Tein Basis Z's on TL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tein Basis Z's on TL?

I think that the compression side of my OEM shocks are shot (usually goes before rebound goes completely). Still feels firm when I push on a fender, but feels very sloppy and even makes noise when hitting bumps. Roads around here aren't the best anyways.

Anyways, I'm just looking for something that's a little more performance oriented than stock, with a decent ride (I really feel like the stock TL suspension is overly soft anyways), and something I can lower in summer, and raise in the winter for snow driving. We get a decent amount up here in Wisconsin.

I'm looking at the Tein Basic Z coil over kit, as it seems like a good value, and I prefer a "matched" shock spring combo, versus trying to match them on my own.

My concerns are:
I've heard it is very "OEM like", so wondering if it will be too soft
I'm also concerned about the quality and if they will hold up okay in freezing (cold weather) temps

Interested to hear some impressions from those on the Basic Z's. It is a luxury car, so not looking to do track days or time attacks on this thing. Just would prefer a more sporting ride than stock, but compliant on our terrible roads, and affordable. These look like they could do the trick at a $500 price point. Seems like it would be hard to beat without spending $$$ more.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Definitely opt for the upgrade to the Street Advance Z model.

As far as your planned use:
Tein has, without doubt, the best corrosion protection of any coilover brand. I've had mine for 4+ years in the Chicago area, and the bodies show virtually no rust. The springs are slightly surface rusted where the coils come together...which is normal.

They work well enough in cold weather. But like any shock...they stiffen up with cold weather and soften with hot weather. This is one of the reasons I recommended the Advance over the Basis. Just adjust the shock with the clicker. I set mine seasonally. I use like -2F and -5R for summer damper settings....and soften them to -4F and -7R for winter. There's no auto temperature adjusting valve like some shocks have...but these Teins also don't cost like $2000+.

Ride quality is fantastic. Better ride dynamic than stock, and also arguably more comfort than stock. My recommendations are to run them at a relatively TALL height, and use one of the stiffer shock settings.

Spring rates are like...soft/stiff. Reduced body roll and pitch as compared to stock. They feel agressive enough with more stiff damper settings that the car feels more easily maneuverable and responsive.

Longevity is also fantastic. They make a good DD shock. Mine have 70K on them and they're still working well.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BROlando
Definitely opt for the upgrade to the Street Advance Z model.

As far as your planned use:
Tein has, without doubt, the best corrosion protection of any coilover brand. I've had mine for 4+ years in the Chicago area, and the bodies show virtually no rust. The springs are slightly surface rusted where the coils come together...which is normal.
These don't seem to be much more money than the Basis Z's, and I like the idea of having adjustability on the dampening, albeit, you typically only adjust rebound on these things. I'd be surprised if you affected compression at all. But, who knows... Tein seems to have a reputation for good quality with very reasonable cost.

My only thought with the Basis Z's is that in some of the video reviews from those that sell them seem to suggest that is the newest design and has improved comfort level for street. I'd really be interested to see what the spring rates were on each and if there is any difference. The video I watched also seemed to suggest the Basis Z's (maybe all?) had a twin tube design for improved performance. (??) See review link below.

I really think the stock (at least the base TL) suspension blows on this car!!! It is far and away the biggest dissapointment to the car.

Type S and A-Spec were probably better. My car just feels very unsettled over rough pavement, and I feel like the bumps just echo through the whole car, versus the shock dampening the blow and controlling the spring better.
I've been driving German cars for the last ten years, so this is way softer than anything I've had previous.

I'm looking for a more solid, controlled ride, while giving me ability to lower moderately in summer months.
I'm not really into the "slammed" look, but could easily go 3/4" to 1" drop and do away with some of this fender gap!
In the winter I'll probably keep it about stock height as that seemed to work well last winter. I didn't really have any snow clearance issues.

Should look good with my TL S-Type knock offs!

Last edited by NSX_Lvr; 10-03-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Advances and Basis are both twin tube dampers. Twin tubes have certain advantages for street use over monotubes. Performance isn't really one of them. But put that aside.

The adjuster adjusts rebound and compression. I kinda wish they didn't gain as much compression as they do. BUT...again....they don't cost $2000+.

I'd opt for the Advances. I'm almost sure both have the same spring rates.

get your info from the source:
Tein.com

Last edited by BROlando; 10-03-2017 at 09:42 PM.