A-Spec Suspension Install/First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A-Spec Suspension Install/First Impressions

When I first purchased my TL last month (Anthracite/Navi/Auto) one of the first things noticed was how smooth the ride was. However, when it was pushed, the understeer became pronounced and it just felt squirrely. So, after reading several posts about the different suspensions, I decided on lowering it. I wanted to lower with the least loss of ride quality. My 2002 Type S had the Tein SS, with EDFC and that did wonders for the car. On the soft setting, it felt smoother than stock. Didn't see that these were available for 2005 and with the A-Spec being "Factory" I decided to purchase it from Falconi in Las Vegas. Very good service. $700.00 shipped.

Install took about 4 hours, start to finish and was not terribly difficult. I followed the instructions on this site. Please read the posts on how to remove the rear seat. The bolts at the top of the back rest are accessible if you lift the headrests and use the slit underneath. Also, you don't have to completely remove these bolts. Just LOOSEN them. The seat back will slide up and out. This helps because threading them back in was a pain in the arse. This was a much easier install than the Teins on my 2002, mainly due to lack of necessity for a spring compressor.

In all honesty, my first impression on the road was that the ride was much stiffer than I thought it would be for only lowering 1/2". However, not overly harsh, just unexpected compared to my prior experience.

Let me tell you, though, this suspension dramatically improves handling. The steering felt much more centered (tracks better), steering effort increased just a tad, and not nearly as much leaning when pushed. All make the car much more fun to drive. It may be my imagination, but their was a minimal increase in road noise.

P.S. I have now added 19" TSW Stings and will attempt to post pics in a bit.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Great review. Each of you have shown the wonderful experiences with this A-Spec, which encourages me to hurry up.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I added the A-Spec Suspension and the Comptech RSB as well. Can't really say how much difference the Bar makes 'cause they were installed together. But as you have said, the car really tracks well into corners with much less lean and exhibits less nose dive while braking and less squat while accelerating. All of this on my stock wheel and tires. I'll be adding 18's after the winter and can hardly wait!
Old 01-11-2005, 06:24 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bpker,
can you direct me to the A-Spec suspension instructions? i will attempt to put them on this weekend.