Is A-Spec suspension worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:17 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is A-Spec suspension worth it?

I read some comments about the A-Spec suspension kit, is it really better than the stock TL-S suspension?
Old 06-13-2008, 02:22 AM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i dunno how the TL-S suspension rides.

what i DO know is i love the A-spec suspension. Great back massager
Old 06-13-2008, 02:25 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
If you have the stock Type-S suspension already, I wouldn't do the A-Spec. You are better served to spend your money on aftermarket products.

Just my .
Old 06-14-2008, 08:00 AM
10th Gear

Ok thanks guys, I'm looking for a suspension that still give a smooth ride, roads are bad here in Montreal. I had a Tein super street on a prelude and it was fine also had a tein flex on a TSX and I didn't like it. Any recommandations?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I think it is odd that we try to differentiate all these stock suspensions. They are pretty similar aren't they? To me, if you are going to swap the suspension, put something that is really going to make a big difference in there. Tein or H&R or something. I guess if you don't want a big change the OEM supply stuff is best, but I get a lot of people in here that go that way and end up want a little more.

If you liked the SS on the lude, why not try them on the TSX? Or Tanabe SOC2?

Marcus
Old 06-14-2008, 09:32 AM
iScrape going into

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think maybe the Eibach/Koni set up would be pretty good. I have Tein Basics and they ride very close to stock and not stiff at all.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
I think it is odd that we try to differentiate all these stock suspensions. They are pretty similar aren't they? To me, if you are going to swap the suspension, put something that is really going to make a big difference in there. Tein or H&R or something. I guess if you don't want a big change the OEM supply stuff is best, but I get a lot of people in here that go that way and end up want a little more.

If you liked the SS on the lude, why not try them on the TSX? Or Tanabe SOC2?

Marcus

I disagree. This assumes that lower=better. That is completely untrue. If you are interested in performance, the A-Spec is the best suspension. The springs and shocks are matched for each other and the car and it lowers the car the right amount. It handles way better than the base or Type S suspensions. It is a factory part and comes with a factory warranty, which equals resale.

On the other hand, if you want to be a poser and slow down to 2 MPH for every curb, pothole, and driveway you go acrosss, then get yourselfs a set of Teins and match them up to the stock shocks like the 99% of people who own them.

Keep in mind when getting opinions, that the people who recommend other springs over the A-Specs, don't sell A-Specs, and therefore they don't make money when you buy them.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Cruisin'

a-spec vs stock type-s

i worked for acura, and hell no it's not worth getting, you might as well spend the $800+ on fully adjustable teins with adjustable dampers, that's what i'm putting on mine, it's only worth it if it's free, and then again, probably won't be worth wasting your time installing, barely a difference
Old 06-15-2008, 12:35 AM
is stock...for now

Unless you guys take your cars to the track, what does it matter? If you simply want to lower the car for aesthetic purposes, get the suspension that lowers the car to your desired height.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Advanced

A-Spec in Montreal

Originally Posted by Torm39
Ok thanks guys, I'm looking for a suspension that still give a smooth ride, roads are bad here in Montreal. I had a Tein super street on a prelude and it was fine also had a tein flex on a TSX and I didn't like it. Any recommandations?
Hi Torm39,

I'm in the Montreal area and installed the A-Spec suspension 2 months ago (2004 6MT). The car behaves much better under acceleration, braking and sharp turn conditions. You'll notice that accelleration swat, braking nose dive, body roll (sway) is significantly reduced. Also, when going on and off the gas in a turn (example: shifting with a 6MT), no more steering correction is needed!

As for ride comfort and potholes, you're definately losing some comfort but it's acceptable (my taste!). I notice it more when driving at low speed on bad roads (aka Montreal). At higher speeds on ok roads, body movement over bumps is increased but you'll feel that the suspension is more "in control" of the wheels. What was a "boinggggg" long lasting impression is now a short and controled "thump". Road noise inside the cabin did not change alot. Sure you'll have to watch for potholes but so far I didn't suffer any dammage with my setup.

For you're info, I have the 18" A-Spec wheels with Goodyear F1 Summer tires. If you're on stock wheels, your car will run smooter than mine. I did not change the rear sway bar as we speak. I want to spend a winter with the A-Spec suspension first. Going for a larger rear sway bar (I have the 6MT with larger RSB than Auto) can induce oversteer in our harsh winter conditions so I'll wait.

Let me know if you need additional info.

Regards from Candiac.

Carl
Old 06-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i cant say anything about the type-s suspension, but the aspec suspension is MUCH better than the base TL suspension
Old 06-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by flydog
I disagree. This assumes that lower=better. That is completely untrue. If you are interested in performance, the A-Spec is the best suspension. The springs and shocks are matched for each other and the car and it lowers the car the right amount. It handles way better than the base or Type S suspensions. It is a factory part and comes with a factory warranty, which equals resale.

On the other hand, if you want to be a poser and slow down to 2 MPH for every curb, pothole, and driveway you go acrosss, then get yourselfs a set of Teins and match them up to the stock shocks like the 99% of people who own them.

Keep in mind when getting opinions, that the people who recommend other springs over the A-Specs, don't sell A-Specs, and therefore they don't make money when you buy them.

I think you are missing my point. I have nothing against these kits for people who truly desire the mild upgrade that it is. What I mean is that people tend to be conservative or get turned off because of negative posts regarding warranty and drivability (which are completely blown out of proportion, as a matter of fact). When indeed, the more aggressive suspension is just what the poeple would go for given unbiased facts.

Torm39, keep in mind when getting opinions, that people who recommend one product over another so vehemently generally feel their opinion is worth more than objective fact. They have nothing to gain except the knowledge that their persuasive efforts have led you to make the same choice they have which gives them some sort of personal gratification, regardless if that choice is right for you. Retailers, like the quality ones on this site, have every interest in providing you with a product you will like, and claims of bias based on the profitability of an item are shaky at best.

flydog, I respect your opinion as a experienced user that the A-Spec is a good kit, and nobody is disputing that. It is certainly a great choice for a certain segment of the market, as the options from other companies are for other segments. Your comments make aftermarket suspension sound like crap (they aren't) and that lowering the car more than the A-spec is stupid (it isn't). Those are your opinions.

Marcus

PS, we sell the A-spec too.