Shock/Struts full assembly - Steering and Suspension issue.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 12:10 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shock/Struts full assembly - Steering and Suspension issue.

Hey folks,

I purchased an 05 TL Base a few months ago. I have noticed a significant difference in ride quality. Upon inspections after performing an oil change I noticed that the left ball joint does need to be replaced. Also, I noticed that the car does somewhat of a nose dive when braking. I researched it and looks like the struts/shocks need replacement. On the carfax it doesn't list when it was performed so I don't trust when it was done.

I had an alignment performed and they said the ball joint didn't need replacement (even though it has grease coming out of it....) They said everything was "nice and tight" I'm not sure what to do because I still get a hard left pull and sometimes a right pull. Also, when I go over bumps the steering wheel moves a bit its not smooth like other TLs I have driven.

Sway bar links, Tie rods, CV Axle all check out. This is the last thing I can think of. Any where to get a full a-spec shock assembly including the coil spring?
Old 12-02-2015, 01:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Ban83
Hey folks,

I purchased an 05 TL Base a few months ago. I have noticed a significant difference in ride quality. Upon inspections after performing an oil change I noticed that the left ball joint does need to be replaced. Also, I noticed that the car does somewhat of a nose dive when braking. I researched it and looks like the struts/shocks need replacement. On the carfax it doesn't list when it was performed so I don't trust when it was done.

I had an alignment performed and they said the ball joint didn't need replacement (even though it has grease coming out of it....) They said everything was "nice and tight" I'm not sure what to do because I still get a hard left pull and sometimes a right pull. Also, when I go over bumps the steering wheel moves a bit its not smooth like other TLs I have driven.

Sway bar links, Tie rods, CV Axle all check out. This is the last thing I can think of. Any where to get a full a-spec shock assembly including the coil spring?
Sounds like you need new shocks! That ball joint is a disaster waiting to happen! If it fails the wheel will go through the fender! Buy an OEM ball joint from Acura/Honda. There have been reports of the wrong size threads used on aftermarket ones causing repeated failures.

Also, the lower front control arms have rubber bushings that tend to fail. Those should be replaced with the shocks.

I'm not sure if you can buy the A-Spec suspension anymore. Koni makes a great replacement shock for our cars.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
anytime you see ball joint boot rip/tear replace them right away. Your struts most likely shot and the car some what ridding on the spring only.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:07 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by truonghthe
anytime you see ball joint boot rip/tear replace them right away. Your struts most likely shot and the car some what ridding on the spring only.
That's what my guts told me being told otherwise by 2-3 people left me and one of my buddy's second guessing ourselves. Looks like I have some work to do. I already have the ball joints ordered as I am going to do the driver side which needs replacement gonna do the passengers side as well. After all shocks and ball joints are going to require an alignment anyway.

I can't seem to find a shock assembly WITH a coil though as I do not want to rent a coil compression tool nor do I feel safe as it would be my first time and with quotes in the 500-700 dollar range for JUST the front shocks that includes alignment just seems a bit steep then again you pay a bit for labor.

I kept reading how well the A-spec shocks are which is why I was after them.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
^^^who said so? is your car MT or AT?

FRONT
Acura Parts @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Delray Acura

REAR
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

Number 2&3 is what you need and that is for front and number 6 for rear, THIS IS FOR A AT TL.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:29 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by truonghthe
^^^who said so? is your car MT or AT?

FRONT

REAR

Number 2&3 is what you need and that is for front and number 6 for rear, THIS IS FOR A AT TL.

It is a AT TL. Thank you very much!! Now to get the money together for the fronts first then then rears.

The more I own this vehicle and ask questions on this board the more I learn and feel very appreciative of this community. I've wanted one for a long time and so I want it taken care of as well