TEIN Basic Coilover - Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,027 Likes on 1,518 Posts
TEIN Basic Coilover - Problem

I bought these coilovers off of Craigslist and they appeared to be in good condition with little use.

They came with all of the hardware necessary for installation and I even printed out the .pdf manual off of TEIN's site to insure proper assembly.

When I got done installing them, I took it for a test drive and immediately knew something was wrong .. WAY too bouncey. It's to the point where my car is undriveable and it seems as though it's ONLY riding on the springs in the front. I can only describe it as the shocks having TONS of rebound with little compression.

I am on the lowest perch to see how low I can go .. but isn't there any kind of ride quality with this? Or is this what riding on dumped coilovers is all about?

Any insight would be great .. anybody have an idea of what could be wrong? Blown shocks?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Please tell us which "bounce" you have -

Bounce 1 = The car is tightly following the elevation changes of the road surface and you are bouncing in your seat. With Bounce 1, the suspension moves very little.

Bounce 2 = The car is has excessive suspension movement and the car seems to continue bouncing after the road has smoothed out. With Bounce 2, the car seems to bounce out of sync with evelvation chages in the road surface.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerT
I bought these coilovers off of Craigslist and they appeared to be in good condition with little use.

They came with all of the hardware necessary for installation and I even printed out the .pdf manual off of TEIN's site to insure proper assembly.

When I got done installing them, I took it for a test drive and immediately knew something was wrong .. WAY too bouncey. It's to the point where my car is undriveable and it seems as though it's ONLY riding on the springs in the front. I can only describe it as the shocks having TONS of rebound with little compression.

I am on the lowest perch to see how low I can go .. but isn't there any kind of ride quality with this? Or is this what riding on dumped coilovers is all about?

Any insight would be great .. anybody have an idea of what could be wrong? Blown shocks?
Maybe you switched the front and rear springs. Or perhaps the shocks need servicing and are no longer able to prevent the spring from bouncing around, meaning a spring wants to spring. So if the shock or strut is shot it won't be able to prevent the bouncy feeling and keep the spring from bouncing around.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,012 Likes on 14,516 Posts
^^^All good advice.

I bought SS on ebay the first go around...arrived missing adjustment knobs, some of them blown and the for an Accord rather than TL (it fit but was much lower off the bat). I ended up returning them to sender and buying new. Hard to know what you're getting off craigslist and there are certain things you can't test right then and there.

Good luck and please keep us posted!