not as agile as the cars I use to have. None the less I love it!!! I recommend these springs to anyone that wants a great ride quality with an awesome drop. If you dont have a lot of weight in the trunk or your not sporting crazy offset wheels, this drop is for you. Why I say crazy offset wheels and weigh is because you will have a rake from front to back when you have even a 120lb girl in the back seat. I know its weird, but tein is known to have softer springrates. Your car looks great man!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by hatchconversion
i had the same springs but I thought they were way to soft. I loved the drop! If i could get the same drop with a better spring rate I would (without going coilovers). I just didnt like the sag in the rear when one person let alone 2 or 3 people sat in the back. It rode like a caddy In my opinion though. Very smooth. I guess im just not use to the weight of a sedan and how its not as agile as the cars I use to have. None the less I love it!!! I recommend these springs to anyone that wants a great ride quality with an awesome drop. If you dont have a lot of weight in the trunk or your not sporting crazy offset wheels, this drop is for you. Why I say crazy offset wheels and weigh is because you will have a rake from front to back when you have even a 120lb girl in the back seat. I know its weird, but tein is known to have softer springrates. Your car looks great man!
well 1. the sag in the rear seems to be on most of the TL's out there, however I have noticed depending on the pavement the car is lower in the front and pitched forward, the springs have settle a little more from the install and I can tell you when parking and walking away from the car I cant stop starring at it, most of the time, the front is lower then the rear, not to mention its so close anyhow it just looks like a clean drop.....I will wash and submit new pics today to show you, the ones in my garage the car looks to sag to the rear however it is an uneven garage, cars in nuetral tend to slowly roll out of the garage, I parked at wal-mart the other day and the car was lower in the front then the rear and looked stunning... either way good springs for the soft quality yet little more sporty ride which some of us are looking for.

Last edited by OntheJob; 01-22-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

i actually talked to my guy last week and asked him how much he'd install springs for me he said 120 total. i figure if i showed up with shocks he would be easier for him, he wouldn't have to take my old springs off/put new ones on, spring compresser, etc... plus around 80 for alignment thats 200 bucks for labor. makes me want to do this now lol... i will eventually. and when i do it will be stech with tokico blues. it'll be good for my daily driver.
for all the pain in the arse and cursing and very sore arms for days later I had, id say for a total of 200 I would have him do it, especially if he has air tools and a lift.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea I hear you. I was meaning when you have a person in the back it sags. With no one in it your right its even or if yours is a true type s then im willing to bet the sway bar helps a lot with this when making turns and such. either way it looks great!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

$120 is dirt cheap. Jump on it.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Old 01-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Thread killer//

yeah he used to own an import shop where i got all my mods done with my older vehicles but closed down on the first of this year. he's got all the tools needed but i dont think he has a lift at his house lol. it's okay if he's willing to do the install for 120 with or without a lift is fine with me, not like i'm doin it lol.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Biggest pain in the arse: part of the install is removing the entire.. and I mean the ENTIRE rear interior for access to the rear strut assembly. Dont be scared, its not hard, just timeeeeee consuming.
When you say the "entire" rear interior, you're just talking about the rear seats, right? With the right tools, you can access the top of the rear shocks without having to remove anything other than the seats.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by ebelp
When you say the "entire" rear interior, you're just talking about the rear seats, right? With the right tools, you can access the top of the rear shocks without having to remove anything other than the seats.
seats, both top half and bottom, side moldings, the entire rear deck where your speakers are and all the plastic covers on the Cpillar ... believe me its not fun.

Quick Reply: Tein S. Tech Install Review TL-SSssss