A-Spec suspension question - Using M/T on an A/T - long term affects/defects?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A-Spec suspension question - Using M/T on an A/T - long term affects/defects?

Hi everyone! I'm finally sucking it up and going for the a-spec suspension for my '05 (A/T). From hanging around this forum for the past while, I know for sure that the M/T would fit, and gives the car an even drop. When I called my local dealer to place the order and told the parts-manager that I wanted the M/T kit, she cannot guarantee 100% that would work, but most likely it will. Her only concern is the warranty; cuz I am putting a M/T onto an A/T. So, all the members out there that has the M/T kit on their A/T, do you have any issues with the springs/struts after a long term use (say a year)?

The parts-manager doesn't think anything will go wrong; springs are springs. But she left the choice for me to make. Any feedback/advise would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:37 AM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
I have the M/T Aspec suspension on the A/T. I bought mine from Kennedy and he had put 10k on them. I've since put about 25k on them and they've been on my car for over a year. I haven't had a single problem with them. Just make sure to have an alignment done after the install. It probably won't need it but it is good proof to have just in case. Here is a summary of previous discussions that I've had on this or have read. I was in the same boat as you when looking into this.

The M/T TL is about 200lbs lighter in the front end so the M/T suspension has a slightly lower compression ratio with provides a more even drop on the front end. The rear end components are the same for the A/T vs M/T. Even though the Aspec gives a published drop of about 1" it is in reality anywhere from .25 to .75". This is a minor drop and leaves the suspension plenty of room to work right. If the M/T suspension were to cause the front end to drop 2" do to the lower compression ratio, then I'd be worried. As it is the drop is nowhere close to putting on TIENs or another aftermarket suspension (of course they are designed for a bigger drop).

Maybe Kennedy will see your thread and put his in. I'm pretty sure I got everything right above. I think one of the threads I started way back when I was looking into it has all this information covered in it.

Out of curiosity, the only way the dealer could get the aspec suspension in the past is if it was sold as part of the whole aspec package. Has that changed?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
The dealer can repair any blown aspec shocks if it is registered with acura as an aspec TL, or if the tech doesn't care and orders it. but the MT should not have any bad effects on the car. The only thing that would happen is that the front shocks would wear out slightly quicker, maybe 1000 or so miles less. Thats it.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:19 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Buda you certainly can find just A-Spec coil-overs. A lot of them on ebay and those are usually Acura dealer stores. From what I've read some dealers still take an all or nothing approach.

Just for reference can some one post part numbers for the MT and AT versions?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Man of God.....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Hey!

Buda, Minn. a waven at ya!! How are you. Good to see you posting here. Hope all is well! See ya.....
Old 07-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Starcraft II addict

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Buda you certainly can find just A-Spec coil-overs. A lot of them on ebay and those are usually Acura dealer stores. From what I've read some dealers still take an all or nothing approach.

Just for reference can some one post part numbers for the MT and AT versions?
I knew it could be done but before there were like only one or two dealerships willing to do it, even on Ebay. Basically the dealership had to order the package (suspension w/ wheels) and then sell them seperately. The two main dealerships that did this before were located in a good wheel market to make if feasible. To my knowledge Acura does not "allow" separate sale of the suspension to a non-aspec registered car.

Here are the part numbers for the '04 to '06. Not sure about the '07 and '08 TL. I pulled them from my old thread on this.

Auto is: 08W60-SEP-200
Manual: 08W60-SEP-200A

For additional reading here is the link to my old thread. https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/i-need-feedback-147540/

Hey Spiritman! Good to hear from ya. Yeah I haven't been to active of a member lately until about 3 months or so ago when I helped with a meet in KC. Even then I've been more a lurker. Figured it was about time to start contributing again.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Man of God.....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Swweeet!

Well, you were a ton of help to me in our meet here!! We posted a "feeler" post. In the meet thread that is on going for Minn. I got 6 names. So looks like no big meet at Burkley this year.... I just needed my backup man to push it, thats all!

Glad to hear things are well!!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Starcraft II addict

Check the Twin Cities Acura Thread. It looks like they may be getting together this weekend.

Sorry about the off topic. C2pid, are you going for the MT suspension?