Suggestions for abrasive wheel cleaning pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for abrasive wheel cleaning pads

Any one have suggestions on what I can use to finish cleaning these two wheels up? I have no clue what the stuff on the rims are and so far nothing is working. I tried using Meg's all wheel cleaner and searched these forums and bought P21S and that didn't work either. Below are pictures of the two rims.

The first one I used my finger nails for about 2hrs to lottery card scratch the stuff off.

The second one I haven't started yet.

My question is does anyone know of anything like a pad or brush that is HARD enough to get this stuff off but SOFT enough to not scratch the rim itself like my finger nail didn't.

While it doesn't look that way in the pic the first one is much brighter than the second one.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Aired Out TLS

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
Rubbing alcohol and microfiber cloth should do the trick.

Clay bar the wheels should work also. That looks like brake dust baked on your wheels.

I am trying to get some stuff off my aftermarket wheels at the moment. Trust me I have tried a bunch of things.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Looks like you're speaking of removing the OE factory coating from the wheels as the bright spot on the bottom right is just that, the factory coating has been scratched off.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Beat Freak
I haven't tried the clay bar. I watched a bunch of video's on youtube and it looks awesome how the stuff comes off like wet dirt but I think you know its not coming off like that. So far the only one I've seen that might work is some paint removal kit by Turtle Wax because it comes with a really abrasive pad. In the video you can hear it grinding that stuff off, but I'm worried it will put fine scratches on the surface which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

To Turbonut
Another person told me that's what I did but I've already committed to getting the stuff off. When I bought the car I waited until I bought the right stuff to take it off. I searched the forums and most just use Meg's all rims. That didn't work even with "elbow grease." I searched outside acurazine and found P21S, that too didn't work. After scratching a good portion of the stuff off, the first picture is starting to look like the rims on the other side of the car that doesn't have this problem. I'm looking for something that can get into the places my finger nails can't.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
I would just go to any Home Improvement store and buy some sanding pads that are abrasive and fine. Finishing scuffing up the wheels and repaint them yourself. This can be done in one weekend. Or have them media blasted and powder coated. You've already scuffed most of the finish off , so you might as well make them how you want them to be.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:23 PM
All Around Klown

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Try to find the white scrubby pads that window tint shops use to prep your glass before tint. They do not scratch and clean very very good. I use them on rims, glass, and have even used them on paint before to get over spray off. The only thing you cant use them on is plastic. And after using them on your windshield, your wipers work 200% better!!!!