Tein Basics vs SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tein Basics vs SS

Hello to all,

My stock shocks paired with the eibach prokit have now died. Over the past month there has been a sudden transition of harshness while drivng through minute bumps. I know it pretty bad because sometimes the abs is activated when going through some of these bumps, i'm guessing because one wheel bounces high enough to be spinning faster than the rest!

Anyway ive been searching the difference between the Basic's vs SS and all i find are reviews of each product which are more or less similar. From what i understand they both are adjustable, the SS however specifies there are about 16 differenet settings. What are the differences exactly and is it justifyable in spending the extra 200-300$ more to get the SS's?

Also i understand the EDFC electronically allows you to control the ride stiffness from inside by the touch of a button. So i'm guessing as you increase the stiffness the ride will drop. So essentially does the height actually change or have i got it wrong?

If any of the vendors have any specials for shipping to canada let me know! Has anyone ever installed the EDFC on there own? If so could you pease leave some input on how difficult the wiring was! Thanks guys!
Old 10-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Basics are basic- You can set the height of where the spring is- thats how you adjust ride height- and it locks in place- not changed while driving
The basics have a set dampening/rebound pressure- no adjustments

The SS height adjust by the spring perch just the same as basics- you move a metal plate up or down a threaded shaft and then 2 locknuts secure it there- that what the spring sits on
They have a slot for the tool to adjust the dampening/rebound- its on the top of the shock shaft- the one you can see on the fronts under the hood
That allows you to set and forget if you want- medium front soft rears for general driving, and when you want to go play a few clicks tightens the handling- reduces understeer at speed and much more

The EDFC has tiny electric motors hooked on top of each shock ( Its a pain to get to the rears to adjust in a TL)
The controller lets you preset 3 combinations A-B-C and will instantly spin the adjusters to that setting while you are in motion- between turns even!
They make the shock stiffer or softer, nothing changes the ride height except the spring perches
You can also manually push the + or- buton to change the settings click by click
Normal SS has 16 adjustment- the edfc doubles that due to finer gears

If you can wire a killer stereo into your car- you can install the edfc
Its mostly trim panels have to be removed to get all the wires run from the back shocks and a little splicing of wires- its a solid half days work or more

Canada kills you on import taxes by whatever name- got any friends in the states?
Check our vendors for overall good deals

not on my sig yet- tein SS on the way!
Old 10-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing information!!!!!!! I'm definately going to get the SS's with the EDFC.Thanks again 01tl4tl!

For both you manually have to adjust the ride height?
Old 10-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Yes- when you assemble them you set the perch for the height you want.
Min. drop from stock ride height on SS is 1.5 inches, max about 2.5
thats 2 finger gap fender to tire or 1 finger to no finger gap!

Or once on the car and you want to change, you use a spring compressor to relieve tension, use the provided special wrenches to unlock the bottem perch nuts and raise or lower the perch/mount. tighten lock nuts, release spring and done

The only adjustment is inside the shock with the dampening/rebound stiffness adjusted together