Suspension help please?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:04 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension help please?

Hi everybody,

Just joined the forum after finding a bunch of helpful articles, but it came to the time where I was no longer able to find an answer to my questions. I'm driving an '05 TL 6MT and my cousin gave me OEM 06 TL AT suspension. I am aware that the suspension setup between the AT and MT are different, at least that's what I saw on another thread. I do know that the 06 suspension will fit my 05 MT, but in your opinion, is it worth doing this? How would it affect the ride? I only ask because it's about time that I replace the suspension anyways. Thanks!

Also, I've been thinking about getting lowering springs with a Progress 24mm RSB, but I saw on the forums last night there were issues with people mounts tearing the rear subframe. I drive primarily in NYC, so the roads are horrendous. Has anyone ever found a way around this? Thanks!!
Old 08-30-2017, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Miles on both would help make this determination easier..

Way around ripping subframe? Don't install a Progress. You can always try to just upgrade to a TL-S RSB which should be more forgiving.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,165 Likes on 876 Posts
Honda often uses different spring and damper rates to account for the weight differences between AT/MT models.

So your MT might sit a bit higher and/or ride a bit stiffer using the AT suspension.

If the progress bar has issues ripping out the subframe, maybe a better bet is a 22mm TL-S bar? How big is the factory bar? I have no idea what the spring rates are for the available TL sway bars. So hopefully, someone can chime in. If all the available bars are solid...then its easily deduced that bigger = stiffer. Does the Progress bar have stiff/soft mounting points?

I'm guessing you want to lower it to just have a bit more fun in your DD? Is ride comfort a significant factor for you?
Old 08-30-2017, 12:11 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Miles on both would help make this determination easier..

Way around ripping subframe? Don't install a Progress. You can always try to just upgrade to a TL-S RSB which should be more forgiving.
thoiboi, the mileage on my 05TL reads at 225k but I'm not entirely sure when the previous owner serviced the suspension. The 06 AT suspension has just south of 38k miles on it.

Originally Posted by BROlando
Honda often uses different spring and damper rates to account for the weight differences between AT/MT models.

So your MT might sit a bit higher and/or ride a bit stiffer using the AT suspension.

If the progress bar has issues ripping out the subframe, maybe a better bet is a 22mm TL-S bar? How big is the factory bar? I have no idea what the spring rates are for the available TL sway bars. So hopefully, someone can chime in. If all the available bars are solid...then its easily deduced that bigger = stiffer. Does the Progress bar have stiff/soft mounting points?

I'm guessing you want to lower it to just have a bit more fun in your DD? Is ride comfort a significant factor for you?
BROlando, the factory bar is 19 or 20mm I believe. The progress bar has both a soft and stiff mounting point on it for adjustability. Comfort is not much of a significant factor for me as the roads in NY are always bad so i'm used to uncomfortable cars. But yes, you hit the nail on the head. I want to have the more aggressive look as well as be able to have more fun with turns.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Safety Car

I drive in NYC all the time. For me, having a suspension with compliance really matters in that environment because the roads are pretty torn up.

In any case....have you looked into Tein Street Advance Z (SAZ) coilovers? When set up properly, the comfort is improved over stock...and the ride dynamic (body roll, etc), is also improved over stock. You win twice.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:26 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by BROlando
I drive in NYC all the time. For me, having a suspension with compliance really matters in that environment because the roads are pretty torn up.

In any case....have you looked into Tein Street Advance Z (SAZ) coilovers? When set up properly, the comfort is improved over stock...and the ride dynamic (body roll, etc), is also improved over stock. You win twice.
BROlando, I actually have been thinking about Teen Street Advance Z. The only thing is saving up haha. Do you think it'll alright if I were to use the AT suspension in placement of my MT suspension until I can get coilovers? If not, I'll just sell em somewhere.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:34 PM
Safety Car

You won't do any harm installing the AT suspension. The front may sit a bit higher...but that shouldn't be a big deal.
The following users liked this post:
shottyploxx (08-30-2017)