Rear Tire Wear - SB05-050 Dealer Spin

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Tire Wear - SB05-050 Dealer Spin

Anyone have an experience like this?

I have an 04TL, 6sp. I put a lot of miles on my car as I am in Sales and I was an early purchaser. At 13K miles I noticed significant rear tire wear. This was just beginning on this forum, so I took it to my dealer.

As usual, dealer claimed that nothing was wrong and indicated that the tire wear was possibly the result of my driving habits. I don't want to get into my response, but let's just say I disagreed - the tires would not be wearing so evenly...

At 19K, I replaced my tires with PZero Nero. Now, I have 50K miles, but the tires are definitely wearing more in the rear (down to tread bars). So, I take it back to the dealer to get the SB done before my warranty expires (set appt before I had 50K) and this is what I get - after keeping the car all day.

Sir, I pulled the SB regarding rear tire wear. Since you have "after market" tires, we cannot complete this SB and you need to contact Acura Client Service. I was thinking that he was referring to replacing my tires, which I did not expect and I said, I understand.

What I did not realize is that he was talking about performing any part of the SB.
Of course, the Service Advisor was vague about this on the phone and had left before I got there. I find out the SB was not done by reading the worksheet.

I am stewing this weekend because I can't call Acura to complain and I can't get to the service writer either. I was not asking them to replace my tires, just fix the bump stops per the SB.

I do not see anywhere on the SB that this is not covered, if you have replaced the tires. These guys are true morons. How long do they think those POS EL42s last, anyhow?

Anyone else have this experience?

As usual, I will need to waste more time at the Acura dealer. This car spent more time at the dealer the first six months I owned it than my 96 Mercury Sable did in 200K miles. The car is nice, but there have been too many problems for my taste.

This is my first foreign car purchase and it will be my last Honda product for a long time! Even my wife complains about how often this car needs to go to the dealer and now that my warranty is over I will be getting it from both ends - my wife up top (jawin' at my ear) and Honda from below (you know where)!
Old 09-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
the service guy thinks that you want the tires replaced too. Just tell im to put in the stops and not worry about the tires.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Instructor

I think you dealer is just plain wrong. The bump stop adjustment proves that this is not a tire specific problem - but a suspension setup problem. If they won't fix it, take to another dealer.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Advanced

I plan to tell him to replace the stops, but it is another trip to the dealer, which I have had at least a dozen, to address significant warranty issues, more wasted time and I am p*ssed off that I left the car there all day, they obviously were not going to do the repair, and they did not call me until after 5pm to tell me to pick up the car. When I got to the dealer and understood what was really going on, the Service Advisor was gone.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Intermediate

I see that you're in Ellicott City. Was the dealer Acura West by any chance? They are the worst. You should run, now walk, away from that dump.

I just had the same issue and took it to Criswell in Annapolis. They readily agreed to replace the bump stops, but then we realized my VIN was not within the correct range (I have the correct bump stops already). I have experience with both Acura West, where I bought my car, and Criswell and Criswell service is far better. Ask for John Rokos or Jeff.