Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:00 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Upgrade

Alright...after stalking the forums for the last month it's time to join the madness.

I just traded in my BMW X5 4.4i for an '07 Acura TL (25k miles). My last 4 cars were Beamers but the last one jut took too much out of me. I spent as much time at the service dept. as I did the gas station (that would be 'a lot' on both counts). Hoping that Acura lives up to its rep for being reliable.

OK, enough intro, here's the question:

I know this subject has been covered in various forms as I've seen in the forums but I'm looking for feedback.

No question the '07 base model has a mushy ride. Comfortable but terrible around the corners, way too loose...feels like I'm swimming. So looks like first thing to do is a suspension upgrade.

After doing the research I think I've settled on Eibach lowering springs, a Progress RSB, and staying with the stock struts.

Anyone running with this combo already? How is it?

I'm looking to increase steering wheel feedback/responsiveness as well as sharpen cornering, this would seem to fit the bill. Not looking to slam my TL, just looking to firm up the ride while not giving up too much comfort (lowering it 3/4-1" and getting rid of some space in the wheel well is a bonus). Opinions? Anyone with any suggestions for a better combo? Anyone see any issues with leaving stock struts on?

Was thinking about going with A-spec kit but I'm not interested in having the back lower than the front (a common occurrence from what I've read).

I've got prices on the parts but no clue about the labor time and where best to take it to have it done.

I will say on BMW's part that the ride on my 3-series and X5 were firm and handled really well so I'm hoping making these changes to my TL will get me back to something similar.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:37 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueGlow_21

No question the '07 base model has a mushy ride. Comfortable but terrible around the corners, way too loose...feels like I'm swimming. So looks like first thing to do is a suspension upgrade.

After doing the research I think I've settled on Eibach lowering springs, a Progress RSB, and staying with the stock struts.

Was thinking about going with A-spec kit but I'm not interested in having the back lower than the front (a common occurrence from what I've read).

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/6mt-tl-lowered-eibach-pro-kit-yesterday-front-higher-826827/

'07/'08 base TL is the softest ride of any 3G TL model/trim. Personally I'm not sure I'd stay with the stock shocks. Maybe OE TL-S or OE '04-'06 shocks. Or Koni or Tokico blue. Upgrade the bushings in the tophats to TL-S bushings too.

There may be some info on dampning here: http://www.hondanews.com/channels/ac...ura-tl-chassis
Old 08-14-2011, 02:32 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
do you have an AT or MT?

the wheel gaps front to back will be more even for aspec suspension if you put the MT version in an AT. just FYI.

the other option is to go with koni shocks with aspec springs (which a couple of guys have done).

aspec will delivery what you seek (improved handling in turns and corners, a firmer feel in your butt, but not overbearing for a DD), IF you drop the MT suspension into an AT vehicle. otherwise, you will need to search out other combos depending on your needs and budget. add the RSB as planned and yes you will flatten out the body roll and tighten the turns significantly to enjoy the ride in a DD.

you will get a variety of biased opinions so make sure YOU are getting what YOU want out of it. good luck.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:37 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
do you have an AT or MT?

the wheel gaps front to back will be more even for aspec suspension if you put the MT version in an AT. just FYI.

the other option is to go with koni shocks with aspec springs (which a couple of guys have done).

aspec will delivery what you seek (improved handling in turns and corners, a firmer feel in your butt, but not overbearing for a DD), IF you drop the MT suspension into an AT vehicle. otherwise, you will need to search out other combos depending on your needs and budget. add the RSB as planned and yes you will flatten out the body roll and tighten the turns significantly to enjoy the ride in a DD.

you will get a variety of biased opinions so make sure YOU are getting what YOU want out of it. good luck.
I knew I had forgotten something. 5AT.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:03 PM
6th Gear

Bearcat thanks for that link.

Now thinking "no go" on the Eibach springs after reading that thread. Wonder how it would handle if I started with putting in Tokico struts and the RSB and leave the springs for later (wondering how low I want to go and if I may want to change out rims down the road...)
Old 08-14-2011, 03:11 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

the least expensive way for install...you and a mechanically inclined buddy.

performance shops in my area go about $500 + align (100-125). my dealer: over $800 for install and align.

DIY is not that bad though there were many f%$* and s@&* being thrown about during that process of fighting the rusty bolts and trying to pull the stock shocks out without using a lift.

you realy don't want to have to change out these parts frequently...its a bit of a pain to have to access the rear mounts. so make sure you know the set up you want is really what you want. why do things twice if you don't have to?

if you are playing with mixing and matching, then that will cost a little extra as well. many kits are plug in play (aspec), or just add top hats then plug in play.

having a lift will help a lot, but most DIY folks have jack stands and a floor jack.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:12 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Now thinking "no go" on the Eibach springs after reading that thread. Wonder how it would handle if I started with putting in Tokico struts and the RSB and leave the springs for later (wondering how low I want to go and if I may want to change out rims down the road...)
if you're thinking you might go lower after rims...then coilovers. i know soooo many choices.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:01 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts

If you've got the $$$, get the shocks/springs right the first time. It is a hassle to do it twice and imho not worth the hassle if you can get it right the first time.

In the HondaNews link I gave, you'll see '07/'08 springs are pretty soft. I don't which contribute to ride handling more, shocks or springs. I'll guess it's the overall combination though.

Last edited by Bearcat94; 08-14-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:32 PM
5th Gear

I put the A-spec suspension kit on my Type-S, only regret is that I didnt do such when i purchased the car new. While not looking to make it a sports car it truely improves the ride quality.