Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
any updates on the ms cashback?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
It's the bottom locking perch that comes loose. I had that problem with megans on my RSX initially. Had to continue to retighten them every month to get rid of the "popping" noise when I would turn. It stopped eventually when I used a wooden mallet to mash the lockring key tight. Other issue I had recently is that I put the car back to stock and couldn't lower one of the rear ones. Even taken off the car with all my strength (230 pound guy). Ended up having to cut pressure relief cuts in the bottom part to get it to move. Seems the metals fused together. Maybe inferior metal?! I emailed megan about replacing the part, even paying for it, with no response. They were pretty good coils...and for 1 finger gap all around it was pretty smooth unless I hit serious potholes. I decided a while ago that my next set up would be tein...so I ordered some for my TL and we'll see how that goes.

Just my own experience.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:00 AM

Is anyone using the pillowball mounts to adjust the camber? I currently have -2.5 rear and would like to know if that would adjust it enough to bring it to -1.5?

Also, how harsh is the ride for the TL application? When set to soft how does it compare to stock? The megans offer A LOT for the price. Preload separate from height adjustment, pillowball and monotube design.

Thank you.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think the pillowballs are offered with our coilovers. This was one of the things I researched before buying mine, and I could not find where Megans for TLs had pillowball mounts in the top hat.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:03 AM

Thanks for that man...I think I'm going to stick with the TEIN's...they ride so comfy for being as low as I have them. When I get the new ones, hopefully I won't have any other issues. I had the megans on my rsx and even with front camber adjustment, it never worked right, or I didn't know how to do it. I do know i made my TOE much worse when I messed with it. Lol.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
It's the bottom locking perch that comes loose. I had that problem with megans on my RSX initially. Had to continue to retighten them every month to get rid of the "popping" noise when I would turn. It stopped eventually when I used a wooden mallet to mash the lockring key tight. Other issue I had recently is that I put the car back to stock and couldn't lower one of the rear ones. Even taken off the car with all my strength (230 pound guy). Ended up having to cut pressure relief cuts in the bottom part to get it to move. Seems the metals fused together. Maybe inferior metal?! I emailed megan about replacing the part, even paying for it, with no response. They were pretty good coils...and for 1 finger gap all around it was pretty smooth unless I hit serious potholes. I decided a while ago that my next set up would be tein...so I ordered some for my TL and we'll see how that goes.

Just my own experience.
Was this just a problem with maybe the model of coilover you had? I noticed you said RSX. Anyone else experience this on the coilovers for the TL? I'm really thinking changing my setup. I got Tein Basics right now, and they squeak like a mofo! And they are bouncy. And to tell you the truth they feel 'soft'... still tons of body roll. I'd settle for a firmer ride. And It seems that they do come with the Pillow Ball Uppers don't they?
Old 02-21-2009, 09:31 PM

Could be...it was also a few years ago so maybe the design is better now. DEFINITELY a stiffer ride, but I'm guessing that's the spring rate. Even at soft it's pretty hard. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I'm going into the TL looking for a nice comfy ride that doesn't have wheel gap. Handling is greatly improved in my opinion.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Received 300 Likes on 142 Posts
Great review but where are the pictures? =)
Old 02-26-2009, 09:32 PM
jjj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EL BAN
Great review but where are the pictures? =)
Old 03-12-2009, 02:49 PM
KoolKatz..

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow just recieved these Megan coilovers 3/12/2009, my impression is WOW! Its looks REALLLLY BEEFY, build quality looks top notch, came with pillow ball tophats etc. Well worth the $900 I've spent on it, and it looks alot better than the Tein SS, I don't race nor track my car so the EDFC is okay to go without I don't mind manually adjusting it. As for the install, should take me 4hours pending my probation officer(wife) to leave the house for her shopping. Lol
I really hope this helps with my steering vibration >50mph. Also will post pixs up later when she is lower.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:30 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
^^dude take care of your vibration problem before you install the coils. it is most likely that your wheels are out of balance so take them to get balanced at a tire shop that uses hunter machines. when your steering wheel vibrates it's most likely the front 2 wheels. otherwise it will still vibrate after you install the megans unless the problem was that your old suspension was out of whack.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:38 PM
KoolKatz..

Originally Posted by wasupdog
^^dude take care of your vibration problem before you install the coils. it is most likely that your wheels are out of balance so take them to get balanced at a tire shop that uses hunter machines. when your steering wheel vibrates it's most likely the front 2 wheels. otherwise it will still vibrate after you install the megans unless the problem was that your old suspension was out of whack.
Thanks for the info but so far i've done, 3 tires balances, alignment, like new falken 452 tires all around and change the rear to fronts, I bought those hubcentric caps from ol'boy here on acurazine and all don't do shyyyat, still vibrates >50mph. I've read around and heard bad/blown shocks can be culprit. So instead of replace I've upgraded.

{Eluzion}{HELP!} What settings do you have on your coilovers? I installed all four shocks and its tooooooooooo LOW! My setting is F20/R21 and I almost MAXed it out by adjusting all the coils to the top of perch.
I am wanting 2finger gaps from tire to car but as of now I'm really tucked like covering rims! I wanna see some tires. I can't get out of my drive way at all almost ripped off my aspec lip lol. I stuck , shyt I've been on it for 6hours. Can you show me a pix of your ride height and how you got it there? Mines too low...SHIT SHIT SHIT I've shoud of left it STOCK.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Sounds like you need to adjust the lower bracket.

The extra features are great but you need to know how to adjust properly.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Sounds like you need to adjust the lower bracket.

The extra features are great but you need to know how to adjust properly.
Amen to that.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:02 PM
KoolKatz..

Thanks...figured it out, haven't worked on coilover >12years my bad. LOL
Old 03-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Racer

Sorry guys, I lost my web host I had those pictures on. Here is how my car sits on the coilovers. I haven't touched them since I installed them.

It's been about 7 months that I've had them in with zero problems. The roads down here in Mississippi are crap and I've hit my fair share of pot holes (slightly curbed one of my wheels). I'm still riding on a 22 front, 23 rear damper setting and haven't had to touch the height adjustment (no sagging). While I was changing my oil last week I had the car on the lift so I did a quick visual inspection of the coilovers and everything looks good visually. I'm still satisfied with the purchase and would continue to recommend them to anyone looking for coilovers.

Last edited by eluzion; 03-26-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:20 PM
KoolKatz..

Nice ride mang..are those 19"? 22f 23r.....I had it like your setup but it's squishy feelin, currently have it on...15f 16r.....just alittle toooo stiff but hell I'm lazy, I'mma try 19f 20r after my back stop hurting. lol thanks for posting the sexx machine.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Racer

Yeah, 19's (5Zigen SC3000's). 22f 23r is definitely on the soft side but I was really shooting for a setting just slightly more aggressive than stock. I'm not auto crossing this car or anything so I don't see the point riding around with stiff ass suspension. I think 19f 20r would be a good setting though. It's a hassle to adjust though.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Advanced

man all u guys got good deals on the megans i had to wait 3 months in order to receive them and they came all the way from japan....but i love these coilovers the car got a much better handling on turns now and the damper settings are amazing and overall the car looks great on these coilovers......
Old 03-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Etohprn247
Wow just recieved these Megan coilovers 3/12/2009, my impression is WOW! Its looks REALLLLY BEEFY, build quality looks top notch, came with pillow ball tophats etc. Well worth the $900 I've spent on it, and it looks alot better than the Tein SS, I don't race nor track my car so the EDFC is okay to go without I don't mind manually adjusting it. As for the install, should take me 4hours pending my probation officer(wife) to leave the house for her shopping. Lol
I really hope this helps with my steering vibration >50mph. Also will post pixs up later when she is lower.
I could not find anywhere about the TL coilovers having pillowball mounts... and when I bought mine, it did NOT have an adjustment in the top hat. I'm calling you out on this. Post a pic of your top hats on the front coilovers. Otherwise, I don't believe this statement is true.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Burning Brakes

^ Hmm.. now that you mention it you're right. I havcen't seen any Pillow Upper mounts for the TL app. But I could be wrong though. So... I got Tein Basics right now. Should I switch to Megans?
Old 03-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Advanced

what do u guys mean by pillowball hats? sorry if thats a nob question
Old 03-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Burning Brakes

The top hats that sit on top of the spring and strut and also bolt up to your car... shit I don't know how to describe it... The OEM parts on the upper part of the OEM suspension that you may have reused
Old 03-30-2009, 09:24 AM

pillowball mounts are an option for the megans...although I don't believe it's for the TL application.

Tophat assembly is the top part of the stock assembly that must be reused if you install TEIN and a few other coilover assemblies. Megans don't reuse them.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

^ Megan's don't reuse them? So they DO come with the upper mounts? Or am I confusing parts here?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:50 PM
KoolKatz..

Originally Posted by Trew
I could not find anywhere about the TL coilovers having pillowball mounts... and when I bought mine, it did NOT have an adjustment in the top hat. I'm calling you out on this. Post a pic of your top hats on the front coilovers. Otherwise, I don't believe this statement is true.
Sorry I might be mistaken? I receive EVERYTHING like in the picuture I'm posting...I didn't have to remove ANYTHING from my stocks, (plug and play) basically...I just mention what was in the instruction etc. Once I installed the top portion for testing the whole coilover allowed my to pivot left and right in and out, hey if they dont come with pillow/top hats etc. beats me then..
Old 03-30-2009, 03:51 PM
KoolKatz..

trying to post image...

Last edited by Etohprn247; 03-30-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: na
Old 03-30-2009, 03:56 PM
KoolKatz..

Name:  DriftSpecCoiloverPillowMount.jpg
Views: 1885
Size:  38.6 KB

The top of MY coilovers look like these!!! (except mine are reddish like in previous pixs) Are these called pillowball? This is not my area of specialty so please correct me for personal reference.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:22 PM

Ok...the pic above is with the tophat included, which is the way the megans are. They are the complete assembly so you can just plug and play.

Teins and a few others require you to transfer the stock upper portion of the assembly (tophat).

Some applications of the megans and other are pillowball mount which means that you can adjust things like camber using the top of the assembly. Basically, it's a ball that pivots into the tophat and can move around. This allows changes to be made but also makes for a harsher ride. I am pretty sure I'm right about all this. If I'm not, feel free to correct me.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:39 PM
KoolKatz..

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Ok...the pic above is with the tophat included, which is the way the megans are. They are the complete assembly so you can just plug and play.

Teins and a few others require you to transfer the stock upper portion of the assembly (tophat).

Some applications of the megans and other are pillowball mount which means that you can adjust things like camber using the top of the assembly. Basically, it's a ball that pivots into the tophat and can move around. This allows changes to be made but also makes for a harsher ride. I am pretty sure I'm right about all this. If I'm not, feel free to correct me.
So I do have the pillowball setup yeah? Mine is similar to the pix in purple it has the 3 big bolts for attachment to car and 3 more bolts for the stock strut bar and 4 allen wrench sockets with them (mm) adjustments just like the pix. I'm confused how come some of yallz didn't get the pillowball setup with megans? I got it becuz I don't wanna reuse the stock tophats just incase I wanna trade in car easy to switch back.

My opinion is Megans>TeinsBasic , Megans<Teins SS only because of EDFC...

it can be too soft or too stiff, I have mine purdy stiff and I don't get any noise or squeaks......yet. so far 500miles of giggles.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:52 AM

The four allen bolts are for camber adjustment but I don't think that means it has the pillowball mount. I am pretty sure there are no pillowball mount for our application. At least that's what I was told.

I would say for ease of install...
Megan is better because you just swap out without the need for a spring compressor (or the need to redo everything 3 times because you forgot to transfer this or that washer and put this part upside down or didn't put that on altogether...don't ask how I know this).

As far as build quality and ride...I have to say Tein wins, to me.

And I'm not saying that just because I only bought Tein. I had the megans previously and was not impressed with the build quality or design once I got the Tein and could compare. Little things that made me feel that way...
1. I know it's nice to set preload and set height independently, but since I could never tell how far "in" the threads were into the bottom I had a hard time setting everything even. Tein keeps it simple and you just have one perch to move for height adjustment. It DOES affect preload but doesn't seem to make much of a difference in ride harshness.
2. This might seem stupid but the threading on the megans is thinner so you have to turn the perches and locking perches a LOT more times than with the tein to adjust height.
3. Megan has thin rinky dink spanner wrenches...I bent them and hurt my hands all the time when adjusting height. The teins are thick and good quality and have holes in them for using leverage tools etc (at least I assume that's what it's for.
4. After being on the car without adjustment for a year the bottom perch of one of the rear ones kind of fused the metals together. I took it off the car, used liquid wrench and even with ALL my strength it wouldn't budge. I ended up having to get out a cutting wheel and putting a couple of relief cuts in the metal to get it to lower. NOT my idea of a good time.
5. Call me crazy but I never really FELT much of a difference between the 1 setting and the 32 setting for stiffness. Maybe it was in my head, but on the TEIN, I definitely feel a difference, even between 2 or 3 clicks. The megans were stiff on the soft setting and a bit stiffer on the stiff setting.
6. That being said, the megans made so my rsx was a cornering machine. I'm sure this has to do with spring rates. As I get older, and have transitioned to a TL though, I'll sacrifice some cornering ability for comfort (i.e. not getting out of the car holding my lower back in agony, and not having people wonder why my luxury sports sedan drives like crap when I hit bumps).

That's all. That is my 2 cents for anyone considering purchasing coilovers. I'm not bashing megans...I had bought them in 2005 so maybe they've improved build quality since then, although the pictures seem identical to what I bought 4 years ago. Again, I have HAD them and now have tein so I would say it's a fair unbiased analysis. Definitely not knocking all you guys out there with the megans.

Last edited by rockstar143; 04-01-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:18 PM
KoolKatz..

This is the lowest I can go or else I'm stuck in driveway lol. These coilovers tucks to RIMS...but I'll be able to get out driveway.

Last edited by Etohprn247; 04-02-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: na
Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 PM
KoolKatz..

Originally Posted by eluzion
Sorry guys, I lost my web host I had those pictures on. Here is how my car sits on the coilovers. I haven't touched them since I installed them.

It's been about 7 months that I've had them in with zero problems. The roads down here in Mississippi are crap and I've hit my fair share of pot holes (slightly curbed one of my wheels). I'm still riding on a 22 front, 23 rear damper setting and haven't had to touch the height adjustment (no sagging). While I was changing my oil last week I had the car on the lift so I did a quick visual inspection of the coilovers and everything looks good visually. I'm still satisfied with the purchase and would continue to recommend them to anyone looking for coilovers.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Instructor

what are those? 19's? ... i have a set of 19s and i decided to go with the megans too.. hope i wont be disappointed.. i primarily strictly street..and my roads here are good.

anyhow i got them for 800 shipped off ebay so i cant complain too much.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 AM

yeah...for what they bring...800 bucks shipped is a steal. my two cents were definitely not leaning toward not want to deal with megan again...I would...I'm just a bit happier with my Tein.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey ... what's the mileage you guys have on your Megans? Any noise like ROckstar experienced? I have about 30k miles on my Tein Coilovers... how long are these things supposed to last?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Drifting

I got about 3k on mine. Don't have any issues at all. They are holding up very well. I'm sure you will get at least 60k out of them.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 AM

Had 65K on my megans and they were still running fine. Have 3K on the Tein's and they're fine too.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Cruisin'

getting my megans this firday and installing them this saturday bright and early so i'll keep updates
Old 08-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Stickr Mstr

I'd like to share some photos. Just bought these =D

Quick Reply: Review - Megan Racing Full Coilovers