Shuddering noise in front end due to cold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
Shuddering noise in front end due to cold?

As you all know it's been downright cold here in the North East. My 07' TLS has sat for about 4 days & today I started it & let it idle & warm up for 15 minutes & drove about 20 minutes to the store. Once again there was a shuddering noise as I made a left turn at 5 mph coming from the front end, it did the same thing 2 weeks ago too when it was this cold. It sounds like some mechanical component doing something. Also I notice the steering on the car is very tight for a few miles then loosens up, I presume because of the extreme cold? I have no clue what the shuddering sound is but must be cold related. Any thoughts? THANKS
Old 01-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Not really sure what a 'shuttering' noise means, but I'd guess CV Joint. probably need new axles. Does it do it only under load (when accelerating from a stop) or also when off of the accelerator- i.e. rolling through the turn? The car isn't hesitating is it?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
I get it too for first few miles...it's the tires
Once they warm up...smooth as butter
Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Advanced

Received 103 Likes on 26 Posts
Check LCA bushings for tears, they will wander at speed creating a pulsation in the front end. also, I had an axle replaced that cured a vibration at highway speeds. could also be your tires "flat-spotting" from sitting in the frozen cold, as previous member said, this will go away soon after the rubber softens up ie: on highway
Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could it be the power steering issue? I know there was a recall on that but I am not sure if your year TL was affected, just food for thought!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
It did it again today & I have no clue what it is. It goes away after car is warmed up, but did it a few times as I pulled away from a dead stop. I guess the only thing I can do is keep an eye on it at this point.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:45 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having this exact same problem. I bought the car a few days ago and it was... 30-40. Accelerating decently through a turn I could sometimes hear a faint "creaking" noise from the front left and only turning left.

Then when it got down to single digits, I went to drive it and it was wayyyy louder, and I barely had to hit the gas in a corner to hear it.

After the car gets warm it gets way less noticeable. Yesterday I had the front wheels off and everything looked fine except the LCA bushings (compliance bushings) were ripped a bit. The CV boots had no tears, no play in the axle. Ball joints seemed fine. I hit everything with WD40 as well. Same loud noise today..
Old 01-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
I haz this too, only when I accelerate while turning either direction, not while coasting through turn. Please advise.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:28 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Burntz
I am having this exact same problem. I bought the car a few days ago and it was... 30-40. Accelerating decently through a turn I could sometimes hear a faint "creaking" noise from the front left and only turning left.

Then when it got down to single digits, I went to drive it and it was wayyyy louder, and I barely had to hit the gas in a corner to hear it.

After the car gets warm it gets way less noticeable. Yesterday I had the front wheels off and everything looked fine except the LCA bushings (compliance bushings) were ripped a bit. The CV boots had no tears, no play in the axle. Ball joints seemed fine. I hit everything with WD40 as well. Same loud noise today..
Wd40 is rubbers worst enemy, it's a solvent it will dry and crack rubber prematurely

OP i have the same issue, I inspected everything, took the wheels to get balanced, checked the wheel bearings for play, checked all the joints for play and everything is solid and no tearing in any boots, my conclusion was that it's the axles, in my case the passenger side one