SPRING 07' PROJECT: Lowering my TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:05 PM
06 RBP Acura TL A-Spec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SPRING 07' PROJECT: Lowering my TL

Winters coming to an end...

SPRING 07' PROJECT: Lowering my TL

I don't think its going to snow anymore this winter so now its time to start my next project on my car.

I need help from everyone on Acurazine, because I can't seem to come up with the best combination of springs and struts. I am tired of my car looking like its a SUV, its time to lower it. I'm debating between using aftermarket springs and stock struts for now or to change the struts as well. I might even just heat my springs and leave it all stock, hahha j/p

Please leave me lots of feedback.. it will be much appreciated.

I promise to take a lot of pictures while its getting installed for your enjoyments.

First time lowering my car.. my biggest fear is of my tires rubbing. Especially when I hit bumps and have a few passengers.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, there are only 2 shocks available for the car, Koni Sport or Eibach Pro Damper. A lot of people here have Konis and they are a very good performer. I don't know if anyone has tried Eibach yet.

You have a lot of choices of springs. It depends on how much you want to lower your car. A-spec suspension also fits the bill if you want only mild lowering.

If you want to have extreme lowering, I'd suggest going to adjustable coilover setup, like Tein.

If you are on stock rims and tires, you'll have to really slam your car to get the tires to rub. If you stick with springs and shocks, you won't rub.

Heating the stock springs is a no no. At the very least the ride will be uncomfortable, but it also means the car will handle unsafely. Also if the springs break, you might have an accident.

I always suggest to change the springs and shocks at the same time. It will safe you labor money and time.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 260 HP
First off, there are only 2 shocks available for the car, Koni Sport or Eibach Pro Damper. A lot of people here have Konis and they are a very good performer. I don't know if anyone has tried Eibach yet.

You have a lot of choices of springs. It depends on how much you want to lower your car. A-spec suspension also fits the bill if you want only mild lowering.

If you want to have extreme lowering, I'd suggest going to adjustable coilover setup, like Tein.

If you are on stock rims and tires, you'll have to really slam your car to get the tires to rub. If you stick with springs and shocks, you won't rub.

Heating the stock springs is a no no. At the very least the ride will be uncomfortable, but it also means the car will handle unsafely. Also if the springs break, you might have an accident.

I always suggest to change the springs and shocks at the same time. It will safe you labor money and time.
260 HP

yeah, so I'm trying to find a combo too, so that i can lower mine as well. the a-spec are just too hard to get a handle on (no one has a set w/o the freakin' a-spec rims!). how does the koni struts and the comptech lowering springs sound? I'm not looking for a major drop...just better cornering! let me know!

thanks!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:45 AM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
I'm also working on this project, I may go with either the eibach pro kit or tein h tech..since I'm not looking for a big drop..this will give about 1 inch
Old 03-17-2007, 09:51 AM
wdp skyhawk

I am thinking of the same setup maybe tein h spring and just some new factory struts they can handle 1" of lowering with no problem. also make sure you get a rsb I have one and even at stock height my car corners very well. I am running the comptech rsb but they have progressive rsb and I have heard of people running the manual transmission rsb on automatic tl's. This is a must if you want better handling.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by erick3
260 HP

the a-spec are just too hard to get a handle on (no one has a set w/o the freakin' a-spec rims!).
Acura of Las Vegas has the a-spec suspension w/o the rims on e-bay.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Comptech springs for the TL are rebadged Eibach Prokits. They will give you a firm controlled ride with much less pogoing effect that plagues the stock suspension.

H&R Sport springs paired with Koni Sport shocks are also a good choice. I don't know much about the Tein springs.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:00 PM
wdp skyhawk

tein makes pretty good stuff I would say they are definately quality springs just like eibach and H&R and comptech etc...
Old 03-18-2007, 11:59 AM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by legend74
Acura of Las Vegas has the a-spec suspension w/o the rims on e-bay.
yea, but its only available for manual, for auto you have to get the package w/ rims..
Old 03-19-2007, 12:07 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bigmoetl1
I am thinking of the same setup maybe tein h spring and just some new factory struts they can handle 1" of lowering with no problem. also make sure you get a rsb I have one and even at stock height my car corners very well. I am running the comptech rsb but they have progressive rsb and I have heard of people running the manual transmission rsb on automatic tl's. This is a must if you want better handling.
really? acura of lynnwood advised me to buy new struts as well. even if it is ONLY a 1'' drop...won't it kill the length of the stock struts? i'm probably wrong. enlighten me please!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:13 AM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
really? acura of lynnwood advised me to buy new struts as well. even if it is ONLY a 1'' drop...won't it kill the length of the stock struts? i'm probably wrong. enlighten me please!
yea, dropping the car will prematurely wear the stock struts.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Installing stiffer springs (almost all lowering springs have higher spring rates) will overwork the stock shocks. This is the reason stock shocks will not last as long. This is also assuming that the installer installed the springs correctly, ie trimming the bump stops when it's not recommended by the spring manufacturer.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Erick3, once you're done in lowering your car, we should hook up. Wanted to check out how's the ride quality. Also wanted to lower my car with the Koni yellow shocks and springs(brand undecided). Its just the ride quality issue that is holding me back.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cjhurtado2
Hey Erick3, once you're done in lowering your car, we should hook up. Wanted to check out how's the ride quality. Also wanted to lower my car with the Koni yellow shocks and springs(brand undecided). Its just the ride quality issue that is holding me back.
sure why the hell not. haha i'll let you know as soon as i get it done.

eric