Recommended 18 inch wheel tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 10:52 PM
JDM FREAK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recommended 18 inch wheel tires

Ok, here is my dilemma.
I've scratched two of the rims i have on the right side, passenger front and rear, and i had enough of buying rims (considering that the rim i had just scratched is a new one that i just bought 2 months ago and have less than 800 miles on).
Today, i purchased TWO DAMN NEW rims, and hopefully, i wont scratch them, and i want to protect them against minor or sever scrtached by getting bigger tires
the dealer told me that once the Yokohama tire is removed, it cannot be put on again because of the inner steel structure, so here is what i'm considering.
Have the regular A-SPEC tires in the front which measures ( 235/40R18 95W), and put (265/40R18) in the rear.
Now, i haven't tried that method yet, but thought of asking you guys first, and i believe i read something about someone putting 265/40/18 on their TL, please advice
Old 05-04-2004, 12:53 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

You don't necessarily need to buy wider tires, but tires with rim guards. That said, some Falken tires and Bridgestone Potenzas (RE750s) both have rim guards that have a strip of rubber that extend beyond the edge of the rim, giving you some protection.

That way you get the best of both worlds - tires that do not negatively affect your speedometer/ABS, etc, and tires that protect your rims. I have the 235/40/18 Potenza RE750s on my car and the rim guard definitely gives some protection to all but the most severe curb rashes.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:42 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Qatar
Ok, here is my dilemma.
I've scratched two of the rims i have on the right side, passenger front and rear, and i had enough of buying rims (considering that the rim i had just scratched is a new one that i just bought 2 months ago and have less than 800 miles on).
Today, i purchased TWO DAMN NEW rims, and hopefully, i wont scratch them, and i want to protect them against minor or sever scrtached by getting bigger tires
the dealer told me that once the Yokohama tire is removed, it cannot be put on again because of the inner steel structure, so here is what i'm considering.
Have the regular A-SPEC tires in the front which measures ( 235/40R18 95W), and put (265/40R18) in the rear.
Now, i haven't tried that method yet, but thought of asking you guys first, and i believe i read something about someone putting 265/40/18 on their TL, please advice
One question: What position is your side mirror adjuster in? You do realize that if you move it to the right or the left, the respective side mirror will tilt down when you go in reverse, which should help you to prevent ruining your rims. But, if you leave it in the middle, neither mirror will tilt down.

Mark
Old 05-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Instructor

My dealer told me about a warranty on rims and tires. For the price of 499.00 I get full coverage on my rims and tires for as long as my warranty on the car holds up... Anyone else? ??
Old 05-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Shift_faster

Lore, if I remember correctly, you have the A-Spec rims right? Does the Potenza rim guard stick out even more than the outward curved wheel spoke? I'm trying to picture a tire with "rim" protection...I've never seen it before, or if I have I haven't noticed it...
Old 05-04-2004, 03:02 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Lore, if I remember correctly, you have the A-Spec rims right? Does the Potenza rim guard stick out even more than the outward curved wheel spoke? I'm trying to picture a tire with "rim" protection...I've never seen it before, or if I have I haven't noticed it...
Yes, it does. In other words, if you hold a ruler up from the ground and put it against the wheel and tires, the first thing it will hit is the rim guard. Granted, you might only have half a centimeter of clearance with a 235/40/18 but it's just enough to get you to stop driving the way you're driving. The rim guard is really stiff; it won't depress like the bulge in the tire will when you hit a curb.

If you get 245/40/18 Potenza RE750s with the rim guards I think you would have the perfect amount of protection without too many side effects on your speedo.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:54 AM
Advanced

Thumbs up Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's: Installed these two weeks ago. "Consumer Reports rated this ultra high performance tire #1 in this category.

I installed these after dealer agreed to replace two scratched up wheels for free. I put on 255/40/18's and love them, better quieter ride and performance plus plenty of wheel protection without the outer bead. These tires are designed with built in wheel flange protection. Scratched up wheels be gone...

Caution: these are not cheap tires... quite expensive... best deals I found were from independent tire shops... much better than the big discount chains and online suppliers.... Good Luck...
Old 05-07-2004, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I just bought some Toyo Proxies4 and they have a rim guard ... don't worry about scratching up my rims (guess I've been lucky so far!) ... knock on wood. I like them ... maybe not as performance oriented as the Goodyears but good enough for my purposes.

- derrick