springs vs coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 03:16 PM
OREO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
springs vs coilovers

ok so im also ready to get the coilovers either basic or ss, havent decided that yet, but i was talking to my barber who suggested that i go with a nice set of springs. The coilovers make the ride extremely 'stiff' & 'harsh' the springs he says will give it that look that im going for without sacrificing too much of the comfort.

Any comments from those who have experimented with both options? Also any suggestions on brands....etc etc.

Your feedback would be much appreciated!
Old 12-18-2009, 04:56 PM
SpeedDemon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out neuspeed super cup kit, its combo of springs and shocks, price is around 600$ from vendors on here, and everyone reports that they r close to stock ride and better handling. Thats what i am also thinking of getting since i am also in nyc
Old 12-18-2009, 05:33 PM
ADVANCE.

I used to have Tein S-Tech springs on stock Type-S struts. They were too bouncey for me so I swapped them out and bought some Tein SS's. They are waaay better than my springs, but of course they were on stock struts so that was a factor too. Other than that I like the Tein SS's because you can change the dampening settings. I love them! On the Tein basics there is no dampening on the them, so you are stuck with however they ride. Good luck with your choice but if you go with springs get some new struts with them.

PEACE!
Old 12-18-2009, 06:43 PM
OREO

Originally Posted by J-STEELE
I used to have Tein S-Tech springs on stock Type-S struts. They were too bouncey for me so I swapped them out and bought some Tein SS's. They are waaay better than my springs, but of course they were on stock struts so that was a factor too. Other than that I like the Tein SS's because you can change the dampening settings. I love them! On the Tein basics there is no dampening on the them, so you are stuck with however they ride. Good luck with your choice but if you go with springs get some new struts with them.

PEACE!
yea the choices are either a) springs & shocks, or b) tein coilovers...
Old 12-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
tell your barber to stick to what he does best...

unless he has a car of his own that he mods as a side hobby..

anyways.. its personal preference..

height adjustability or not.
slammage or not..
great handle vs terrible
stiff vs soft

etc etc etc
Old 12-19-2009, 04:14 PM
OREO

Originally Posted by jjashaa
tell your barber to stick to what he does best...

unless he has a car of his own that he mods as a side hobby..

anyways.. its personal preference..

height adjustability or not.
slammage or not..
great handle vs terrible
stiff vs soft

etc etc etc
lol he does his fair share....

i dont really care if i have the option of adjusting it. I def dont want it slammed, the nyc streets dont permit it! Ofcourse i want the handling to be excellent! Finally i dont want it to be too stiff, and thats what my barber was talking about. Many of the people here have coilovers which cost most and i wonder why. I dont mind spending the few extra dollars but if i dont have too shit why not?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NYC04TL
lol he does his fair share....

i dont really care if i have the option of adjusting it. I def dont want it slammed, the nyc streets dont permit it! Ofcourse i want the handling to be excellent! Finally i dont want it to be too stiff, and thats what my barber was talking about. Many of the people here have coilovers which cost most and i wonder why. I dont mind spending the few extra dollars but if i dont have too shit why not?
That right there is all the info you need IMO. Go with the supercup kit. You can get a nice drop and adjustable koni's and at an a great price. I Hate Cars doesn't have CO's and probably has the best handling car on this forum. I have my thoughts about people slamming on CO's and it's absolutely not the way to get the best handling out of a car. I have an article that I must post concerning that.......
Old 12-19-2009, 09:42 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
If you can swing it, do it right by going with coils. Other setups will work, but with coils, you have springs and struts that were specifically designed to go with each other. I'm not a big Tein fan, but coils are always preferred, if you have the option.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Springs and new shocks/struts worked well for me. I didn't need the adjustability option for either ride or height, so I spent my money elsewhere on my car. The ride is great (a bit stiffer than stock, but not by much at all) and the car generally handles better in turns. I went with Tokico "Blues" (HP), but if you want to spend a little more money and want a little adjustability to fudge with, go with the Koni "Yellows". I had them on one of my Miatas, and they are a great shock/strut option.

Sounds like the Neuspeed kit would have been another option I should have looked at before my own purchase months ago, if only for the inclusion of the Konis.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:30 PM
OREO

Originally Posted by Red Voodoo
Springs and new shocks/struts worked well for me. I didn't need the adjustability option for either ride or height, so I spent my money elsewhere on my car. The ride is great (a bit stiffer than stock, but not by much at all) and the car generally handles better in turns. I went with Tokico "Blues" (HP), but if you want to spend a little more money and want a little adjustability to fudge with, go with the Koni "Yellows". I had them on one of my Miatas, and they are a great shock/strut option.

Sounds like the Neuspeed kit would have been another option I should have looked at before my own purchase months ago, if only for the inclusion of the Konis.
do you have any pics for comparison?
Old 12-20-2009, 05:36 PM
OREO

Originally Posted by princelybug
If you can swing it, do it right by going with coils. Other setups will work, but with coils, you have springs and struts that were specifically designed to go with each other. I'm not a big Tein fan, but coils are always preferred, if you have the option.

well money isnt the problem, but i dont know if coilovers are right for ME.

However i am looking to weigh out my options and then make the best selection.

if spring and shocks get the job done why not spend less? keep in mind i cant lower my car beyond a certain point nyc streets will rape my car, therefore making the coilovers a waste for me.

at the same time i dont wanna spend money on spring and shocks and still have a gap between my wheels and fender, im looking for a flush finish whether it be with coilovers or springs i dont care.

another BIG deciding factor is the ride, as i originally stated my barber mentioned that the ride is not as comfortable as it would be with shocks n springs.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 PM
OREO

ok so after looking through as many threads as i possibly could, LOL

ive decided to go with the neuspeed super cut kit! w/sport springs....now to get it for the lowest price!

anyone got any hookups?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Bored at work

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you go with those living in nyc your gonna brake the c-clip the holds the spring perch...i know i replaced 3 sets already for 3 different people....
Old 12-23-2009, 07:57 PM
OREO

Originally Posted by tl2slow
if you go with those living in nyc your gonna brake the c-clip the holds the spring perch...i know i replaced 3 sets already for 3 different people....
so what would you recommend? and you said you replaced? how much do u charge?
Old 12-23-2009, 10:26 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
hey u guys know that "tldream" is selling tein basics with 10k miles on them WITH tophats already assembled for $500 shipped right? i think he would have sold them by now but most people probably didn't see his ad in the black market.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Bored at work

Well i charge 150 and i would go with tokico blues and h&r sport.....
Old 12-24-2009, 10:08 AM
ADVANCE.

Also to consider, right now you may feel like you don't want to slam it but in the future you may want to higher it or even lower it somemore and having coilovers will give you the options to make it perfect for your driving pleasure. With springs and shocks, you will be stuck to one setting and that's it. I think but not too sure about others, besides the neuspeed super cut kit you won't be able to adjust them. Being on this forum and looking at pictures, you are gonna start getting ideas... Just a thought to consider. hahaha...

PEACE!

Last edited by J-STEELE; 12-24-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:56 PM
OREO

Well i charge 150 and i would go with tokico blues and h&r sport.....
u have your own shop? too late already purchased the neuspeed with the sport springs. $678 shipped.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:58 PM
OREO

Originally Posted by J-STEELE
Also to consider, right now you may feel like you don't want to slam it but in the future you may want to higher it or even lower it somemore and having coilovers will give you the options to make it perfect for your driving pleasure. With springs and shocks, you will be stuck to one setting and that's it. I think but not too sure about others, besides the neuspeed super cut kit you won't be able to adjust them. Being on this forum and looking at pictures, you are gonna start getting ideas... Just a thought to consider. hahaha...

PEACE!
wait who said the neuspeed aren't adjustable? last think i checked the konis are adjustable.

also not that price was a HUGE deciding factor, i dont feel that i will fully utilize the coilovers so i also saved myself about 6-7 hundred.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:59 AM
ADVANCE.

Yea you are right about the neuspeed they are adjustable, but I said I don't know about other setups besides the Neuspeed supercup kit that are adjustables... =) My bad, I guess I worded it wrong.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Advanced

Whoever is doing your install, make sure to stress that the c-clip MUST be seated correctly and snugly or you'll end up breaking them. Double and triple check these before finishing the job.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Bored at work

Originally Posted by NYC04TL
wait who said the neuspeed aren't adjustable? last think i checked the konis are adjustable.

also not that price was a HUGE deciding factor, i dont feel that i will fully utilize the coilovers so i also saved myself about 6-7 hundred.
hey am selling my tein basics coilovers installed for 600......
Old 01-01-2010, 12:48 PM
OREO

hey am selling my tein basics coilovers installed for 600......
son of a *)(#*$($# now u tell me AFTER i order the neuspeeds SMH!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 12:49 PM
OREO

Originally Posted by ImagePree
Whoever is doing your install, make sure to stress that the c-clip MUST be seated correctly and snugly or you'll end up breaking them. Double and triple check these before finishing the job.

thanks for the tip!