Question regarding weights on a spec rims...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:23 PM
08 TL-S Kinetic Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question regarding weights on a spec rims...?

Just got my new 18 inch a spec rims mounted and balanced from my dealership today...I drive home and the weights are pretty much missing. One rim has them all still one but the others have them missing....is this normal or should I complain at my Acura dealership? I wasnt happy when they put small scratches on the rims to begin with...what should I do?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joeybabyluvsu
Just got my new 18 inch a spec rims mounted and balanced from my dealership today...I drive home and the weights are pretty much missing. One rim has them all still one but the others have them missing....is this normal or should I complain at my Acura dealership? I wasnt happy when they put small scratches on the rims to begin with...what should I do?
You in Rochester NY? John Holtz Acura?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:23 AM
08 TL-S Kinetic Blue

Yea Im in Rochester and thats the dealership...what is the answer I am looking for?
Old 06-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Fight On!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never owned a car that had the same amount of weights on all four wheels.

The # of weights depends on what it takes for them to balance that particular wheel.

It varies per wheel and they don't depend on each other. The wheels and mounted tires may weigh (about) the same but the weights counter/correct any variance (wobble) when they are spinning.

As for the scratches...they owe u new wheels especially since those are factory wheels and they didn't know how to put them on without scratching them. They'll probably try to say u did it.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:15 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
lets see if I were to get my wheels mounted at the dealer and they scratched my wheels I would demand new wheels... as far as the weights falling off, they didnt clean them before putting the weight on... dust + adhesive = fall off
Old 06-24-2008, 10:43 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by stillhere153
lets see if I were to get my wheels mounted at the dealer and they scratched my wheels I would demand new wheels... as far as the weights falling off, they didnt clean them before putting the weight on... dust + adhesive = fall off
Nobody stated that any weights fell off. The original poster simply seems to be under a false pretense that all four wheels should have the same number of weights installed on them when in fact, a wheel or two may not even need ANY weights.

In short, the mounting place uses weights to balance a tire/wheel combo. You don't always need weights so not having them may well not be an issue. However, if there is vibration, you may want to have them re-balanced (at their cost).
Old 06-24-2008, 12:04 PM
08 TL-S Kinetic Blue

Well obviously i did check to see if there were weights on all 4 rims before I left and there were and then noticed a few small scratches on them as well. The rim doctor should be working on my car tomorrow....as for the weights when i got home from the dealership yesterday, they must of fell off....so looks like someone does not know what they mean or are talking about in this case =)
Old 06-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Instructor

Unfortunately for you baby, that Acura dealership blows chunks. Wouldn't surprise me if all the weights eventually fell off.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:48 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ndabunka
Nobody stated that any weights fell off. The original poster simply seems to be under a false pretense that all four wheels should have the same number of weights installed on them when in fact, a wheel or two may not even need ANY weights.

In short, the mounting place uses weights to balance a tire/wheel combo. You don't always need weights so not having them may well not be an issue. However, if there is vibration, you may want to have them re-balanced (at their cost).

as you can see by the post right bellow yours the op is clearly stating that some fell off...

Originally Posted by joeybabyluvsu
...there were weights on all 4 rims before I left and there were and then noticed a few small scratches on them as well. The rim doctor should be working on my car tomorrow....as for the weights when i got home from the dealership yesterday, they must of fell off...