Replica TL-S wheels....a few months later

Old 04-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
^^^ +1. I noticed my 06 auto's acceleration was a bit slower after I threw on my type-s reps. I didn't think my TL could get any slower. I was wrong lol. These reps are HEAVY. Save your $ and refinish your OEM type-s wheels or look into getting some light weight aftermarket 18's.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:24 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
The car being slower is def in your head
They are not heavier I had the Type S reps and oem wheels in storage at the same time and they are the same weight. both too heavy to be 17" wheels.
my 19" wheels weight 1lbs less.
I did get a great deal when I ordered these wheels cause the seller sent me 6 by mistake . I do wish they made them a shade lighter I think they are a little too dark
Old 04-15-2016, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Looks like these reps are back on ebay. These are the ones from tobacco road. The exact same ones I have. Here is a link: 17" 17x8 Type s Style Alloy Wheels Rims for 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 Acura TL | eBay

And here is what they will look like

Old 04-20-2016, 11:54 AM
2004 NBP TL 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Does anyone know if these Ebay TL Type S replica rims 17x8 clear the TL 6MT brembo front calipers?

Please PM or post photos if you have some showing this.

Thank you. I'm currently looking for a 2nd set of rims for my 04 TL 6MT.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:59 AM
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts
If they are the same offsets and sizes then yes.. 17x8 +45
Old 04-20-2016, 01:33 PM
2004 NBP TL 6MT

Originally Posted by mvp2765
If they are the same offsets and sizes then yes.. 17x8 +45
Well, one would think to agree with you. However, I recently ordered other TL replica rims and they advertised and stamped on rim with factory specifications you mentioned and interfered with my front Brembo calipers.

I want personal experience with the product on Brembo calipers please.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaFan81
Well, one would think to agree with you. However, I recently ordered other TL replica rims and they advertised and stamped on rim with factory specifications you mentioned and interfered with my front Brembo calipers.

I want personal experience with the product on Brembo calipers please.
then they aren't +45 offset!
Old 04-20-2016, 05:45 PM
2004 NBP TL 6MT

Yes, I agree with you.

However, it doesn't fix the fact it was advertised online and stamped on rim as 45mm offset. Exactly why I want personal experience with this particular product to verify someone with brembos has no interference issues. To be more clear, even if they are 45mm offset at the hub, my issue was not at the hub, but backface of the spokes that rubbed the caliper. They were 04-06 TL fat-five spoke rim style replicas.

Last edited by HondaFan81; 04-20-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:14 AM
2004 NBP TL 6MT

Ended up purchasing these Type S replica rims and they DO clear factory Brembo front calipers by about the same factory clearance as my stock 5-spoke rims. I have a 2004 TL 6MT.

I purchased these Type S rims from the same mentioned Ebay seller. The previous replacement 5-spoke silver rims I purchased from Wheels & Caps, that did NOT clear my Brembos and most likely will work on automatics. What is interesting is that both sellers are the same source and Ebay seller is cheaper.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Did anyone actually weigh the replica's vs the OEM's? I read a bunch of talk about it in this thread about people saying they were going to do it but no one did. Anyone know the exact weight difference?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
I have 3 original (base model) wheels and one replica. The replica is about 3mm or so closer to the caliper because the spokes are fatter.

I use the (Acura genuine) waffles for summer with summer tyres.

My application is a TSX with Advics 4 piston brakes...so I cannot use the replica wheel on the front because you can only barely get fingernail between the wheel and caliper. But I imagine they'd be OK with the skinnier Brembos.

My replica weighs a LOT more than my originals.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Well that is some new info about the replicas having a fatter spoke. I also learned the factory TL-S wheels are made by Enkei too.

I researched via google even some more and it is funny because the people that have been posting the weight are weighing it with the tire mounted. Tires sizes,the wear on the tire, the model of the tire, and the air pressure in the tire will effect the weight and can vary crazy.

But so far I have read that the stock 07-08 Acura 17x8 wheel weighs between 22-26lbs. One guy posted saying he messaged a seller of the reproduction TL-S wheel and it weighs 29lbs.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

I can weigh mine...with the same brand of tyre, and same tread wear. unfortunately, its still not clinical, as each tyre may have small differences in weights due to manufacturing tolerances.

Plus they have different amount of wheel weights and road crud on them, if we're getting down to brass tacks.

2-4LB differences in a 17" aluminum wheel is quite large. Aluminum weighs like 0.098ish LB per cu.in.

A 4LB block of aluminum is roughly 40cu.in. Imagine it as a block thats 1" wide X 5" high X 8" long. That's a lot of GD aluminum.

Last edited by BROlando; 03-10-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:15 PM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by 4drturbo
But so far I have read that the stock 07-08 Acura 17x8 wheel weighs between 22-26lbs.
Damn, that's impossibly heavy. My Lotus Cup 240R 17 x 8 wheel weighs just 13 lbs!

Lotus 240R CUP 6
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Old 03-11-2017, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VisualEchos
Damn, that's impossibly heavy. My Lotus Cup 240R 17 x 8 wheel weighs just 13 lbs!
"Impossibly heavy" I don't think so for a car that weighs over 3600lbs. Your 4 lug sports car that was built to be lightweight of course will have super lightweight wheels. Thanks for contributing and going off topic. /sarcasm.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Andrew

"Impossibly heavy" I don't think so for a car that weighs over 3600lbs. Your 4 lug sports car that was built to be lightweight of course will have super lightweight wheels. Thanks for contributing and going off topic. /sarcasm.
Doesn't matter what the weight of the car is, 22-26 lbs is terrible. Unsprung weight is always important, and if you're putting special wheels on a car as an addition to a package that has an obvious sporty nature, why have such a heavy wheel? No reason these wheels couldn't be forged and 18 lbs, other than the Type-S isn't really a sporty car, it's just made to look like one.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Safety Car

Doesn't matter what the weight of the car is, 22-26 lbs is terrible. Unsprung weight is always important, and if you're putting special wheels on a car as an addition to a package that has an obvious sporty nature, why have such a heavy wheel? No reason these wheels couldn't be forged and 18 lbs, other than the Type-S isn't really a sporty car, it's just made to look like one.

Lol...well...there's a big difference in price between forged and cast wheels.

Lots of sports/sporty cars come with cast wheels. Why would the added cost of a forged wheel benefit a car like the TL in enough of a way to justify cost?

Is your bombshell claim that the TL isn't as focused as a Lotus?! :gasp:
Old 03-11-2017, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Well according to Honda Acura it wasn't so terrible. You should look up similar cars in the same class and their factory wheels. Hell look at the small VW MK4 GTI, the 20th Anv's had 18'' wheels that were a whopping 32lbs each. Yes a lightweight wheel is nice to have and does help in a car that is raced regularly. But it wasn't on Honda Acuras mind to mass produce a 15lb~ 17x8 wheel for a factory 4 door luxury vehicle that most came equipped with an automatic transmission.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:47 AM
Andrew

Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
Is your bombshell claim that the TL isn't as focused as a Lotus?! :gasp:
No, I just feel like that a sport-version of a current car should have lighter wheels.

Well according to Honda Acura it wasn't so terrible. You should look up similar cars in the same class and their factory wheels. Hell look at the small VW MK4 GTI, the 20th Anv's had 18'' wheels that were a whopping 32lbs each. Yes a lightweight wheel is nice to have and does help in a car that is raced regularly. But it wasn't on Honda Acuras mind to mass produce a 15lb~ 17x8 wheel for a factory 4 door luxury vehicle that most came equipped with an automatic transmission.
OK, a couple of things here. No disrespect, but you are preaching to the choir, and have a few things very twisted.

First, I don't care about VW, I'm talking about Acura. A 32 lb wheel on such a small car would be absolute stupidity.

Second, Acura doesn't make wheels, they are all contracted out. The difference in weight comes in the process of making the wheel, like the specific type of casting or forging, and style of the wheel (the amount of material). I'll give it to you that there is no need for a 17 lb forged wheel on an Acura TL, but I'm certain a flow-formed cast wheel would have been a negligible cost increase, but would have given the car a much better steering feel, increasing the sporty nature of the car. Or even better, they could have kept the same feel and increased the front camber, which would have produced better numbers. Either way, lighter wheels are not only for racing. In fact, many forged racing wheels are heavier than their forged street counterparts because they are made stronger to endure the rigors of racing. My Lotus forged Cup 240R wheels are this way, compared to my OEM forged LSS wheels.

I'm not going to continue arguing with either of you, I realize there isn't an outright need for a light wheel on the standard TL, but given the sporty nature of the TL-S, and in fact the company itself, I feel like the wheels should have been lighter.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Acura has never used forged wheels, except on the NSX.

nissan/infiniti top trims come with forged wheels, but they also compromise on shit like interior materials that seemingly don't last as long. Why you are criticizing Acura for not putting sport wheels on a non-sport, fwd sedan, and chose to focus on things like the interior lasting longer, is beyond me.

it all comes down to price, which is ultimately handed down to the consumer, at a marked up rate.

Last edited by TacoBello; 03-12-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:02 PM
Safety Car

^seems like a common sense point of view.

He's holding his position and not arguing with us anymore because...???

Maybe he'll debate this with you though.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 01:51 PM
Team Owner

Fortunately, there's nothing to debate. Many manufacturers never use forged wheels, unless they are on their most sportiest offerings. Even then, they only started to become a bit more common place in the last 7-8 years.

The people who even bought the TL-S brand new in 07-08, were predominantly buying a nice sedan, and secondary was its sportiness. If given the option, I'm willing to bet most would opt out of getting forged wheels, if they raised the price of the car by 3,000 bucks (or more).
Old 03-12-2017, 01:57 PM
Andrew

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Acura has never used forged wheels, except on the NSX.
And I never suggested that they use forged wheels in this application. Reading comprehension: you're missing it.

nissan/infiniti top trims come with forged wheels, blah ditty blah blah blah.
Same answer as above.

it all comes down to price, which is ultimately handed down to the consumer, at a marked up rate.
No it doesn't, it comes down to who they made the deal with and for how long. In this case, Enkei.

The people who even bought the TL-S brand new in 07-08, were predominantly buying a nice sedan, and secondary was its sportiness. If given the option, I'm willing to bet most would opt out of getting forged wheels, if they raised the price of the car by 3,000 bucks (or more).
These comments prove you're pretty lost. If they didn't want a sportier car, then why didn't they opt for the base? I'm interested, because, you know, I actually bought my TL new in 2007. Secondly, you're completely lost if you think that forged wheels cost $3000.

Last edited by VisualEchos; 03-12-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:30 PM
Safety Car

I'll be the points keeper here.

Undeniable alternative facts offered for debate:
-Forged wheels don't cost ~$3000.

-Forged or flow formed lightweight wheels DEFINE a more sporty version of a base model. If it doesn't have forged/roll forged wheels, then its just not worth it to upgrade from base. Examples of cars like VW GTi's are NOT useable as a counterpoint to this point.

Good luck, Taco Bello.

Last edited by BROlando; 03-12-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:48 PM
Team Owner

I'm saying 3000 bucks, the cost to the manufacturer. Actually, I just looked up the OEM 19x9.5 and 19x10.5 370z Nismo Rays (fucking huge wheels) and they are just under $2100 US for the set, online, from a Nissan OEM parts site. That's the cost to the consumer. So what does Nissan pay when they mass order these, for the factory? A thousand bucks a set?

yes, the TL-S is obviously the more sporty model, however, most of them were purchased with the meh 5AT, in comparison to the much more "hell yeah" 6MT. I mean, the base 04-06 6MT is as fast as the 07-08 Type S 5AT I think the market spoke for itself as to what it valued more. Yes, there are those of us who would like features like that- myself included- but not everyone is willing to pay for it, so Acura toned it down to the point where people would pay the extra for them.

Acura was also in a position where they wanted to keep 3G TL sales up as much as they could, since it started out really strong. The car was a hit in its early years and Acura wanted to exploit it some more. Hence they build a car for the masses, where the average person didn't want a true race car whatsoever. It may have only raised the price $500 at the end of the day, but I'm sure their market analysis told them it's not worth it. But then again, you can say that about a lot of things, in a lot of different cars. How often have you said or have you heard someone else say "well if only _______ did this to the ________. Sadly, it just comes down to dollars and cents.

I dont one think it's that far fetched at all. Also, as I said earlier- forged wheels are more common these days also, then they were in 07. Yeah, there were cars that had them. But there's definitely more today, then back then.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Safety Car

Very interesting. I'd like to hear more.

LMK.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:11 PM
Andrew

I'm saying 3000 bucks, the cost to the manufacturer. Actually, I just looked up the OEM 19x9.5 and 19x10.5 370z Nismo Rays (fucking huge wheels) and they are just under $2100 US for the set, online, from a Nissan OEM parts site. That's the cost to the consumer. So what does Nissan pay when they mass order these, for the factory? A thousand bucks a set?
OK, so clearly you have no idea what wheels cost a manufacturer. I have worked for Honda, Mazda, and Hyundai in the past, and was a parts manager for two of them, and I can tell you that wheels cost a manufacturer next to nothing. How do I know this? Because manufacturers never lose money on parts. They may sell them 1% over as the car reaches near the 8-10 year mark (manufacturers are bound by law to produce parts for a vehicle for 10 years after the build MY), but they never lose money.

You know the A-Spec wheels that everyone on this board likes so much? Those wheels cost DEALERS $62 a wheel 1 year ago, I literally have the invoice. What's important about that is not what they cost the dealer, but what they must have cost the manufacturer. I don't know that figure, probably no one knows, but we can guess it's at least under $62.

Back when I worked for Honda I saw this all the time, but a better example might be the BBS wheels that came on my 2005 STi. This was a forged wheel that cost the manufacturer $22 a wheel (it's all over the place in the rally world). What's important about that figure? BBS didn't make nearly the wheels for Subaru that they have for Honda/Acura.

So, in short, you are right that a forged wheel would have probably cost HMC more money, but not in the ballpark you're thinking.

But let me state YET AGAIN that I did not say that Acura should have put a forged wheel on the TL-S, I simply said that 22-26 lbs is very heavy for a wheel on a sporty version of the car, and Acura could have easily put an 18-lb flow-formed cast wheel on the car and made the driving-feel much better. Most guys on this board will never figure this out because they are either stancing the hell out of the car and stretching the tire, or like myself and trying to get that M5 look with a 295 tire...both of which degrade driving feel. It is what it is.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:16 PM
Safety Car

^How much do the aftermarket wheels on your TL weigh?
Old 03-13-2017, 07:41 AM
Andrew

^How much do the aftermarket wheels on your TL weigh?
18 x 9.5 • 22.6 lbs. The tire is 24 lbs as well, so call it 47 lbs for the combo. Quite a difference in feel from the OEM 17's with 235's.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Did anyone actually weigh the replica's vs the OEM's? I read a bunch of talk about it in this thread about people saying they were going to do it but no one did. Anyone know the exact weight difference?
Emailed an Acura seller on eBay acting like I was very interested in a set of new OEM waffle wheels at $1200 for a set + shipping. LOL I asked if he could weigh one and get back with me

Drum roll please.... The factory OEM Acura TL-S wheel weighs 23.139lbs. Sounds legit to me.

I ended up just buying some anthracite metallic touch up paint for $12 to touch up the curb rash from the previous original owner. I also emailed a seller selling the knock offs and to find out how much they weigh which is a supposed 29lbs.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:58 AM
Andrew

Good work getting the correct number. Pretty damn heavy indeed for a 17 x 8 wheel, but you can pretty much tell that by looking at it.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:04 AM
Safety Car

18 x 9.5 • 22.6 lbs. The tire is 24 lbs as well, so call it 47 lbs for the combo. Quite a difference in feel from the OEM 17's with 235's.

So...they weigh roughly as much, or more than, the stock wheel/tyre combo?

Is the unsprung weight unbearable?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Andrew

So...they weigh roughly as much, or more than, the stock wheel/tyre combo?

Is the unsprung weight unbearable?
Much heavier than my stock combo IIRC, though I don't have the numbers in front of me at the moment. I have a base, not at TL-S. The unsprung weight isn't unbearable, though I can certainly feel the difference, but if I wanted the car to have a sportier feel I would have definitely changed to a lighter combo.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Safety Car

I guess I don't quite understand.

You're saying Acura should have used roll forging on the stock wheels to make them lighter...because that improves all kinds of suspension feel and because its a sporty version of the base car.

But you then used a heavier wheels/tyre (combo) than stock, in order to make your car more sporty....or to improve appearance without caring about the negative effects of using heavier rollers?

But...Acura should have made lighter wheels even though you yourself would chuck them anyway in favour of heavier ones?

.....?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:54 AM
Andrew

You're saying Acura should have used roll forging on the stock wheels to make them lighter...because that improves all kinds of suspension feel and because its a sporty version of the base car.
In my opinion they should have used a different, lighter wheel and sportier tire because it would have given the TL-S a better driving feel. I don't think there is a need for a forged wheel on the car, but a flow-formed wheel, sure, the cost difference is probably negligible.

But you then used a heavier wheels/tyre (combo) than stock, in order to improve appearance [of your car] without caring about the negative effects of using heavier rollers?
Correct, I'm not trying to increase the sportiness of my base car, I have a 2.6 mile commute, and prefer ride quality. If I want to drive a sporty car I drive the Lotus.

I don't know how much clearer I can be on this point. In my opinion, when releasing a sportier version of the base TL, Acura could have done some things differently and made the car more fun to drive. One of those things would have been a lighter, and more performance-oriented wheel/tire combo. Yet they did not do this, what they did was add unsprung weight to the TL-S over the base car, which makes exactly no sense whatsoever.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Safety Car

Is there a post I missed that says that the base model wheels are lighter? That. wasn't your original point...

So why did you make yours heavier to make it more fun to drive?

Do you think that maybe Acura looked at their demographic and said "meh, the wheel weight probably doesn't make enough difference to justify costs. lets make other, more effective aspects of the car more sporty"?

You're the one that compared the TL wheel weight to that of your Lotus. We get it. You have a Lotus. Now you're saying that comparison is not relevant because the TL doesn't really need to have all that driving feel. If you needed driving feel, you'd drive your Lotus.

In fact, you say you changed to heavier wheels because the important thing about your TL ride quality (???!?!?)

But Acura shoulda made lighter wheels still tho. To improve performance. Even though its not important. And if you wanted a focused car, you'd buy a Lotus.

Last edited by BROlando; 03-13-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:22 AM
Andrew

Is there a post I missed that says that the base model wheels are lighter? That. wasn't your original point...

So why did you make yours heavier to make it more fun to drive?

Do you think that maybe Acura looked at their demographic and said "meh, the wheel weight probably doesn't make enough difference to justify costs. lets make other, more effective aspects of the car more sporty"?

You're the one that compared the TL wheel weight to that of your Lotus. We get it. You have a Lotus. Now you're saying that comparison is not relevant because the TL doesn't really need to have all that driving feel. If you needed driving feel, you'd drive your Lotus.

In fact, you say you changed to heavier wheels because the important thing about your TL ride quality (???!?!?)

But Acura shoulda made lighter wheels still tho. To improve performance. Even though its not important. And if you wanted a focused car, you'd buy a Lotus.
For a seemingly educated person you really fall short on reading comprehension. I've answered all of these questions clearly, yet you seem to not be reading my responses. What's next, are you going to ask me why I think Acura should have put a forged wheel on the TL-S? Jesus dude, read. Nowhere did I say that I wanted my TL to be more sporty, I said I already have a car for that. In fact, I purchased the BASE TL instead of the TL-S because I wanted it LESS sporty...AGAIN...because I have a short commute and prefer ride quality.
Instructor

Yeah that would of been nice and I agree. I do wish it had a lighter wheel. That is what the aftermarket is for. Maybe it was during the time frame of the car being produced during the recession and all and the crowd it was attracting. At $40k mainly older middle age guys that were more concerned over the looks, Slightly bigger brakes, ground effects kit, a cool looking exhaust, a bunch of standard interior electronics and other eye candy to get the consumer to pay the premium. I am sure if there was a market for it they could of had another trim that was focused on being lighter with even more power and only came standard with a manual transmission with 1000 made or so.

The factory waffle wheel looks so damn good and I don't really plan on getting a lighter aftermarket wheel anytime soon. I went down that road with a prior vehicle I had. A Neon SRT-4. Bought a set of 17x7 Konig Daylites. They weighed 14.5lbs each and were under $120 a piece. Prior to those I was running the factory SRT-4 BBS ACR wheels which were 16x7 and weighed 18lbs each. A lighter wheel does help all around, less rotational mass for the win. Car felt a bit different, but I was not a professionally driver that actually road-coursed regularly to feel the difference. But for a daily at the time not so much.

I drive 16 miles each way to work and I too enjoy a nice smooth ride for my daily. I removed the spare tire and the hardware to help a tiny bit for weight savings.Don't plan on doing much other than that since it is a 3600lb behemoth. But to todays standard that is normal for that type of vehicle.
Safety Car

BTW, roll forging is another way to say "flow forming".
Old 03-13-2017, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Got an email back from a seller selling the reproduction TL-S wheels. Was told they are "approx. 22-23lbs each" Not sure about that one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replica TL-S wheels....a few months later