Is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this possible?

I drove cross country in my baby and had a blast doing it.

I went from New York to California in 9 days.

Here is whats wierd. I went in to get a tire rotation and balance and found that the rears were almost bald. The fronts seem to be OK however.

I drove with alot of stuff in the back seat as well as a full trunk full of my stuff. I relocated to California so I had to take all my junk.
I also did alot of sustained 90+ mph stretches of interstates on the way here.

Could this increased weight plus the high speeds cause this kind of wear?
I'm worried that it could be something else. I got an alignment a while back and I got the tires balanced before I left New York. The tires didn't show any kind of problems before I left.

Could someone please chime in and let me know if I should be worried about this?

On the plus side, this gives me an opportunity to ponder the idea of new wheels with the new tires I'm gonna need...heheheh
Old 08-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Check out https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141771 and TSB 05-050 mentioned therein regarding excessive rear tire wear. Hope that helps.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Pro

Will,

Thank you so much!

I have called the local Acura dealer and told them about the TSB and they have ordered the rear bump stops so that I can have them installed.

I don't think that they will give me new tires but I will try calling Acura Customer Service and see if they can reimburse some money to me for the lost mileage on my tires. With my experience with Acura thus far, I won't be expecting much of anything.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Pro

So, my wife took the car in today to get an oil change and have the tires looked at. I gave her a copy of the TSB and they acknowledged the issue. My wife set up a new appointment for saturday and so I will go in on saturday for the fix.

They told me that they would replace all my Pirellis with the michelins that come stock now on the TL's.

THey said that they would have to prorate the tires. I figured that if I just pay for the 2 new Pirellis, I would still be making out better since I'm getting much better tires.

I'm geting more and more dissappointed with Acura as time goes by with this damn TL. First I have major issues with rattles that still have not been resolved. Then I have the heat shield issue that was not resolved. Now its the damn suspension thats giving me headaches. I don't think I'll buy Acura again.

ACS will be hearing from as well...

just needed to vent a bit...

BTW, do the new bump stops actually fix this issue? or is it one of those heat shield fixes that never really was a fix to begin with.....
Old 08-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Pro

So this past Saturday, I took the car in to the dealer to have TSB 05-050 done to my car. The dealer denied this service from me stating that they needed to get permission from Acura because my car is past the warranty mileage. Also the tire replacement on the TSB would be a problem. I told them this was fine, I don't want their crappy Bridgestones or Michelins. I just want the bump stops installed so that I don't have to go through new rear tires every 6 months.

So I said fine, ask them for permission and give me a call back when you find out if this TSB can be one.

Fast forward to today, I get a call from the dealer and they tell me that Acura will not do this TSB for me. So I call ACS myself and explain my deal to them. They then tell me that they won't do it either. Then I go all ballistic on the poor girl and tell them that this is an inherent defect in the car. How could they not fix this for me? I never had this issue with my tires before because the rear was never loaded for a long drive. The drive out to California helped me discover that this was an issue. So I asked the girl on the phone, "Am I supposed to never have rear passengers or be able to have cargo in the trunk for a road trip on my 4 door car?" I asked her if this made any sense to her and she then said that she would present it to a case manager and he would get back to me.

So now I'm pretty frustrated with Acura and now must wait a couple of days more to have this matter dealt with.

I really don't think I'll buy another Acura again. Even though that new Type-S looks good, I'm sure it will have massive problems and Acura will most likely not address them. Lexus is my next stop. I have only heard good things about their service. Although Lexus' cars are a bit on the boring side as far as sportiness, I will prefer to take the better service experience. GS here I come in 2 years.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:52 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HuKaShI
BTW, do the new bump stops actually fix this issue? or is it one of those heat shield fixes that never really was a fix to begin with.....

The bump stops are a band-aid fix - not an actual fix for the route cause.... Basically, they stop your rear suspension travel at a point where the suspension geometry isn't bad enough to wear out the tires,,, "as fast"........ Definitely going to make for a rough ride for your rear passengers etc. if loaded to the point were the rear is resting on the bump-stops..

I have yet to throw the family in mine for any trips due to not wanting to ruin my Michelin PS2's.... Heaven knows Acura wouldn't replace them....