Please help me out???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help me out???

Sorry, for not putting this post on the tire page, but I did, and even though some responders have tried to help me, I still need more direction.
Please see my post about "confused about tires and wheels"
Do to a back injury I received in the military, the stiffer ride of the tl, is really causing me pain, but I do love the car, and dont want to have to trade it in.
I have the 17 inch with the stock michelins on an 05 tl, auto, nav, black on black.
I really wanted to get 18 inch tires and wheels, but will settle on keeping the 17's, but I am willing to sacrifice speed performance, for a more cushier ride. I need a tire that will be good for the wet weather(snow and rain as well)
Called tire rack, and they suggested 16,s , but that is out of the question for me on this car.
Please help me, get a cushier ride (or not so taut). I will almost never have this car, over 80 miles an hour, and it is my daily commuter, in a crowded urban area, with lousy roads. I dont know much about tires, so please help me. I would hate to say goodbye to this car, with only 2000 miles on it.

Much regards Flatfoot
Old 07-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Since the mention of your injury in this thread gives the thread a whole new meaning from your previous thread, I have decided to move this thread to Tires & Wheels and close your other thread.

Hopefully, with this new information, you will get more of the kind of advice you need to get a softer ride, which wasn't really mentioned in your previous thread until the last post.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ron A
Since the mention of your injury in this thread gives the thread a whole new meaning from your previous thread, I have decided to move this thread to Tires & Wheels and close your other thread.

Hopefully, with this new information, you will get more of the kind of advice you need to get a softer ride, which wasn't really mentioned in your previous thread until the last post.
Thanks Ron, I do appreciate it, but In the thread(but not at the beginning, but in a response, I did mention this. )
I had test driven the 04,s before I went on my latest adventure courtesy of our Uncle Sam. When I got back, I got an 05. I didnt remember the ride being so tight, but then I didnt have this injury to my back then. And it has become a problem for me. So looking forward to some advice,from the very knowledgable and informative participants on this group and hope to have myself a more enjoyable driving experience.
Much regards Flatfoot
Old 07-03-2005, 10:04 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by flatfoot
Sorry, for not putting this post on the tire page, but I did, and even though some responders have tried to help me, I still need more direction.
Please see my post about "confused about tires and wheels"
Do to a back injury I received in the military, the stiffer ride of the tl, is really causing me pain, but I do love the car, and dont want to have to trade it in.
I have the 17 inch with the stock michelins on an 05 tl, auto, nav, black on black.
I really wanted to get 18 inch tires and wheels, but will settle on keeping the 17's, but I am willing to sacrifice speed performance, for a more cushier ride. I need a tire that will be good for the wet weather(snow and rain as well)
Called tire rack, and they suggested 16,s , but that is out of the question for me on this car.
Please help me, get a cushier ride (or not so taut). I will almost never have this car, over 80 miles an hour, and it is my daily commuter, in a crowded urban area, with lousy roads. I dont know much about tires, so please help me. I would hate to say goodbye to this car, with only 2000 miles on it.

Much regards Flatfoot
You CANNOT go to 18-inch wheels on this car as the ride would simply become EVEN MORE HARSH. Rather, you DO have a better option. You can go to a taller sidewall the 245/45/17's work "just fine" on my TL. I went with a performance tire (The Dunlop 9000's) and so far the performance is even BETTER than the prior set of Pontenza RE030's (The "High Performance" option) and the ride is FAR smoother. I personally like the 245/45's because they fill up the wheel well better.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by ndabunka
You CANNOT go to 18-inch wheels on this car as the ride would simply become EVEN MORE HARSH. Rather, you DO have a better option. You can go to a taller sidewall the 245/45/17's work "just fine" on my TL. I went with a performance tire (The Dunlop 9000's) and so far the performance is even BETTER than the prior set of Pontenza RE030's (The "High Performance" option) and the ride is FAR smoother. I personally like the 245/45's because they fill up the wheel well better.
I agree...18's will only make the ride more harsh...also, whatever you do, do not lower your car, ASPEC or otherwise.

Since you don't want 16's, your only option is to beef up the side wall, which getting 245's will do. Alternatively, you can go with a 50 series tire...combine that with 245's, and you'll be just over the MAX tire size according to the fitment guide; however, everyone with 20's is over the MAX (and over what a 245/50 is), and most have no rubbing. That would be my suggestion, given your latest statements, 245/50/17.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
You are complaining about a stiff ride, but you want to go a size up? Nope; not gonna happen.

235/50/17 will be slightly off on the speedometer/odometer reading, but it will provide a taller sidewall to soften up the ride a little bit. Also make sure the tire has a soft sidewall.

Or if you want to spend more money, then change out the springs and struts and replace with adjustable ones. Then set the damping rate at the softest. At the softest setting on my Tein SS, my car rides like a Buick... and if you've ever driven a Buick, then you know what I'm talking about.