A-Spec Suspension Compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:20 PM
"Go Big or Go Home"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A-Spec Suspension Compatibility?

I have an 05 TL (Base, Automatic) and want to get the A-Spec suspension. Would anyone be able to tell me if either of these are compatible with my car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-08...Q5fAccessories

Also, is the A-Spec suspension really worth it? I want to keep the smooth TL ride, and have the car lowered and get better handling. Would the A-Spec suspension work well with a Progress Bar?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
The Aspec suspension is great, possibly the best suspension for our cars from a functional and even performance standpoint. The only thing I didn't like about the suspension that came with my car was that it sat higher in the front than in the rear. If I were you I would get the 04-06 Aspec suspension for a manual transmission car. It will give you an even drop front to back and it rides amazing. A Progress sway bar will be an excellent upgrade in addition to the Aspec suspension.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:11 PM
"Go Big or Go Home"

So u suggest getting the a-spec suspension for a manual? Is the drop really noticeable?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:16 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Yes and yes
Old 12-16-2009, 12:47 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
get the a-spec suspension for the '05, the manual transmission version. the ride is awesome, probably the best tuned all-around ride for this car, but don't expect a huge drop. if you want a drop get teins or something else.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:32 AM
"Go Big or Go Home"

what's the difference between the automatic and manual suspension? sorry, I'm a noobie
Old 12-16-2009, 11:45 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

I told in my first reply, the manual suspension drops the front a slight bit more to provide an even drop up front and in the rear.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:16 PM
I used to own a

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have a 6-speed like me, I run full manual a-spec kit, but swapped out the front springs for eibach pro-kits to keep the nose down.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:20 PM
"Go Big or Go Home"

So just to make things clear, even though I have an automatic TL, the a-spec suspension made for manuals is still gonna fit?
Old 12-16-2009, 01:06 PM
I used to own a

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:22 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nazTL
So just to make things clear, even though I have an automatic TL, the a-spec suspension made for manuals is still gonna fit?
Yes, I ran the manual A-Spec on my auto TL-S before I opted for the Tein H-Tech. I did not like how little the rear was lowered compared to the front. The front was perfect but the rear was only lowered about 0.5". This setup handled fantastic for a front wheel drive car. Very flat and stable in turns.

Here is a pic for illustration.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:10 AM
"Go Big or Go Home"

So you didn't like how the manual a-spec suspension looked? I'm having a really hard time trying to decide if I wanna go with the A-spec suspension or spend a bit more and get the Tein suspension (don't know which model tho). What would you reccomend? I'm trying to lower my car, give it that nice look, but also maintain ride quality.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:33 AM
"Go Big or Go Home"

Also, when you say you didn't like how little the rear was lowered compared to the front, are you talking about the a spec suspension for the automatic or the manual?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:01 AM
NBP is a pain...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetJazz
Yes, I ran the manual A-Spec on my auto TL-S before I opted for the Tein H-Tech. I did not like how little the rear was lowered compared to the front. The front was perfect but the rear was only lowered about 0.5". This setup handled fantastic for a front wheel drive car. Very flat and stable in turns.

Here is a pic for illustration.

do you have a pic of your tein htech setup?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:31 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
if you want ride quality get a-spec. if you want to drop it get teins. the teins ride good considering you're dropped but unless your roads are really smooth they can get choppy over rough roads. if you ride low you can kind of balance it out with 18" or smaller wheels, but with 19's or bigger the ride can get choppy.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
A-spec is perfect for someone wanting an increase in performance, a slight drop (yes, .5" is noticable), and to retain much of the factory ride quality.

I'm running the manual trans a-spec on my 5at. It lowers the front just a little more but with my two heavy subs the rear was about 1/4" lower than the front. I cured it by setting my Konis to the lower position. The manual a-spec in an auto will make it sit very nice. An almost even drop with the front just a hair lower.

You notice the small bumps more with the a-specs but the large bumps aren't noticeably worse.

Keep in mind you need balance when looking for performance. The a-spec springs and shocks take out some of the understeer which is a good thing. It has a very nice balance at the limit.

If you have an auto transmission you have the small hollow 25mm front swaybar. You do not want a 24mm Progress rear sway bar with the small 5at front bar and the a-specs. My car oversteered badly (tail happy) with that setup. If you want to upgrade the rear swaybar and not the front, use one off of a 6mt or TL-S, both are dirt cheap. Or upgrade the front bar to an H&R or TL-S and do the rear bar at the same time. This will keep the balance right. In fact I recommend the $60 TL-S bar with the Progress rear bar. The H&R will give you too much understeer unless you go stiffer on the rear springs too.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 PM
2016 E350 Sport

So you didn't like how the manual a-spec suspension looked? I'm having a really hard time trying to decide if I wanna go with the A-spec suspension or spend a bit more and get the Tein suspension (don't know which model tho). What would you reccomend? I'm trying to lower my car, give it that nice look, but also maintain ride quality.
I just felt that the rear drop did not match the front the way I wanted. Several people on this forum have the same setup and are happy with it. It is all personal preference. The Tein H-Tech setup gives me what I wanted without having to spend the dollars for coilovers. Also note that I am still using the A-Spec shocks.

Also, when you say you didn't like how little the rear was lowered compared to the front, are you talking about the a spec suspension for the automatic or the manual?
I have an auto TL-S and I had the manual transmission A-Spec springs. An auto transmission TL/TL-S with auto transmission A-Spec springs will not give the drop in the front. The front will probably look higher than the rear which is unacceptable IMHO.

Originally Posted by gotkilled
do you have a pic of your tein htech setup?
No not yet. I may snap a pic this weekend if the weather is OK.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by I hate cars
A-spec is perfect for someone wanting an increase in performance, a slight drop (yes, .5" is noticable), and to retain much of the factory ride quality.

I'm running the manual trans a-spec on my 5at. It lowers the front just a little more but with my two heavy subs the rear was about 1/4" lower than the front. I cured it by setting my Konis to the lower position. The manual a-spec in an auto will make it sit very nice. An almost even drop with the front just a hair lower.

You notice the small bumps more with the a-specs but the large bumps aren't noticeably worse.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:05 PM
"Go Big or Go Home"

Originally Posted by I hate cars

Keep in mind you need balance when looking for performance. The a-spec springs and shocks take out some of the understeer which is a good thing. It has a very nice balance at the limit.

If you have an auto transmission you have the small hollow 25mm front swaybar. You do not want a 24mm Progress rear sway bar with the small 5at front bar and the a-specs. My car oversteered badly (tail happy) with that setup. If you want to upgrade the rear swaybar and not the front, use one off of a 6mt or TL-S, both are dirt cheap. Or upgrade the front bar to an H&R or TL-S and do the rear bar at the same time. This will keep the balance right. In fact I recommend the $60 TL-S bar with the Progress rear bar. The H&R will give you too much understeer unless you go stiffer on the rear springs too.
wow, this was truly was extremely helpful, thank alottt!!! I've decided to do the manual a-spec suspension on my automatic TL. Just to make things clear, I want to get the TL-S front sway bar and the Progress rear bar (24mm), right? Any idea where I can get the TL-S front sway bar? Thanks again guys!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:11 PM
"Go Big or Go Home"

Do I have to buy the front right & left sway bar links for the TL-S sway bar too? Just saw it on ebay so I'm wondering
Old 12-18-2009, 01:15 PM
"Go Big or Go Home"

anyone??
Old 12-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too toy with the idea of dropping my TL-S auto, but don't know which way to go myself, definately DON'T want a harsh ride but want to tell it has been dropped (nothing to drastic)...what makes the man. a-spec springs drop the car lower than auto a-spec springs??? How much do either kit usually cost, looked on e-bay motors and it looks like ball park is right around 600, is this a good price???
Old 12-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
I told in my first reply, the manual suspension drops the front a slight bit more to provide an even drop up front and in the rear.

hi anthra,
looking thru the boards to research some reviews as i'm interested in the same kit as well as the link OP provided.

i'm ok using '07-'08 5AT kit, and heard fitment and compatibility is same.

but to clarify, since owning an auto, if the "drop" difference is because of stiffer spring rates possibly used for the auto suspension kit to accomodate for the extra weight?

i prefer, and favor the kit with less drop. and if the '07-'08 aspec also achieves same results... then let me know as that'll be the most suitable mod here as well, thanx.

(only looking to add some stiffness to the suspension.)
Old 12-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I would like to drive a car with the A-spec suspension just to compare it with my own set-up. Maybe that would explain to me all of the hoopla surrounding it. I know it's OEM equipment, but with the right aftermarket set-up, I'm sure something can be designed to directly compete, if not surpass, the performance of the A-spec kit. I'm not boo-hooing it... just thinking out loud.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:54 PM
OREO

I think what everyone is trying to say is that the aspec suspension is great! It will def maintain the ride quality but the drop may not be sufficient in which case u may need to swap out the springs. IMO ur better off getting the neuspeed super cup kit, in the end you will probably end up saving by selecting this.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:57 PM
"Go Big or Go Home"

anyone have the p/n for the 05 tl a spec-suspension for manuals? can't find it anywhere
Old 12-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Red Voodoo
I would like to drive a car with the A-spec suspension just to compare it with my own set-up. Maybe that would explain to me all of the hoopla surrounding it. I know it's OEM equipment, but with the right aftermarket set-up, I'm sure something can be designed to directly compete, if not surpass, the performance of the A-spec kit. I'm not boo-hooing it... just thinking out loud.
You're more than welcome to drive mine but I'm in central CA. However, I have several other mods so it may not be the comparison you're looking for.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Cruisin'

sorry to revive old thread...

but just ordered '07-'08 ASPEC suspension, not sure of part #, but can get them when pkg arrives.

just got a simple question: will there be any fitment issues using '07-'08 aspecs on my '05 TL 5spd/auto? are they structurally identical?

just wanted to check as i just wanted to find nice performance replacements while most members in here have tried everything under the sun...

sorry for the noob question. pls warn me if they are gonna have trouble fitting as i only have a week to return upon receiving them... which i should get them in tomorrow or so.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 05silverbulleTL

but just ordered '07-'08 ASPEC suspension, not sure of part #, but can get them when pkg arrives.

just got a simple question: will there be any fitment issues using '07-'08 aspecs on my '05 TL 5spd/auto? are they structurally identical?

just wanted to check as i just wanted to find nice performance replacements while most members in here have tried everything under the sun...

sorry for the noob question. pls warn me if they are gonna have trouble fitting as i only have a week to return upon receiving them... which i should get them in tomorrow or so.
Everything is 100% interchangable. Only changes are spring and shock rates and ride height.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:55 PM
"Go Big or Go Home"

Originally Posted by 05silverbulleTL

please post pics after you get it installed, I'd really like to see how much the ride height drops and also, can u please post the p/n once u get everything in? thanks!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Advanced

So if I got an A/T kit and put it on my 6MT, will it be higher in the front? If so, noticeably?