AT A-Spec suspension on a MT? Thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 04:17 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
AT A-Spec suspension on a MT? Thoughts...

So I finally was able to locate and purchase an A-Spec suspension from Curry Acura in NY. To my dismay, they shipped me the 200A part number.

From the homework I've done, the 200A PN is the A-Spec suspension for a TL with automatic trans (200B for manual). The spring/damping balance is a little stiffer to accomodate the additional weight of the auto trans (which is apparently about 120 lbs heavier). From what I've been told, this is splitting hairs, and the difference (when installed) is negligiable...

I called Curry and confirmed this, and they are being very ameneable. They'll send me a call tag to return the incorrect item, and ship me the proper suspension in another week or so.

So I'm a bit conflicted...
I could install the properly spec'd setup or go with the stiffer setup.

Points of consideration:

1) Both kits bolt up. The only difference is the SLIGHTLY stiffer spring rate on the "auto". Given this is a performance suspension, it would probably help to be slightly stiffer up front, especially considering I'm installing a Comptech 22mm RSB in the rear, to tighten up the rear more. My only concern would be the extra stiffness making the car higher in the front.

2) It'll be another 2 weeks before I can get the 200B setup, and I have to deal with the hassle of this return.

... so what to do?
Go with the technically correct kit?
or go with the probably performance superior "incorrect" kit.

I appreciate your thoughts.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:05 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Up to you, they are almost identical so if you don't care all that much I'd just install what you have on hand. Everyone on here says the 2 kits are basically the same.

If you care a ton about how much "drop" you'll get then you might want to switch, personally that didn't matter to me that's why I got an a-spec versus some OEM Aftermarket kit, plus, it's an Acura original part on my car still then.

The only downside I can even think of is if a warranty question or problem ever arose and they said it's not the correct part you have on your car.