Should I be annoyed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Should I be annoyed?

I recently tried to order completw front dampee assemblies from two honda parts stores online only to have my transaction canceled because they were for an Acura and not a Honda. For some reason they are listed as available for purchase on their sites but afterwards I get an email saying they are for Acura and to contact an Acura dealer. At Acura dealers the parts are approx. $150 each whereas they sell for around $90 as listed on tue Honda sites....

Can anyone help me understand this and whether I should he annoyed with Honda/Acura at this point?

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:31 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
try changing the default car from acura to honda..maybe that will work.
websites dont give you the benefit of the doubt that you know your shit. they are more or less for dummies. pick the 08 year, and it will only show 08 info...even tho we know most years are interchangeable.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justnspace
try changing the default car from acura to honda..maybe that will work.
websites dont give you the benefit of the doubt that you know your shit. they are more or less for dummies. pick the 08 year, and it will only show 08 info...even tho we know most years are interchangeable.
The second time I tried I did not provide any vehicle information. I suspect my name is on a sort of blacklist for Honda parts in order to keep me paying Acura prices but it is just a suspicion.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
What parts are you trying to order? And from what vendor? Many part codes are Acura specific...so they don't care what car you claim to have...the part number is an Acura specific part.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
You likely used an email address to make a user profile?

If so...they give out email addresses for free these days. Anyone can get them. You can just use a different email address.

Or maybe just edit your profile.

Or buy from elsewhere.

Or call them and tell them to just over ride the "ban".

I'm sure there are some additional very easy solutions that I am missing.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Was trying to get these ones...

51601-SEP-A31
51602-SEP-A31

There are other part numbers available from the acura sites but they are alittle more expensive than these ones... Both are complete assemblies.... The other ones are:
51601-SEP-A09
51602-SEP-A09

i just want my car to ride good again for a decent price...
Old 11-01-2017, 09:53 PM
Safety Car

I am almost sure Accord and TL front tophats are different.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:18 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
rockauto.com
Old 11-02-2017, 09:02 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Looking at Acura of Peoria's site, that part comes up under Honda and Acura with a big price difference....interesting. I have no idea if the damper assemblies are interchangeable between the TL and Accord.

I was thinking that "SEP" is what is triggering it as an Acura part? Aren't the majority of Acura specific parts labeled as "SEP"? That is what I remember when I was searching for engine mounts. I couldn't pick up any parts that had SEP in them at Honda dealer, but I could anything else.

Last edited by Jackass; 11-02-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Safety Car

Break down the components.

My guesses are that the shocks, springs, and front tophat are actually different parts. Shocks and springs for Acuras are typically stiffer than the Honda counterpart.

Honda and Acura do often share part numbers IF the part is actually the same.

I assume their BOM structure allows for the same part to be placed in seperate packaging (Acura vs Honda labels on the plastic bag that the parts come in). I think they can do this without changing the part number for the actual part...again...assuming the part itself is 100% the same.

"the same" in layman's terms is NOT "the same" in engineering terms.

'The same' in Layman's terms:
"Like...you know....about the same. Whatever. They look the same. ZERO problems."

'The same' in Engineering terms:
"Exactly the fu#&ing same, within the given tolerances. No mercy."

Last edited by BROlando; 11-02-2017 at 10:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jackass
Looking at Acura of Peoria's site, that part comes up under Honda and Acura with a big price difference....interesting. I have no idea if the damper assemblies are interchangeable between the TL and Accord.

I was thinking that "SEP" is what is triggering it as an Acura part? Aren't the majority of Acura specific parts labeled as "SEP"? That is what I remember when I was searching for engine mounts. I couldn't pick up any parts that had SEP in them at Honda dealer, but I could anything else.

How does someone define interchangeability?

Like...under what criteria? Just that it bolts up?
Old 11-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,576 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Originally Posted by BROlando
How does someone define interchangeability?

Like...under what criteria? Just that it bolts up?

laymen 'someone''s typically think that's good enough for them. And it might be for the OP as well, who knows
Old 11-02-2017, 12:37 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thoiboi

laymen 'someone''s typically think that's good enough for them. And it might be for the OP as well, who knows
That's reasonable. You define your own acceptable interchange criteria.

But, there's a myth that the parts are actually THE same...and further than that...Acura is out to make money by charging more for THE same parts.

It would be insanely complex at a mass production level (and possibly illegal) to have 2 of the truly same parts listed as different part numbers.

Cost to seperate the inventory would likely trump the profits gained by doing this.

This is my passive agressive way of encouraging people to at least attempt to find out WHY the parts are listed as different part numbers.

There's an easy explanation for cost difference. There are likely more cars (worldwide) using the HONDA part number.

Someone decided that ACURA should have different components. For some legitimate reason.

The amount of work and testing involved in changing part numbers and designing a seperate part on a car is immense. And its done for the benefit of the design.

The TL was likely deemed to need a different type of shock/spring or some other assembly part. For a significant enough reason to go through the trouble of changing part numbers.

I wouldn't simply assume "yeah, all the same cuz it looks similar".

Also...if close enough is good enough, then why even be so adament about buying from Honda? Buy an aftermarket part that's used across multiple chassis' with the "close enough good enough" build mantra.

Last edited by BROlando; 11-02-2017 at 12:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
thoiboi (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

I ordered the cheap assemblies available on rockauto. I doubt they are oem quality, which is why I would have preferred oem parts. Will see i guess.

Paid 150 cdn or something for both assemblies... FCI I think were the names.... Hopefully the ride is similar to oem. I dont want any drop as I think thats dumb and would not work around here anyway unless I wanted to constantly be breaking my under parts.

Last edited by stevemk07; 11-03-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stevemk07
I ordered the cheap assemblies available on rockauto. I doubt they are oem quality, which is why I would have preferred oem parts. Will see i guess.

Paid 150 cdn or something for both assemblies... FCI I think were the names.... Hopefully the ride is similar to oem. I dont want any drop as I think thats dumb and would not work around here anyway unless I wanted to constantly be breaking my under parts.
I doubt they will be OEM quality, unfortunately.

I'm guessing you wanted full, bolt in factory height assemblies? Unfortunately, there aren't too many of those options for the TL unless you buy from Acura.