Please Help! Hit a tire in middle of the road!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help! Hit a tire in middle of the road!

Hi there, I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I was just on my way home from Fort Myers, and the car in front of me braked suddenly and swerved out of my lane leaving me unable to hit a wheel lying in the middle of my lane on i75. My left front tires’ side wall is completely cut and I have a tare in the rim about the size of a pencil eraser. My left rear tire has visible damage to the sidewall (chunky looking cut) but the tire is still inflated just a black dot on the rim as visible damage. I have no idea what other damage if any occurred to the car. I would think that a complete alignment would be necessary, but who knows what the insurance company is going to allow.

I have just over 23K miles on the original tires (Michelin MXM4’s, 235X45 R117 stock) on a 2006 TL with about 10 - 11 months left in the lease. I have USAA insurance and carry a $250 comprehensive deductible and $500- for collision deductible.

What do I do? These tires suck for Florida driving. If I take it to the dealership what happens? Is the insurance company going to pay for 2 brand new Michelin tires? What kind of tires do I want on it? Does it make sense to replace the left side and do nothing to the right side? Obviously because it is a least, I don’t want to pay a lot out of pocket.

What am I going to do? Please help! Thanks.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Have a shop check for damage- its very easy to have bent suspension from a tire hit like that. Comp covers this since it was an object in the road, not another car that you encountered. Once you know the damage $$ you can decide to check junkyards for a pair of rims. If you have mismatched tire brands at lease end they will charge you for that.
Check the contract for details

A good lesson in leaving more room between cars--a recent ziner caravan home from a meet and the 1st car sees a shovel (gulp) on the freeway and hits it with the left wheels- same type damage as OP of this thread- the next ziner behind him saw a shovel flying thru the air towards him and partailly dodged it- ---

Some years ago- I knew a guy in an RX7 hit a semi truck tire and rim- that had fallen off the spare holder, he hit straight on at 70, car endoed and he went out the sunroof!
bent the steering wheel back trying to hold on- and that was wearing seatbelts-!!!
he was ejected with the standard loss of life.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
that realy sucks

I'd say just get those two tires changed, and have a good mechanic check the rest of the car as a precaution. If you go through insurance, they'll fins some way to put you at fault and all you get are higher rates.

or you cant take this oppurtunity to get 4 new tires. if you're paying out of your pocket, i like Falken FK452. Dealership will just replace 2 tires and steal your money.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do we people visit online forums for insurance questions? If you dont know what your insurance is going to do then may you should call their claims department and ask. Regardless of what anyone here says, its your insurance company that decides.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by flydog
Why do we people visit online forums for insurance questions? If you dont know what your insurance is going to do then may you should call their claims department and ask. Regardless of what anyone here says, its your insurance company that decides.
I called USAA immediately after I got off the phone with roadside assistance. It was about 5:45 P.M. There wasn’t anyone there to help me. I was looking for some help from someone who may have some experience in this matter before I go to the Acura dealership and find myself paying several grand out of pocket. Is this not what the purpose for this forum is for? Thanks for your help Flydog!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How can anyone here prevent the dealership from charging you or the insurance company from not reimbursing you? Where you going to print out the forum page to show them that PudWacker99 said so? Like a note from your mother sort of thing?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
How can anyone here prevent the dealership from charging you or the insurance company from not reimbursing you? Where you going to print out the forum page to show them that PudWacker99 said so? Like a note from your mother sort of thing?
If you have nothing positive to add, just move on.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Instructor

What am I asking Flydog? I am asking for some advice for a couple of issues that I am not familiar with. I pay for a lease on the car, I pay a insurance company, and take my car in for regular maintenance. I never have amy issues with my car. I'm not out to screw anyone nor do I want to get screwed. I just want some advice on how to handle this. Of course the Acura Dealership is going to recomend front and rear alignment, 2 new rims and 4 new Michelin MXM4’s. Is that what you would do if you were in my situation Flydog? I don't necessarly think that this is my best option concidering that I am guessing that It will cost north of $3K when I only have between $5K amd $6K lor remaining lease payments.

This is all that I am asking.

1) Should I replace with original equipment, or buy something else.

2) Should I replace 2 tires or 4 tires?

3) Does anyone know if insurance generaly pro-rate for tread weare?

4) is the insurance company going to call an allignment routine maintenance?
Old 05-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Ok, you really need to talk with USAA. You're obviously worried about what to do and the first people you need to talk to are the claims folks at USAA. I've been a member for nigh on 40 years and the reason is 'cause they're a damn fine company. The wife and I have been in a few accidents over the years, some our fault and some not, and they have always taken care of us, no questions asked. Based on my experience, I don't think you'll be out anything, as another poster stated, the accident wasn't your fault. As far as the damage, USAA has preferred shops they recommend and if you use one of those you don't even have to wait for an adjuster to look at the car, the shop will be authorized to fix whatever is wrong. Unless USAA is going to spring for 4 new tires I'D suck it up, get 2 replacements and then turn the car in at the end of the lease without penalty. IF you want to buy the car at the end of the lease then you may want to go with 4 better tires now and still have reasonable tread wear at the end of the lease.
Anyway give USAA a call, they'll take care of you, probably better than anyone on here will.