suggestions on Wheel, tire and suspension mods.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 07:35 PM

suggestions on Wheel, tire and suspension mods.

Hey friends:

What suggestions do you have on non-radical improvements to Silver 2000 TL wheels, rubber and mild suspension changes?
Basically what I'd like to do is end up with something like a TL-S. Any ideas?
I was thinking of 17X7 or 17X7.5 wheels like the TL-S wheels or as nice.
I was also thinking of rubber simillar to the Michelin's used on the S.

What about simple improvements to suspension? Springs and struts or just Struts?

Ideas and comments very welcome.
thanks to all.

Aldanu
Old 11-19-2001, 08:25 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: suggestions on Wheel, tire and suspension mods.

First it does not make much of a difference just to add one inch, specially when you have to spend almost as much as going with 18". Now if you just like the Type S wheels, which are very nice, then get those and you will get 17" because they only come in that size. I would say get just spring if your car has less than 30k miles. Of it has more I would look more into springs and shocks. The sway bars are a must. Either comptech or neuspeed are good. Get different tires with a softer rubber compound. I personally like dunlop.

Whatever you do, I hope you are happy with it. Good luck.

Originally posted by aldanu
Hey friends:

What suggestions do you have on non-radical improvements to Silver 2000 TL wheels, rubber and mild suspension changes?
Basically what I'd like to do is end up with something like a TL-S. Any ideas?
I was thinking of 17X7 or 17X7.5 wheels like the TL-S wheels or as nice.
I was also thinking of rubber simillar to the Michelin's used on the S.

What about simple improvements to suspension? Springs and struts or just Struts?

Ideas and comments very welcome.
thanks to all.

Aldanu
Old 11-22-2001, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I decided I really liked the TL stock seven spoke wheels, so first I got rid of the stock skinny tires and got Michelin Pilot Z rated 205 55 16's which sound skinny but really are about 1 1/2 inches wider than stock. They have been perfect in every way. Then I got Koni yellow adjustable shocks and set them on the one inch lower setting (the lower spring perch). I took off my Comptech lowering springs - car was too low and I kept scraping the nose and bottoming the front suspention when I hit big enough bumps. I put the stock springs back on for now, ride height problems have dissappeared. Next step was Comptech sway bars front and rear, the best mod for the dollar. Your car will never lean in turns again. Follow all this up by a front end alignment and you will really enjoy your car I'm sure. All these mods come in at about 1500 dollars or so - to save money I did all of it at home with friends except of course the tires and alignment.Good luck.
Old 11-22-2001, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
You should have went 225/55/16, it matches up to the overall diameter of the stock 205/60/16 nicely. I'm going to move this post over to the Tires and Wheels forum, you'll probably get more exposure there.
Eddie