Second alignment @ 8500 miles, car pulls right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 12:54 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second alignment @ 8500 miles, car pulls right?

I just had the second alignment performed on my car this weekend with 8450 miles on it. After I got it back, I noticed something odd (which may or may not have been there originally, but I paid more attention to it now after the alignment).

(The first alignment I had done was because I had the off-center steering wheel problem. The tech had me line up the steering wheel until it was perfectly straight, locked down the steering wheel, and then performed the 4 wheel alignment. That took care of it).

In any case, here's my current observation, and I wanted to get some feedback as to whether it was normal or not.

If I hold my steering wheel straight, the car drives straight. However, as soon as I let go, the steering wheel tends to turn slightly to the right maybe 2 degrees and starts to drift right. Is this because of my directional summer tires? I know those tires tend to follow the grooves and nuances in the road a lot more than all seasons, but I don't think I noticed this before.

To reiterate, if I want to go straight, I just hold the wheel straight, and it drives fine. As soon as I let go it usually turns to the right a bit and then tracks right. Is this normal?
Old 09-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
could be tire sensitivity to the small imperfections in the road, best way to tell if your alignment is off is if you have uneven tread wear on your tires
Old 09-07-2004, 01:07 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I guess I'm also concerned about whether the steering wheel is off-center or not. I don't think it is since I'm able to drive straight when the steering wheel is pointed straight, but I just want to make sure.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:47 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lore I think you have uneven tread. If you have recently rotated, you might see that the car is pulling in one direction. Keep an eye on it, it should go away after even tread. If not alignment needs to be looked at.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:52 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I haven't rotated since 4700 miles, so I don't think it's a result of uneven tread. I also check my air pressure every few weeks and always fill it to the manufacturer recommended 39/36 (F/R) for the 18" wheels that I have.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Racer

Most roads are slightly graded to the right for water runoff purposes. On the highway, the left lane is usually graded left. See if your car still drifts rightwhen you're in the left lane of the highway or if it drifts left. If you drift left, don't worry...you're perfectly aligned.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:10 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

On the left-most lane the car's steering wheel still turns slightly right, albeit not so severely as if I was in the middle or right lane.

The thing that just confuses me is if I'm holding the wheel straight it'll go straight, just when I let go the tires seem to guide the steering wheel right.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Lore, I have the same problem and we've only got 1700 miles on ours. Took the car in to check it out about 3 weeks ago and they blamed it on uneven pressure between the tires. So they adjusted the tire pressure and it seemed ok, but the pulling to the right is back. And yes, it only happens when you let go of the wheel and doesn't matter at which speed or which lane you're in...strange!
Old 09-08-2004, 04:46 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by sepatel
Lore, I have the same problem and we've only got 1700 miles on ours. Took the car in to check it out about 3 weeks ago and they blamed it on uneven pressure between the tires. So they adjusted the tire pressure and it seemed ok, but the pulling to the right is back. And yes, it only happens when you let go of the wheel and doesn't matter at which speed or which lane you're in...strange!
Is your alignment okay though? What sort of tires do you have?