Shocks and Struts

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Shocks and Struts

What is the average mileage can I expect from the stock shocks/struts? Car has 55,000 miles and I bought it about 2000 miles ago so I have no idea how the 1st owner drove it. If the interior and exterior are any indication then he babied it. Right now car feels great.

I also bought an extended warranty (Acura Care) and does it cover shocks? I kind of doubt it but just asking.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:34 PM
2007 TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
depends on many factors. You should be able to tell when they are no longer effective. Found this on the net...give it a try

One way to determine whether your shocks need replacing is to do this simple test:

1. Grab hold of the corner of your vehicle's bumper.

2. Push down on it as hard as you can.

3. Observe: the bumper should have dropped down, jumped back up and gone down again once. If it continually moves, then that particular shock is no longer effective. Repeat the test on the remaining three corners of your vehicle.

Other telltale signs of shock wear can be observed through leakage [although a leak is not always indicative of wear] and by observing tire wear patterns. Finally, if you are simply experiencing motion sickness every time you go for a ride, then that can be the best indicator that your shocks or struts need replacing.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
My 06 TL now has 88K miles on it. I changed the shocks at a little over 50K miles. The reason was the cars handling seemed to be getting more sloppy and didn't feel tight like it did before. Alot of people say the shocks are good till they leak. I don't agree. Although they technically can be used, try driving a car with 150k miles on the shocks and tell me how the car handles. If your a person who's into driving you will want to replace them after about 50K miles. If your roads are smooth you may go further on them, but I noticed a difference when I replaced them.And they passed the push test

Last edited by lowgrowl; 04-30-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDanger
depends on many factors. You should be able to tell when they are no longer effective. Found this on the net...give it a try

One way to determine whether your shocks need replacing is to do this simple test:

1. Grab hold of the corner of your vehicle's bumper.

2. Push down on it as hard as you can.

3. Observe: the bumper should have dropped down, jumped back up and gone down again once. If it continually moves, then that particular shock is no longer effective. Repeat the test on the remaining three corners of your vehicle.

Other telltale signs of shock wear can be observed through leakage [although a leak is not always indicative of wear] and by observing tire wear patterns. Finally, if you are simply experiencing motion sickness every time you go for a ride, then that can be the best indicator that your shocks or struts need replacing.
That test is more geared toward a 60's vintage car. For something on the sporty side, the car should dip down when you press on it and return to it's resting position. No additional bouncing is allowed. The Tl is already pretty stiff, it's hard by hand to get it to bounce at all.